Price hikes because of tariffs

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well... I was about to get up on my soap box and write about trade policy... but then I realized that would sink this thread for good :)

If we keep the topic narrowly focused on the impact of recent trade actions on bonsai, the thread can stay here. If we start debating the pros and cons of the current trade actions... I will need to move the thread to the Tea House. And if it becomes 100% political, I will have to lock it to maintain our collective sanities :)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha it got pretty far and stayed civil. Nice.
I'll chime back in if Bethlehem steel starts hiring again

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Everyones a pundit or lobyist it seems these days. Steel glory days are gone for sure but it would be nice to see some of these jobs come back for those families who have steel in their blood. I want everyone to have a job so not rooting to sacrifice other jobs either! Would just like a more level playing field for all.
That starts with free post-secondary education and free health care. It ia shameful that in the richest country in history people cant afford to go to college or that they fall into poverty only because they get sick

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well... I was about to get up on my soap box and write about trade policy... but then I realized that would sink this thread for good :)

If we keep the topic narrowly focused on the impact of recent trade actions on bonsai, the thread can stay here. If we start debating the pros and cons of the current trade actions... I will need to move the thread to the Tea House. And if it becomes 100% political, I will have to lock it to maintain our collective sanities :)
Sorry, BNut. I wrote the above post before reading this

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's all good. Next time I'm in Denver we'll meet up over beers and talk education :) I don't have the answers but that doesn't stop me from sharing my opinions :)
Absolutely. Let me know when you are around, and we'll go to a nice brewery to fix the world

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@bonsaibp, @Leo in N E Illinois, @Bonsai Nut Several people were curious and so was I. So I emailed them and got a prompt response. I asked the following question:
"I have heard various things about you all and I would like a definitive statement from you. Are all of your tools made in the United States? Thanks in advance.
Clyde Grace
Tree Of Life Bonsai
Henderson, NV"

Here is what they answered:
"Good evening, Clyde.

Thanks for reaching out.

The majority of our product line is made or sourced here in the USA. What we cannot manufacture or source here cost effectively, we source globally after thoroughly vetting the source. To state 'American-made', 70% of the product has to have US origins. Our product line is over this 70% requirement, however our goal is to have 100% of our products to be of US origin - hence our name!

We are working very hard to relieve all overseas sources but regardless of the source, we have our own internal quality controls and 5 year product warranty - we want our product line to be the best bonsai products available."

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
In essence they buy from a Chinese maker that gets steel (or maybe just the ore) from the US. Therefore it has US origins.

I don't know, to me it is deceptive when they don't even have one single tool that is "made" in the US. From the statement they gave me there "goal" does not even reflect American "made" only to have American "origins." That is lawyer speak and a loophole to the truth. If you can't even trust their name to be legit, what can you trust?

So they are not "technically" lying but they certainly are attempting to capture a certain market segment with creative information.

Last edited:

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you can't even trust their name to be legit, what can you trust?

I'm not sure that this is fair. They are an American company, selling to the American market.

I do wish that they would be a little more forthcoming about what is being made where but I don't think that they are being dishonest, so let's not tar them as such.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I'm not sure that this is fair. They are an American company, selling to the American market.

I do wish that they would be a little more forthcoming about what is being made where but I don't think that they are being dishonest, so let's not tar them as such.

It's fair. I sent them a follow up email offering to use my network of people I know to help them find reasonable fabrication to get even a single tool. I suggested starting with one tool, whatever is their best selling item and beginning a 100% American MADE product line. I said I would not only buy it at a premium price but I would be happy to sell in my business. They never replied.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That starts with free post-secondary education and free health care. I
Nothing is free! There is money around to go to college if you want to go. My daughter graduated HS this year. Her graduating class received over $5 million in grants and scholarships for various reasons for post secondary education. My daughter got a chunk of that for academic achievement. The rest of her tuition she will have to work a part time job for and maybe get a student loan. There is nothing shameful about having to work for your education. It makes it that much more of an accomplishment when you walk at graduation.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nothing is free! There is money around to go to college if you want to go. My daughter graduated HS this year. Her graduating class received over $5 million in grants and scholarships for various reasons for post secondary education. My daughter got a chunk of that for academic achievement. The rest of her tuition she will have to work a part time job for and maybe get a student loan. There is nothing shameful about having to work for your education. It makes it that much more of an accomplishment when you walk at graduation.
College and health care indeed are free in other industrialized countries. It can be done

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
College and health care indeed are free in other industrialized countries. It can be done
Could you please point to a country of the same caliber and population as the USA with free college and free healthcare. I would be very interested in those countries and how they are doing it.

Just so you don't have to waste your time the population of the USA is 327 million. I eagerly a wait your statistics.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could you please point to a country of the same caliber and population as the USA with free college and free healthcare. I would be very interested in those countries and how they are doing it.

Just so you don't have to waste your time the population of the USA is 327 million. I eagerly a wait your statistics.
Total population is irrelevant. It’s the cost as a fraction of GDP that matters.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Total population is irrelevant. It’s the cost as a fraction of GDP that matters.
I would love to see your formula? Can you provide that information without using any population.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not affected by this trade war. Unless I buy american stuff. But that's kind of the middle man; easy to cut out and just go to the source.
We have German steel around here at a reasonable price and my country exports steel to the US for a raised price now.
Import from both china and japan, are still unaffected here.

Good luck, people in the US!

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm not affected by this trade war. Unless I buy american stuff. But that's kind of the middle man; easy to cut out and just go to the source.
We have German steel around here at a reasonable price and my country exports steel to the US for a raised price now.
Import from both china and japan, are still unaffected here.

Good luck, people in the US!
For these small trinket items ebay is still King! I mean a pair of shears is a far cry from a 100,000 tons of iron or steel. I mean...lets be realistic...

Top Bottom