Pretty raw Trident

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow...so is this how it is on this forum? Someone shows a new tree that is in the beginning stages and someone who's been doing it longer rags on it and calls it junk? There's a difference between being rude and being helpful with suggestions. I don't need sugar coating but dang...that's the kind of person that's going to discourage new people to bonsai...
It sure can be. Welcome, if you dare.

Sometimes threads derail, then simmer down; and later the OP will post an update after a few months, and the conversation will rightly return to the tree itself.

Sometimes, a new person joins and decides to continue the derail instead of discuss the tree. Are you here to be helpful with suggestions for the tree, or are you here to be rude too?

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm not bent out of shape at all lol it just surprised me that the first thing I search for someone is in the comments with a judgie comment. I don't see why people can't have tact. "Tact is when you tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip" - Winston Churchill. If the tree isn't your style, then offer advice on how to fix it. This is art, some art not everyone likes. You don't need to publicly berate the guy trying to fix it. And as for the guy who mentioned me talking bad about the forum after just joining, I'm not. I asked a probing question to make him think about how it's viewed on here. All in all I love this site so far...minus a couple keyboard warriors lol

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And yes I would like to talk about the tree, I've been looking into grafting branches for my Trident. It seems to me, with how the taper of the tree goes, if you grafted or had branches bud in the right spots, it'd be a cool pad layering all the way up just on one side. Which you don't see a lot and I think would look pretty interesting.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just FYI: I don't disagree with anything negative that's been said about this tree. It cost me precisely $0 if you don't factor in 7 months of bench space and fertilizer/water. Everybody who's appalled that something negative was said about the tree can step to another post. I'm good with it.

BTW: a late frost seems to have taken out the mistletoe. I've neatend up the scars, filled with epoxy, and covered the edges with putty. There's not much in the way of an update to be had right now.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not bent out of shape at all lol it just surprised me that the first thing I search for someone is in the comments with a judgie comment. I don't see why people can't have tact. "Tact is when you tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip" - Winston Churchill. If the tree isn't your style, then offer advice on how to fix it. This is art, some art not everyone likes. You don't need to publicly berate the guy trying to fix it. And as for the guy who mentioned me talking bad about the forum after just joining, I'm not. I asked a probing question to make him think about how it's viewed on here. All in all I love this site so far...minus a couple keyboard warriors lol
I think what’s hard and what you’ll come to find out is that the guys who at times make, as you what you would think are “rude” remarks are just being as honest and unfiltered as possible. They’ve been on this forum for far longer than most of us combined. What your not seeing, and part of the reason they have so many messages and likes, and why at times they can come off as “rude” is the amount of times they give advice and ideas on trees that have no business being advised upon. And they do it anyways just to be helpful. And what I see happen, from time to time, are guys who ask for advice, get it, then COMPLETELY DISREGARD said advice. They are taking the time to give help and some people don’t even want to hear it, they just want a pat on the back and sweet “your doing great!” Type comment. IMHO they speak as they see fit and have earned that right. With they’re years and years of knowledge they can critique my posts any day, good or bad. I can’t directly speak for the OP of this thread, but I’d imagine he’s been around long enough to take any comments on here just fine with out issue. And lastly, I don’t think I’ve been on a single online forum of any sort where things cant get a bit dicey. Regardless of all of that, as BVF said, it always comes back to the trees and the work. You’ve just got to be a bit thick skinned at times and take a few punches. It’s all worth it if you ask me.

With the tree. I struggle with maples here, JM especially. But I’ve yet to own a trident. I’d gladly take on this project and would probably chop pretty heavy to form a new leader. But I also don’t have a great collection so it’d be great to add this tree regardless of flaws. ??‍♂️

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted it yesterday out of some pretty dense soil. It actually has REALLY nice flare under the soil, but I kept the nebari you see to tie it in. The base is completely flat as well. (Lava, akadama, pumice, and 8822.)
I see the flair! It it’s my understanding tridents fatten up quick at the base of cared for properly. But I also see all of the other issues your probably seeing. It seems there is some inverse taper pretty close to the bottom of the tree which may warrant a heavy chop. Here’s a simple image I did. But really it’s just a thought as I’ve never worked a trident. Black circle is the inverse taper. Redline chop, green is the new tree! Seems so easy right?!?!?????‍♂️??‍♂️B18792FF-4EFB-488F-80BE-76BDE78FAC3E.jpeg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm trying to split the difference between healing scars and refining the tree. Its still not much to look at.

Attachments

• RG-trident01-052420.jpg
    RG-trident01-052420.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 40
  • RG-trident01-052420-2.jpg
    RG-trident01-052420-2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom