Preparing to dig a rather large yew, looking for additional advice in case I am missing something...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seeing a ruler next to the trunk puts everything in perspective. It's HUGE! I've looked at trunks growing in the ground half that size and walked away because of the effort involved digging them up.
I hope this tree pulls through for you because you have put in a ton of effort and did your homework before you attempted collecting it.
Nice.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is huge. Be interested to see where this one goes. But first two+ years in a container to regrow roots I suppose

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is huge. Be interested to see where this one goes. But first two+ years in a container to regrow roots I suppose

I fully expect it to spend 2 - 3 years but it could be up to 5 before it is recovered and ready for initial work. That seems a bit long not knowing if it will take at all but "if" all goes well I find the time worth it. The area it is in is out of your line of site here and basically where the oil tank, ac unit, and mower lives so it won't be in the way. All I will be doing is moving it 2 feet or so when the ground dries up a bit and I can get pictures of the wider side. After that water and wait :rolleyes:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update - Even with all else going on here 8 weeks later it seems to be going ok so far. As I was told by "few" the few old shots I left on faded and died and it is full steam back budding now -

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1505.JPG
    GEDC1505.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 110
  • GEDC1506.JPG
    GEDC1506.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 112
  • GEDC1507.JPG
    GEDC1507.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 109

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Killer! She's a sprouting all over up in there! Good deal.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I know I tend to be a Pendejo at times and I realy don't intende to be one here but from the photos it looks like you are trying to make a bonsai of a barn door? If it is possible could you post pictures of the tree?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know I tend to be a Pendejo at times and I realy don't intende to be one here but from the photos it looks like you are trying to make a bonsai of a barn door? If it is possible could you post pictures of the tree?

There are 4 pictures of it after collection in post 60. The plan for this one is to remove some of the columnar branching, extensive carving, and a strong tilt to one side. There should be enough branches by then to have a large but workable piece.

Grimmy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any indication which way this one is going? Getting strong recovery growth yet?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any indication which way this one is going?

Pretty good so far. It was bare of any growth on 04/02/15 at collection. It took 6 weeks to see any new buds but today 12 -13 weeks later it looks like I will have some new branches before Winter sets in. Here it is today and I would have answered earlier but the weather has been a little rough here the last few days. The first picture is on the side that gets 2 hours of evening sun. The second is the side that is in shade. I will just let it go like that Until Spring and rotate it then to see what happens.

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1547.JPG
    GEDC1547.JPG
    592.1 KB · Views: 82
  • GEDC1548.JPG
    GEDC1548.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 80

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes I agree. It is when trees reach this point you can be almost certain it will survive, it is also the point where some would think they have a green light and start cutting and repotting the tree. If this tree were mine, considering how large it seems to be from the photos, I would leave it alone for at least another two, maybe three, years. If you hurry these trees you are likely to lose them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If this tree were mine, considering how large it seems to be from the photos

Yes it is a "big boy" - in that 17 gal container it is in the 220 pound range :eek: I totally agree with your statement of keeping it growing a few years and actually put it in a spot it can be for 4, 5 or however long it takes to be worthy of a "Potter" type carving and initial style. Huge bones on this one and I expect in 5 years or so if all goes well it will never be under 150 pounds but that is how I roll :rolleyes: I am fortunate in that I retired at 54 in good health and at 60 I have "time" to see it through.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Been having issues with not being able to post...no box comes up to type in...seen this earlier and couldn't comment.

I'm sure this beast was a bit of elbow Grease...glad your seeing signs that all that hard work paid off.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nice Grimmy. I too have 2 monsters I collected this spring. Pretty much removed 100% field soil/clay and they are in 8" deep boxes and pumice. Tons of roots and quite a bit of foliage retained. 30% shade and mist from May-beg. of July (so cold here this spring really slowed things down) and I'm getting growth now, but not terribly impressive. These two are still not a guaranteed success,but I think so... lol Good luck man!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice Grimmy.

Thank you and yes we had a weird Spring as well. What I did notice on two others as large but not collected and just cut down to 3 1/2 foot tall is this - One was watered two times a day as is the one collected. Those two are budding at a reasonable rate. The other uncollected that I chopped just received natural rain up until a week or so ago and is budding MUCH slower. On a bright note slower does not mean dead just not as happy ;) Since I noticed it now also receives two good doses of water and it seems to be doing much better now.
I have been keeping an unusually close eye on them and have been trying to share as much as I can on these as there really seems to be limited or mixed information on them. So far ok though and good luck to you as well!

Grimmy

Top Bottom