Principles of Bonsai Design

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The book Principles of Bonsai Design by David De Groot is back at Stone Lantern in hardback cover. It was hard to find recently but is now available. I have this book and as far as I'm concerned it beats any other book on bonsai out there unless you're just looking for pictures of trees. This should be a prerequisite for any beginner starting out in bonsai, maybe we wouldn't see an over abundance of sticks in a pot and rather a more disciplined approach and much better pleasing to the eye trees.

View attachment 252945

Word must have got out, temporarily out of stock as of now

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey I might be out of line, but I was wondering...
Has anyone read the book?
Did you find it useful?
I don’t color inside the lines, but it might help having a good idea where they are?
I was thinking maybe bonsai is like jazz, if you know and understand the rules, you can break them and make art.
From that point of view, does anyone who has read it think this is worth the shelf space?
It is a good book from my point of view. One that i prefer to have in my library for reference. Not a beginners book, nor is it written in a style that is a paint by number approach. More in depth and worth re-reading! Along the lines of Bonsai Aesthetics written by Francois Jeker ( also worth obtaining and keeping)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Principles of Bonsai Designby David De Groot is one of the finest instructional bonsai references I’ve studied. He thoroughly discusses design, aesthetics as well as display concepts and other topics, which cannot be found in other texts.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and learned from David’s extensive study of bonsai for several decades and highly recommend Principles of Bonsai Design.

By the way, his first paperback book is nothing like the new hardcover edition. They are two completely different editions. Having one of my bonsai on the cover has not influenced my recommendation….

Bill

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a great thing. Nothing like instruction manuals for improving bonsai in America. Soon we should have no need for people to study in Japan, there should be an abundance of teachers here ready to go.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, I've never seen this book in person, but I just recently got David DeGroot's Basic Bonsai Design, the little coil bound book by the ABS. Is it still worth getting the 'Principles' book or is it largely a rehash of the info?

I have been eyeing up the 'Principles' book for a while now but now I got the little one was just wondering if it made sense to have both.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I've never seen this book in person, but I just recently got David DeGroot's Basic Bonsai Design, the little coil bound book by the ABS. Is it still worth getting the 'Principles' book or is it largely a rehash of the info?

I have been eyeing up the 'Principles' book for a while now but now I got the little one was just wondering if it made sense to have both.

See post #26:rolleyes:.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
See post #26:rolleyes:.
I didn't know that's what Bill was referring to. His sentence makes it seem like the current 'Principles' is a 2nd Edition, but it's a wholly different title. So you'll have to excuse me.:rolleyes:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Excellent book, no matter what people say. He goes over pot selection, general “art” design, tree specific design, all kinds of stuff. Took 2-3 reads before I grasped it though.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got my copy from stonelantern.com.
With shipping combined I paid a total of $50.95 to have it land on my doorstep. Well packaged. The book is worth every penny.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Books? We ain't got no books! We don't need no books! I don't have to show you any stinking books!

I just follow Smoke and do what he says....

Last edited:
Top Bottom