Princess Persimmon

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No not at all, at least in my experience. Very easy to care for. I do not do anything "special" for their care. I use a combo of BioGold with fish emulsion much like I do for any other tree in the garden, but not too much otherwise it may hinder fruit production. I use straight akadama with about 10% kiryu. It gets about 5 hours of direct sunlight in the height of summer. I keep it well watered but letting it dry up a bit before watering it again.

They thicken up VERY slowly and wire can remain in the branches for long periods of time but must be removed before it bites in, otherwise scars will remain forever on the tree. Large cuts must be carefully considered as the heal poorly.

Not very winter hardy. It can take frosts but the lowest temperature I am comfortable exposing the tree to is 28F for short periods. Nothing much below that. So they need good protection in the northern areas of the country.

Thank you! Great details to be aware of and not as bad as I thought it may be….

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very cool, I've never seen one before.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Dear Carol, I am afraid you haven't lived until you try one of these beauties! 😁
You too? lol. Guess I'm going to have to look into them. Resistance is futile......

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Has it opened yet? Still waiting in mine , still alive and buds are set. Repotted in late Feb since then the buds are fattening up. Scratch under bark shows deep green, but no opening yet.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Has it opened yet? Still waiting in mine , still alive and buds are set. Repotted in late Feb since then the buds are fattening up. Scratch under bark shows deep green, but no opening yet.
Hope it opens up. The first prune I did was in late autumn. Way to late in the season. Spring came, buds swelled but did not open. It took a year before those buds opened up.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hope it opens up. The first prune I did was in late autumn. Way to late in the season. Spring came, buds swelled but did not open. It took a year before those buds opened up.
Interesting, I only took off roots to reset since it was very pot bound in the nursery container, only removed encircling roots and placed in a slightly smaller training pot.

Hanandokita

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting, I only took off roots to reset since it was very pot bound in the nursery container, only removed encircling roots and placed in a slightly smaller training pot.
I did the same. it was so root bound it broke the pot, but I think that these things like being root bound? A lot of the ones I see here, the nebari is usually circled.

A side note. I find it interesting that in English we call it "princess", but in Japanese it's called old man's persimmon.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I got a princess persimmon from Julien last fall. Repotted it at the very end of March - buds were swelling and one or two leaves may have already popped out, I can't recall. Plant is doing fine, all leaves are out and it is currently blooming.

I don't have a long enough history (it's my first one) with these to know how unusual the behavior of yours is. Good luck with it.

Top Bottom