Price of Japanese Black Pine Yamadori?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi guys just curious about the price of old, contorted jbp yamadori. Medium to Large sizes. Are they even available in the United States? Very rough guesstimate is ok.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long is a piece of string? Its very hard to tell you. Yamadori as such wouldnt be imported they woild be nursery trees. Im pretty sure wild trees are protected

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Genuine Yamadori would be matter of how high is sky and likely nearly unobtanium:rolleyes:. Non Yamadori as common as weeds.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yamadori needs to be defined before you can understand the answer. First of all the term Yamadori means a collected from the mountains natural native tree. That would mean you would be obtaining a tree that fills that parameter/description. In Japan these trees are as scarce as hens teeth and today most are considered national treasures/and heritage trees and as such are illegal to sell and export from the country----the last I knew. You might be able to get one from Korea understanding that a strain of JBP lives in Korea, but I have never heard of it producing what you could call Yamadori.

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
How long is a piece of string? Its very hard to tell you. Yamadori as such wouldnt be imported they woild be nursery trees. Im pretty sure wild trees are protected
Actually some places the black pine is considered a pest in the US. They intentionally spread nematode's per this write up. Not a great plan in my opinion. Personally wouldn't risk collecting trees from this area next to my other trees. I have seen lots of dead trees over the years in this area. I would wager you could work with the park service to remove trees. Keep in mind you would be on park land and need to work with them. I have thought about talking to the park service myself but the risk of possibly spreading a pest has kept me away.
http://www.wboc.com/story/10885406/once-a-military-ally-invasive-trees-threaten-del-coast

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting @Mash . They don't last long in the ground in DE, 30 years...yet considered invasive.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yamadori needs to be defined before you can understand the answer. First of all the term Yamadori means a collected from the mountains natural native tree. That would mean you would be obtaining a tree that fills that parameter/description. In Japan these trees are as scarce as hens teeth and today most are considered national treasures/and heritage trees and as such are illegal to sell and export from the country----the last I knew. You might be able to get one from Korea understanding that a strain of JBP lives in Korea, but I have never heard of it producing what you could call Yamadori.
Hey Vance the local bonsai shop told me it is now illegal to export a wild collected tree and that you would be in big doodoo if you do. Though cultivated trees are realky common a true yamadori would cost a small fortune...Korea changed a lot of laws recently. Heard they want to do the same for hornbeams

Mash

Yamadori
Reaction score
Interesting @Mash . They don't last long in the ground in DE, 30 years...yet considered invasive.
Its a beach dune environment so you now have trees were they the local trees couldn't grow before. You then lose the grasses an native ground cover.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Its a beach dune environment so you now have trees were they the local trees couldn't grow before. You then lose the grasses an native ground cover.
Where do you live, you might want to fill out the member profile, it would help all of us to understand where you are and where you are coming from?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Actually some places the black pine is considered a pest in the US. They intentionally spread nematode's per this write up. Not a great plan in my opinion. Personally wouldn't risk collecting trees from this area next to my other trees. I have seen lots of dead trees over the years in this area. I would wager you could work with the park service to remove trees. Keep in mind you would be on park land and need to work with them. I have thought about talking to the park service myself but the risk of possibly spreading a pest has kept me away.
http://www.wboc.com/story/10885406/once-a-military-ally-invasive-trees-threaten-del-coast

Wow if you have the opportunity you should go for it. You can always quarantine the tree i suppose?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you everybody, I think i have a gist of what id have to spend. And if it truly becomes a daunting task finding a nice one. I might just purchase another yamadori pine and graft black pine leaves on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom