Pretty raw Trident

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i'd probably take it for the taper alone. but the base under the soil would need to be good. and of course, i would carve the hell out of it:D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
i'd say the only thing you have going for it, is that it looks different from the imported tridents. it looks like it was field grown for a long time and just hacked back a lot without any great deal of care or vision. it has some taper though. a carving project maybe.....fairy tale image depending on tastes, could be possible
or the main tree in a trident maple forest, i think that could work if you can get your hands on a few thinner trunks.
This is what I see in the material as well... styled as an old, gnarly deciduous tree as opposed to the typical pine styled tridents.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I repotted it yesterday out of some pretty dense soil. It actually has REALLY nice flare under the soil, but I kept the nebari you see to tie it in. The base is completely flat as well. (Lava, akadama, pumice, and 8822.)

Attachments

• RG-Trident01-01.jpg
    RG-Trident01-01.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 186
  • RG-Trident01-02.jpg
    RG-Trident01-02.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 187

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
didnt turn out too badly. is the plan now to let it grow out in an attempt at healing the big wounds or will you embrace them?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And your an ass... now all we have determined is that we are good at name calling. If you wish to talk about the tree that would be what this forum is for. Like Trump telling the truth is often mistaken for being mean.
With the difference that Trump seems to be patologically unable to tell the truth! ???

Reaction score
And your an ass... now all we have determined is that we are good at name calling. If you wish to talk about the tree that would be what this forum is for. Like Trump telling the truth is often mistaken for being mean.
California crybabies can’t tell me what to do!!! I’m tired of old geezers whinging

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
California crybabies can’t tell me what to do!!! I’m tired of old geezers whinging
How old are you, like 20. That’s what you act like. Still nothing about the tree huh! When you get enough guts to post a tree, I’ll give you an honest critique.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Most people dont like the truth.
It usually is "mean"....because life isn't fair.
Most would rather be bullshitted through life, thats why you know who have been running every big city in this nation into the ground, and continue to be elected the masses of zombies.

As for the tree, I agree with Dave, some root grafts, a chop and some new branching could make something fun of it....but as is, its got issues.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow...so is this how it is on this forum? Someone shows a new tree that is in the beginning stages and someone who's been doing it longer rags on it and calls it junk? There's a difference between being rude and being helpful with suggestions. I don't need sugar coating but dang...that's the kind of person that's going to discourage new people to bonsai...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow...so is this how it is on this forum? Someone shows a new tree that is in the beginning stages and someone who's been doing it longer rags on it and calls it junk? There's a difference between being rude and being helpful with suggestions. I don't need sugar coating but dang...that's the kind of person that's going to discourage new people to bonsai...
Alway surprised that people feel the need to arrive on a forum and start attcking it straight away.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You are correct! Too many this "forum" Praise anything posted by certain people while others do as you unfortunately are victim of. Tree has potential but trunk too straight for me;). If seeking advice from personal local Bonsai club likely to deal with more decent people than here.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sometimes a swift kick in the ass is the best way to get one's mind right.
In the end, its just one man's opinion.....why get all bent outta shape about it.....?
Everyone doesn't have to be nice all the time, at least its not mandatory yet.

Top Bottom