Privet Clumps

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello everyone. I have a customer that decided to replace their front of house landscaping scheme, and so i dug these privets up in case they might be worth it. I dont see alot here, but wanted to post some pics so i could get some input on anything to do with them. Here are pics of two of them. Ill get some more on here. I would think you would pick a trunk,and take away all others? any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2725.jpg
    DSCN2725.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN2724.jpg
    DSCN2724.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN2727.jpg
    DSCN2727.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 68

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
After cleaning all the small roots off that were growing on the trunk. I can definately see some trunklines in there. These could really be some nice material. Should i go ahead and start taking off the branches, or let the tree recover for a year, and then start reducing the unwanted branches? Then, would i take the branch all the way to the trunk, or even into it with a knob cutter? or, would i leave a stub for another season, then take down to the branch? Also, since I cut the branches down so far, how much of the root mass can be reduced? There are alot of roots growing out of the future trunk. Is it ok to take these off if there are lots of roots under them? Thanks again.

Last edited:

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since you've already removed the foliage, you may as well cut them down to the desire trunk line. Privets can handle some serious abuse. Your main concern will be getting the wounds to heal without heavy rotting. My privet uses more water than any of my other trees, so water it well but try to avoid wetting the trunk/foliage. Root treatment is up to you. If you've already potted them, just wait till next spring to attack the roots.
I would leave a stub of heartwood and then carve it back as the tree heals to prevent a lump.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cutting down to the trunk (s) would be a good thing to do now if they're recently collected.

Privets are tough, as was said. They can take it.

Also, what kind of soil do you have this in?

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I am using a soil mix for cactus trees. Its very fast draining. I mixed in some sand, and small pebbles into the mix for extra drainage. I had to add a little more plain cactus mix to the top to cover the roots. Here are some pics after i cleaned them up. THere are some with trunks over 4" across.

Attachments

• DSCN2729.jpg
    DSCN2729.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2728.jpg
    DSCN2728.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2730.jpg
    DSCN2730.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2731.jpg
    DSCN2731.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2732.jpg
    DSCN2732.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 31

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CActus mix is a bonsai killer...It might seem appropriate for bonsai, but it's really not. It's too fine grained and still holds water. Pebbles aren't a good idea either, unless they're pebbles from crushed rock--angular in shape, not smooth.

In any case, since this is privet, all bets are off. This stuff grows in just about anything...

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thats good info rockm. Thanks alot. Id rather of used my bonsai soil, but would be way too expensive to plant them in. What do you recommend as a good substitute until they recover? and can put in smaller pots, and use better soil. Would a potting soil be ok? THanks again.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai soil is what I use--find a cheaper source if you're buying it by the baggie online or at a "bonsai nursery" at the mall. You can make ten gallons of bonsai soil for what those outfits charge to ship it to you. As for ingredients, the list is not set in stone. Use what's local. For a basic mix You need: a water retaining, yet porous angular ingredient (Turface, haydite, etc.) an organic component (composted pine bark soil conditioner, baby orchid bark) and a sharp component (sharp sand NOT play sand or buliding sand I use swimming pool filter sand which is crushed quartz) pumice or lava rock.

You can't use much else. Potting soil is even worse than cactus mix. I've made 30 or 40 gallons of basic mix for under $30 or so...Ask local growers what they use (local clubs will probably be glad to help show you the specifics they're using).

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I buy it by the 5 gallon bucket, and its 24.00 each. I thought these would probably use almost a whole bucket, but that is much better. Thanks for the hookup. Ive seen the soil i use retail for 45 or so, but i get it at a good price. anyway, thanks again rockm.

Top Bottom