Presumed recurrent fungal infection on Trident Maple

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure why a bacterial infection would be caused by a root fungus?

Hazarding an opinion, over the past years it seems to me folks with high humidity, hot weather and a water retentive media like bark and those who have done a lot of work on their trees at non optional times, seem to have the most issues.

Yet I’m only an expert for what works in this yard, containing many different species of trees . 😎.

That said, I rarely have issues and these mainly crop up when we have the torrential rainfall in spring or fall, when I jam a bunch of cuttings or trees close together, water too late in the day or try to force work on a tree at inappropriate times.

When issues first crop up, there is an established protocol that works for the trees here.

cheers
DSD sends
I guess you are making the point I was making before about not having to use H2O2: Work on healthy plants. Use the best horticultural practices and at the right time of the year, and most problems are avoided.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, I removed any diseased leaves/shoots and applied Infuse granular today and have been watching the water. We have been visited by almost daily thunderstorms so keeping the maples drier than usual is an issue but I know the pH is not an issue. However given the inorganic substrate it goes through the pot like shit through a goose, hopefully the Infuse will not be washed out as fast. If that doesn’t work this year I may get out the H2O2 and add that to the mix next year.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And a month later is it cured? It has now had two Infuse treatments and I cut back on watering so it is visibly dry and the new leaves almost wilting before I water it. The new growth is now vigorous with no signs of tip curl, blackening, or disease. At this point there are only these two tips to base that on but more are getting ready to pop so time will tell. I hope this combination works or it may go up for sale!

997F3B1C-693E-4882-92EF-EAF09156F5B3.jpeg02613B57-81F8-4A81-9705-5C3DD1B6F1DC.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good news!

Infuse works well, long lasting and effective as a long lasting systemic and a imho a last resort.

From horticultural perspective it takes pretty much all the fungi, good and bad and reeks long term havoc in the rhizosphere... Something that can allow other issues to surface, leaving one chasing the issues with a sea bag full of different products.

Just for a minute I’m going to put on my, Chemical Hygiene Officer hat (sort of retired).

One should always download and study the product safety data sheet (sds) for a specific product before purchase of hazardous chemicals, which this is. Here is the SDs for Infuse granules. Note the signal word Danger, which is used for more severe hazards along with the first two hazard warnings …. in order of magnitude . May cause cancer if inhaled …Causes damage to organs through repeated and prolonged exposure (which one does as a hobbyist working plants, not to forget dust in storage area… pets and children.

Not trying to scare anyone, just pointing out this product doesn’t only affect the fungi and it’s hazards last a long time too….. Please be safe, wear proper PPE and store in a sealed area out of reach of kids.

There is a reason I recommend Hydrogen Peroxide. While it also has signal word Danger, its risks are easy to avoid with proper PPE and storage away from extreme heat and it’s stay time is very short. It has maximum effectiveness, max stay time varies from five minutes full strength to less then a minute at normal application, chemical by products (fast degradation to O2 + 2H2O) are minimal and safe.

Ok, I’m taking off my hat now.

Cheers
DSD sends

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, the active ingredient is the same as Cleary’s. The reason I got the Infuse granular is I hated to spray Clear’s and other fungicides. After reading the user label and precautions it leaves you afraid to go near the stuff! I have Daconil, Cleary’s and Bonide Infuse liquid and ahte to ise the so a granular form was a way to knock this stuff back without spraying.

Ben in Kzoo

Yamadori
Reaction score
This thread is what I have been looking for… now the 3rd or 4th year, is there a conclusion on how to get rid of that problem?
At least one of my better trident shows symptoms
Thanks all

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lime sulfur in the dormant season, vinegar treatments (Guy Guidry's recommendation, is that in this thread?) in the growing season, and systemic fungicides UNTIL its under control along w/ vigorous growth are the best treatments I'm aware of.

Top Bottom