Prepping some Siberian Elm Urbandori for spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
My friends back yard was overgrown with siberian elms. I told him I'd cut them back and dig them out closer to spring. Some of them actually look like promising material. So about a month ago I went about his yard with some loppers. This morning I went back to check on them and was surprised at the amount of backbudding that had happened this late in the summer and with how hot it's been, coupled with the fact that no one has been watering them. I'm pretty certain they're all root suckers from a larger tree. Anyways, I did some wiring on the new leaders and took pics of the more promising weed trees. My only concern is I might not have until spring to dig them up as my friend is talking about finding a more affordable rental. So I might have to dig them up in the fall🙁 most are shohin size, and sorry for the bad lighting, it was 100 degrees and super bright.

The two I'm most interested in.
0703B928-265B-44FF-9ADE-49F238CFF2E5.jpeg

CA782CD3-A578-44C5-8386-D167CB0BD413.jpeg

Hard to tell, but this is a stump that's been repeatedly cut back into a nasty deadwood stumpy mess. I'm excited about making a sumo or something out of it.
5EB7F1EF-D116-4E16-8E0F-2D72E50DED6D.jpeg

This one was cut back a couple times and the new leader has some weird movement going on.
CC53194A-6956-4C6B-9FF2-A50C7BD7A893.jpeg

There are a few more but they're mostly sling shots, I'll dig them up anyways because they're free. But the ones I photographed I'm most excited for.

Dblvisn

Seedling
Reaction score
My friends back yard was overgrown with siberian elms. I told him I'd cut them back and dig them out closer to spring. Some of them actually look like promising material. So about a month ago I went about his yard with some loppers. This morning I went back to check on them and was surprised at the amount of backbudding that had happened this late in the summer and with how hot it's been, coupled with the fact that no one has been watering them. I'm pretty certain they're all root suckers from a larger tree. Anyways, I did some wiring on the new leaders and took pics of the more promising weed trees. My only concern is I might not have until spring to dig them up as my friend is talking about finding a more affordable rental. So I might have to dig them up in the fall🙁 most are shohin size, and sorry for the bad lighting, it was 100 degrees and super bright.

The two I'm most interested in.
View attachment 394755

View attachment 394753

Hard to tell, but this is a stump that's been repeatedly cut back into a nasty deadwood stumpy mess. I'm excited about making a sumo or something out of it.
View attachment 394757

This one was cut back a couple times and the new leader has some weird movement going on.
View attachment 394758

There are a few more but they're mostly sling shots, I'll dig them up anyways because they're free. But the ones I photographed I'm most excited for.
They are a tremendously resilient plant ! Potted and put in the garage they will survive easily .

Dblvisn

Seedling
Reaction score
I would trench in September and grab it in spring before the buds break

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t overthink the collection of Siberian elm. Dig them in spring and get as many roots as you can but remove any vertically growing roots or tap roots when you pot it up. Don’t hesitate to remove more roots before you pot it. I would also cut back the branches and trunk hard. I would also consider screwing the trees to a board or planting them on a tile. Don’t worry too much about the pests. I can almost guarantee they will grow and grow well.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Whatever is eating them is possibly already present in your area. The Siberians in my neighbors' yards show the same pattern of insect damage, with the older spring leaves heavily damaged, and all the new summer growth undamaged. Whatever the culprit is, it isn't killing the tree. I potted up a tiny sprout this spring, keep it 20 feet away from the parent (or cousin) tree, and it hasn't been touched by bugs. I wouldn't worry about the bugs yet, plenty of time to figure out whatever intervention might be needed later on.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The first one looks interesting.

You mentioned your friend might move.
Wait as long as you can to collect them and if you have to collect them early be prepared with the proper sized containers and soil to put them in. Also be careful with the after care and give then proper protection from wind and if you get cold in the winter where you are.

People say Siberian elms are tough though so you have a decent chance of survival

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Don’t overthink the collection of Siberian elm. Dig them in spring and get as many roots as you can but remove any vertically growing roots or tap roots when you pot it up. Don’t hesitate to remove more roots before you pot it. I would also cut back the branches and trunk hard. I would also consider screwing the trees to a board or planting them on a tile. Don’t worry too much about the pests. I can almost guarantee they will grow and grow well.
I'm not sure I'll replant them into the ground. They're invasive here and I don't want to deal with potential root suckers on my lot😂 I have some raised garden beds I might plant them in since the heatwaves this year pretty much destroyed my wife's future desire for vegetable gardens. I'll probably plant most in wooden boxes. I'll definitely do the tile or board trick though, ty.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The first one looks interesting.

You mentioned your friend might move.
Wait as long as you can to collect them and if you have to collect them early be prepared with the proper sized containers and soil to put them in. Also be careful with the after care and give then proper protection from wind and if you get cold in the winter where you are.

People say Siberian elms are tough though so you have a decent chance of survival
I have some old metal bread carts, like the photo below, I'm going to convert into mini outside greenhouses. Just for the coldest month of the year here. I'm planning on shoving my frost sensitive trees in them during that time, and if need be, the elms if I have to dig them up early. 1630296204510.png

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure I'll replant them into the ground. They're invasive here and I don't want to deal with potential root suckers on my lot😂 I have some raised garden beds I might plant them in since the heatwaves this year pretty much destroyed my wife's future desire for vegetable gardens. I'll probably plant most in wooden boxes. I'll definitely do the tile or board trick though, ty.
Yeah def dont plant them in the ground. Not sure i suggested that? I just know that Siberian elm are insanely tough and can take loads of abuse.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What would you do?

Just shake em off and be diligent.

The reason I noticed is because I have a very keen hatred for Elm Leaf Beetle, though I don't believe that is what they have, due to the trails of brown, (lol, trails of brown). I believe what @Flowerhouse is talking about may be ELB proper. They prefer English Elm here, but if a Siberian Elm is close, those next. Never see them on American Elm.

Truth truth.....

Because the chances of finding a good Nebari on anything in the ground is so small, I would plant them back in the ground and make airlayers.

I doubt they are root suckers, they breed easier than viruses on planes from Texas to DC.

Sorce

Dblvisn

Seedling
Reaction score
Whatever is eating them is possibly already present in your area. The Siberians in my neighbors' yards show the same pattern of insect damage, with the older spring leaves heavily damaged, and all the new summer growth undamaged. Whatever the culprit is, it isn't killing the tree. I potted up a tiny sprout this spring, keep it 20 feet away from the parent (or cousin) tree, and it hasn't been touched by bugs. I wouldn't worry about the bugs yet, plenty of time to figure out whatever intervention might be needed later on.
Japanese beetles love my siberian elms1

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Physical damage like that (holes in middle of leaf) is often beetles. I can usually pick them off and step on them. No chems needed. Had a bunch in a large English elm this spring, but they are easy to see because they are relatively large.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Japanese beetles love my siberian elms1
I have little beetles randomly finding their way into my home in the summer, but they aren't Japanese beetles. I guess I should preserve one and take it to the county extension for an ID.

Top Bottom