Princess Persimmon

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a tree I acquired a year and a half ago from Scott Lee from Blue River Bonsai. It came originally from California. I have enjoyed growing and training this species quite a bit. Although not much to speak of as far as autumn color goes, it is however, a striking tree when the leaves fall and the tracery of its bare branches are punctuated with the bright orange fruits that last well until late autumn.

Autumn 2015.

Summer 2016. Earlier in spring it was repotted into a beautiful Koyo pot. It flowered well but, except for one, all blooms eventually fell off and the tree produced only a single fruit. I have read one theory that persimmon bonsai should be protected from rain when in flower. Another one is to not fertilize these trees until fruit sets. Not sure how much truth there is in any of it. If someone has tips please do share.

The tree now in autumn 2016. It is being trained and refined as a semi-cascade bonsai.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool, the picture with fruit is wonderful. I still have to search and translate some english names... Diospyros rhombifolia?

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of these, and I have noticed that rain during flowering makes them fall off therefore no fruit. The fertilizer, I think as with any fruiting trees avoid nitrogen but P and K is fine. Something else that I have heard is to have a male tree nearby for pollination to get more fruit.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a couple of these, and I have noticed that rain during flowering makes them fall off therefore no fruit. The fertilizer, I think as with any fruiting trees avoid nitrogen but P and K is fine. Something else that I have heard is to have a male tree nearby for pollination to get more fruit.

Thanks! I have also read/heard same about having a male tree nearby. I always thought it was all or nothing. So when I saw it produced fruit this year (albeit a single one) I thought perhaps there was no need to have a pollinator tree and the issue was something else? I have discussed this with a few professionals but getting different answers from, not needing one to yes, a male tree is needed.

As a side note, I did for the most part protect the tree from rain but with no great results. Flowers still dropped gradually. Next year I will try and give it no nitrogen prior to fruit set and see what happens. Still figuring these beautiful trees out!

Do you (or anyone) know where I can find a male tree?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice little tree! my neighbor have a 12-15' tree and the leaves are pretty big. Do they reduce easily? It produces fruits every year and the squirrels gets half lol.

Was wanting to air layer a branch but leaf size turned me off.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice little tree! my neighbor have a 12-15' tree and the leaves are pretty big. Do they reduce easily? It produces fruits every year and the squirrels gets half lol.

Was wanting to air layer a branch but leaf size turned me off.

Are you sure that your neighbor's tree is a rhombifolia and not some other species? Other ones have much larger fruit and leaves.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
JULIAN ADAMS has male plants. He just wrote a comprehensive article for the next issue of International BONSAI, the 2016/No 4 issue. The article is on Princess Persimmon.

Great, thanks Bill! I look forward to the article. I will get in touch with Julian and even perhaps have him bring it to the Winter Silhouette show if he is going.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a really nice tree, Sergio. I've always liked their winter appearance...the fruit is so colorful and has such an interesting shape. I've never tried growing one, but every time I see one like this it really tempts me! Maybe some day...

Chris

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Let me also add for those that may be wondering. The table I used for display is not correct although I do like its color with tree very much. A smaller and a bit taller stand that's more appropriate for a cascade (semi-cascade) tree would be much better. Still it was fun just to see it in a more "formal" set up.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a really nice tree, Sergio. I've always liked their winter appearance...the fruit is so colorful and has such an interesting shape. I've never tried growing one, but every time I see one like this it really tempts me! Maybe some day...

Chris

Thanks Chris. I am trying to not over style it and go more for a "freer" look. I have wired it very lightly just to reset the direction of some of the branches. Everything else was just scissor trained.

Their fruit almost glows against the grey bark and do add some nice interest and variety to a bonsai garden specially in autumn.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love these! Grew a few from seed (got them from a Kathy Shaner.. bought a few online as well but only three of the ones from kathy actually grew..) this year but they didn't take off like I hoped... will see if they make it through winter. My buddy has a large female but it doesn't make fruit I believe.. the understanding being with no male present it is not getting pollinated. I have found that once pollinate fruiting plants tend to keep producing at least for a while even if new blooms are not pollinated... I have found this to be true in my vegetable garden and seen evidence of it being tru with fruit trees as well. Maybe that is why yours fruited this year even with no male... it is a gorgeous tree regardless of the fruit, but an absolutely amazing specimen with it! Even one or two sets it off...

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
love the tree! Always an inspiration Mach5! I am looking forward to getting some of my own of this species. I like the original pot better from the photos

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have found this to be true in my vegetable garden and seen evidence of it being tru with fruit trees as well. Maybe that is why yours fruited this year even with no male... it is a gorgeous tree regardless of the fruit, but an absolutely amazing specimen with it! Even one or two sets it off...

Ah interesting Eric! Thank you.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you (or anyone) know where I can find a male tree?

I got mine from Julian also. Brent carries them but in very limited quantities only. I have had female trees for several yrs and they have had fruit pretty much every yr but very few fruit. I got my male last yr so have to see if it makes a difference. Also depends on - if the male is mature enough to make flowers.

Top Bottom