Pretty Epic mail call today! Thank you Mr. Don Blackmond:)

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So today was a pretty epic mail call day and I just wanted to publicly thank Don Blackmond for being such a true gentleman and an honest straight shooter! Enjoy the pics!

This tree already picked up a little friend in the form of a baby New Mexico lizard:) He's feasting on all of the little Michigan creepy crawlers that hitched a ride over from Don's place. Those are a delicacy to this little guy!

Don, thanks again my friend!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Like hitting the jackpot I'd say! What is the second tree? Ume? If so (and even if not) awesome tree! I really, really love that tree. Would love to see more angles of it please...

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Like hitting the jackpot I'd say! What is the second tree? Ume? If so (and even if not) awesome tree! I really, really love that tree. Would love to see more angles of it please...

Yea Ume, a fairly old one at that! I'm told by Don that it's in it's 60's. I'll get a few more pics up in a little bit for you:)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So today was a pretty epic mail call day and I just wanted to publicly thank Don Blackmond for being such a true gentleman and an honest straight shooter! Enjoy the pics!

Don, thanks again my friend!
Ahhhh, your the one that got this one. I really wanted to pull the trigger on it but just couldn't. :( You have some outstanding trees to add to your collection. Good for you!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Ahhhh, your the one that got this one. I really wanted to pull the trigger on it but just couldn't. :( You have some outstanding trees to add to your collection. Good for you!

Well, the good thing about me having it is that I love to take and post pics:)

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice and beautiful bonsai!

But, that lizard bothered me.
If that lizard can live in your yard is is cold enough for your great maples and outstanding Apricot bonsai?

Bill

Our winters get down into the single digits in winter. We are actually a very seasonal state meaning that Winter feels like Winter, Spring feels like Spring, Summer definitely feels like Summer lol, and Fall feels like Fall. Lizards go away in Oct. Nov. and you won't see another one until mid-late April when they come out:)

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Short answer, yes. I have Western Sage Lizards here among others. Winters can see -30F. But.. Depends on the (lizard) species too. I can't vouch for a New Mexico climate, but they can get some pretty cold nights in areas.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good haul, way to start strong!
Curling Ume leaves now = blooms in January!
We have lizards, Ume and maples all happily living in our yard here too.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So good, thanks for the photos. Do you know the color of blooms? I got a really great ume from Don, pink and white multicolor. My kind of trunk, if I'd seen it first, I'd have that on my bench!

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
So good, thanks for the photos. Do you know the color of blooms? I got a really great ume from Don, pink and white multicolor. My kind of trunk, if I'd seen it first, I'd have that on my bench!

IDK the color of the blooms but maybe Don will chime in soonly:)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Me too Vin...That is one amazing specimen. But, I had just purchased my neagari...and, couldn't do it. Glad to see someone will enjoy that piece. It's amazing...

Reactions: Vin

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
for those of us viewing via small format images (phones)
What species are these plants, can't tell from the pictures.

1. Itoigawa ( 40's in age)
2. Ume (60's in age)
3. Shishigashira (40's in age)
4. Trident root over rock (late teens early 20's in age)
5. Japanese Maple (40's in age)

Last edited:
Top Bottom