Premna Microphylla styling advice

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I hard pruned this Premna last May. As you can see it's grown a lot since then even though it's been trimmed back dozens of times (they grow like crazy). I'm not sure what to do with it now that it's filled out. It looks uninspiring to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 79
  • premna 1-19-13.jpg
    premna 1-19-13.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 85

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Mike, I don't know anything about that particular plant. But what I can suggest is that you find a new front. Turn it little by little, and even take photos. Look at each angle and see if there isn't something stylistically more pleasing.
I have a K.Hornbeam twin trunk, that turning made all the difference. I would also suggest allowing one trunk to run free while keeping the other in check, so that one becomes more dominant than the other. Normally this would be the tree towards the front of the tree, once it's turned.
Just my thoughts.
Btw, nice potential in this tree.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mike,

If this was mine, I would place it into a larger pot (again?) and let it grow for a couple of years to build a larger trunk. If it is in the larger pot already, then I would pot it into an even larger one. Really let it grow and build up a larger trunk.

Regards,
Martin

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think your left trunk needs to be shortened by at least half so that there is a true dominant trunk. Let us know what you decide?

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think your left trunk needs to be shortened by at least half so that there is a true dominant trunk. Let us know what you decide?
I took your advice but went a little further - I removed the left trunk completely. I think it looks a lot better. I'll let it grow out for awhile to thicken it up. Thanks for your advice.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mike, you dont mess around, do you?
I think you kept the best trunk. Sometimes it helps seeing the tree one month apart to get a better feel for the time lapse aspect of growth. That way, if something strikes you as good or bad, you may be able to redirect/remove/let it be. I wish I had done that with all of my trees, but I'm a bonehead and just didnt. Dont be a bonehead.

Top Bottom