Princess Persimmon: Is This Flower?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So I bought five princess persimmons from Evergreen Gardenworks last year. Planted all of them in a plastic long plant grower with 2 crabapple cuttings. This spring because the crabapples grew so vigorously that I worry about the persimmons got all shady out. So I did a repot and noticed one of the seedlings have something look like a flower bud. Can someone take a look and verify please?

Attachments

• 0ABE8DD1-C033-4E5C-8698-C2C6A74B9615.jpeg
    0ABE8DD1-C033-4E5C-8698-C2C6A74B9615.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 114

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don’t see any flower buds. They appear as 4 narrow leaf bracts at the end of a stem, with a teardrop in the middle.
94349EBD-A03C-4EA8-A6A6-FC57F7EDC060.jpeg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I don’t see any flower buds. They appear as 4 narrow leaf bracts at the end of a stem, with a teardrop in the middle.
I circled it in red. Looks a lot like the flower bud on the one I got from Julian last year.

Attachments

• D063980F-6A05-49A6-A14E-B3BDF3FA9A9B.jpeg
    D063980F-6A05-49A6-A14E-B3BDF3FA9A9B.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 105

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it is a flower bud... Just not sure male or female. Male will not bear fruit.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think it is a flower bud... Just not sure male or female. Male will not bear fruit.
Thanks. I will definitely keep an eye on it. This is the only flower out of 5 seedlings. I can’t remember how old Brent said these were when I bought them. But if it is a real flower, it should give people hope when buying them.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. I will definitely keep an eye on it. This is the only flower out of 5 seedlings. I can’t remember how old Brent said these were when I bought them. But if it is a real flower, it should give people hope when buying them.
I bought 6 unsexed seedlings fro Julian three years ago. 5 are male and one hasn't flower yet. I also bought 2 female with fruit a year later. Last year the females didn't flower because I reported them. This year one of them flower but still too early to tell if they will keep the fruit.
Good luck.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I bought five princess persimmons from Evergreen Gardenworks last year. Planted all of them in a plastic long plant grower with 2 crabapple cuttings. This spring because the crabapples grew so vigorously that I worry about the persimmons got all shady out. So I did a repot and noticed one of the seedlings have something look like a flower bud. Can someone take a look and verify please?

Give it a day or two. I believe it to be a flower bud, but it looks like a male. The male flowers are smaller and pointier than the females.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Give it a day or two. I believe it to be a flower bud, but it looks like a male. The male flowers are smaller and pointier than the females.
I actually prefer it as male since I already have a femal. Thank you.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ok ...quick question ...I bought a princess persimmon that had about 20+ flower buds about a month ago but now they all turned black and most have fallen, is something wrong or thats just the natural process ? Thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok ...quick question ...I bought a princess persimmon that had about 20+ flower buds about a month ago but now they all turned black and most have fallen, is something wrong or thats just the natural process ? Thanks
Normal in my garden.🙁🙁🙁

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Normal in my garden.🙁🙁🙁
I see you had the same problem BVF, maybe my reporting and putting it in a much smaller pot caused this. When I bought it the guy had it in a regular clay soil so I had to repot to get it in better soil.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will take some pics this year of my male and female flowers for people to use as a rough guide.
Would be interested in the time of year you expect the persimmon to flower, understanding that variation will be the norm for different climatic zones. I have a number of younger persimmon from seed. ( germinated spring 2016) They are very heavy in leaf growth this year, put them in a grow bed a year ago.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would be interested in the time of year you expect the persimmon to flower, understanding that variation will be the norm for different climatic zones. I have a number of younger persimmon from seed. ( germinated spring 2016) They are very heavy in leaf growth this year, put them in a grow bed a year ago.
They flower in early spring, a week or two after the leaves push.

Top Bottom