Preserving color after plants die. Is this possible?

Reaction score
I want to be able to preserve the color of leaves/needles in a plant, flower, tree.

If thats possible.

I know of wilt pruf. this will probably help

does anyone else know if theres a way to possibly do that?

I could obviously save skeletons of trees, Im just wondering if anyone knows of a good way to preserve color pigments in the leaves or flowers?

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Snow, glad to see you posting! How is the recovery going ?

I have seen some florists preserve flowers by putting the stems in water mixed with glycerin, but I think the stem must be able to absorb water for this method to work. It might work for a small branch that has pretty leaves?

This is probably way too juvenile for what you want to do, but as kids we used to iron pretty fall leaves in between pieces of wax paper, or dip the leaves in gently warmed wax like Mom would use to seal jars of jam. Was this just a thing in Michigan, or did other kids do this too?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Best wishes for a healthy recovery; I think of you often.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heat from A lighter makes junipers green again.

S

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There's a product called Foliage Sealer, that's used in making cut flower arrangements. It's like a hair spray or a fine acrylic spray that should work for your needs. It does seal in moisture so it should also seal in the color somewhat, but for how long I don't know.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They used it at the greenhouse where I used to work full time. Mostly during the Christmas season when we were making live centerpieces or mailbox covers, and the like. We also used Wiltproof, which worked pretty well.

The foliage spray does leave a gloss on the foliage, but there might be matte type spray also for no gloss.

Reaction score
Cool, these are all good Idea's Thanks everyone!!

I might try the wilt pruf idea, that's something I also thought of.

Heat from A lighter makes junipers green again.

S

I have some junipers that have been dead for a few years that I kept just for the heck of it. I can keep them indoors as long as I want and they can't die again!!, I'm gonna go see if this works and hope it doesn't go up like a matchstick

..... After putting the "heat" to the dead needles the end result was nothing... :( If this works maybe because they've been dead for so long it won't work. they are like a soft yellow color. I burned a little piece of a needle and it smelled good, didn't turn green tho.

@
Hi Snow, glad to see you posting! How is the recovery going ?
I have seen some florists preserve flowers by putting the stems in water mixed with glycerin, but I think the stem must be able to absorb water for this method to work. It might work for a small branch that has pretty leaves?
This is probably way too juvenile for what you want to do, but as kids we used to iron pretty fall leaves in between pieces of wax paper, or dip the leaves in gently warmed wax like Mom would use to seal jars of jam. Was this just a thing in Michigan, or did other kids do this too?
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Best wishes for a healthy recovery; I think of you often.

Recovery is going great! the first surgery went very well. after they amputated my arm and shoulder to remove the tumor I felt a million times better! I was back at it about a week after I felt like I had fully recovered! obviously, things were still healing...
I go back for the lung surgery in November, then I have to hold off on everything for about 2 months at least, so I don't hurt myself. I am so excited to be done with cancer!

The one-handed wiring is not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I do have to be extra careful to not knock new buds off. There's not a lot of things that are more difficult only having 1 hand. Cutting things I have to be very careful.

I'm picking up woodworking and clay sculpting, maybe I can somehow incorporate them into Bonsai!
Should be fun!!

How have you been?! you can send me a message anytime!

Top Bottom