Princess persimmon - going for big bucks...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes they're pretty hot right now. I bought a nice 4 trunk rooted seedling off the .99 last week, it's a good start. But it will take a long time to make something close to this developed. Buying time, LOL...
And I think that any good shohin is going for pretty top dollar these days too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes they're pretty hot right now. I bought a nice 4 trunk rooted seedling off the .99 last week, it's a good start. But it will take a long time to make something close to this developed. Buying time, LOL...
And I think that any good shohin is going for pretty top dollar these days too.
Seen that one Judy...almost went after it. But don't know the species...will be glad to watch you take it further.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's the "species of the moment" People paying bazillions of dollars for them.

Funny because they may not know that their tree won't necessarily bear the fruit that makes it so attractive. You have to have a MALE princess persimmon to pollinate the female tree to have fruit on bonsai, if I'm not mistaken. So add another $50 to $567 to the price tag (the variation is from a drab seedling male tree to a more developed bonsai. Males don't bear fruit...);)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ahhh, that's what they call Kaki's here. Now I know what they are, wouldn't have to pay that much for one though. Tree dependent of course.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Funny because they may not know that their tree won't necessarily bear the fruit that makes it so attractive. You have to have a MALE princess persimmon to pollinate the female tree to have fruit on bonsai, if I'm not mistaken. So add another $50 to $567 to the price tag (the variation is from a drab seedling male tree to a more developed bonsai. Males don't bear fruit...);)
My pal has "one" that fruits. They are not hardy around here so I doubt it has a secret admirer. He gave me a sucker from its base....no flowers no fruits. It's only 4 years and doesn't seem to grow much.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My pal has "one" that fruits. They are not hardy around here so I doubt it has a secret admirer. He gave me a sucker from its base....no flowers no fruits. It's only 4 years and doesn't seem to grow much.
I had one a while back. Very nice developed tree that I got from Julian Adams. about a foot tall, inch in diameter, lots of branching. Thing was, Julian sold it to me because it was his pollinator for all his other female princess persimmon. He had gotten a few other male tree and put the stud out to pasture. It survived here in N. Va. for about five years, but eventually faded and died--I think because of a series of harsh winters at the time.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I read that these don't need male pollination, is that wrong? hmmm. Below only one of the articles where I see that they are self fruitful..

Q: We have an assortment of fruit trees that give us wonderful fruit all summer and fall, but we have only citrus in winter. I was thinking about planting a persimmon tree but only have room for one tree. I remember when I was growing up that we had both a male and a female tree in order to get fruit. Is there an alternative?

A: Persimmon trees provide the home garden with vivid color in the fall and tasty fruit in the winter. Varieties of the American persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, typically require two trees to produce. If you only have space for one tree there are several alternatives you can consider.

Some gardeners have had success with planting two trees together in the same hole and keeping them pruned so the two trees only take up the space of one tree. If you choose to do this, you can keep the male tree severely pruned so it produces just enough flowers to pollinate the female tree and allow the female tree to dominate the space. Another possible alternative is to search for a tree that has a pollinating male branch grafted onto the fruiting female tree, but these trees may be hard to find. I have seen them offered for sale in the past, but not recently. Finally, I would suggest that you consider planting a Japanese persimmon. Virtually all varieties of the Japanese persimmon, Diospiros kaki, are self-fruitful, and only one tree will be needed to produce fruit.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read that these don't need male pollination, is that wrong? hmmm. Below only one of the articles where I see that they are self fruitful..

Q: We have an assortment of fruit trees that give us wonderful fruit all summer and fall, but we have only citrus in winter. I was thinking about planting a persimmon tree but only have room for one tree. I remember when I was growing up that we had both a male and a female tree in order to get fruit. Is there an alternative?

A: Persimmon trees provide the home garden with vivid color in the fall and tasty fruit in the winter. Varieties of the American persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, typically require two trees to produce. If you only have space for one tree there are several alternatives you can consider.

Some gardeners have had success with planting two trees together in the same hole and keeping them pruned so the two trees only take up the space of one tree. If you choose to do this, you can keep the male tree severely pruned so it produces just enough flowers to pollinate the female tree and allow the female tree to dominate the space. Another possible alternative is to search for a tree that has a pollinating male branch grafted onto the fruiting female tree, but these trees may be hard to find. I have seen them offered for sale in the past, but not recently. Finally, I would suggest that you consider planting a Japanese persimmon. Virtually all varieties of the Japanese persimmon, Diospiros kaki, are self-fruitful, and only one tree will be needed to produce fruit.

Julian Adams at Adams Bonsai in Lynchburg, Va. has been growing and selling dwarf princess persimmon whips and more mature stock for decades. He told me the female needs a pollinator.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Part in green - One male tree.....With lots of females....Just like humans!!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow....what people pay for things really amazes me.

Princess persimmon...the new chojubai.

I've heard various things about fruit set. Julian told me (at the recent National show where he had a few for sale) that they can set fruit without
a male pollinator, at least occasionally...but the male definitely increases the odds. I've heard that from others as well but I don't have any experience
with them. Would like to find a decent one at a reasonable price but maybe I'll wait until they cool off a bit.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Speaking of fruit...I seen one ask the question if the seller had a photo of this tree with fruit on it. Apparently a non-bidder? Because that question was removed.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of fruit...I seen one ask the question if the seller had a photo of this tree with fruit on it. Apparently a non-bidder? Because that question was removed.
A couple of the photos on the auction have a single fruit on the soil, presumably from the tree. It's old and dark colored, doesn't appear to have the nice pointy shape like the one Adair posted. That one is gorgeous.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So @Adair M , is this your tree?
Wondering if it's true about self pollination, looking for people who have the species to speak about it...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Princess persimmon...the new chojubai.

I've heard various things about fruit set. Julian told me (at the recent National show where he had a few for sale) that they can set fruit without
a male pollinator, at least occasionally...but the male definitely increases the odds. I've heard that from others as well but I don't have any experience
with them. Would like to find a decent one at a reasonable price but maybe I'll wait until they cool off a bit.
lol, that's true! Hopefully they won't be as persnickety as chojubai! guess I'll have to look for seedling male..

but maybe I'll wait until they cool off a bit.

Yeah, good luck with that! :)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started some from seed obtained in Kyoto ( 2015) based on their progress it seems like just yesterday;) they germinated quite well but seemed to sputter and drop leaves then regrow them often over the first year or two. last year they showed more stable growth. IMG_1026.JPG

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wondering if it's true about self pollination, looking for people who have the species to speak about it...

My understanding is that they need a male to fruit... UNLESS it is a female graft on male rootstock, at which point it becomes self-pollinating.

I have a male and female, so all I can say is my female fruited this year. Would it have fruited without the male? I have no idea.

Top Bottom