Privet Help Please

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello!

New to the forum but not to bonsai. Recently bought the Chinese privet below and seem to be having problems with the correct water levels? Maybe?

Have had the tree about a week and notice some leaf wilt, tips are graying, some small drop. I know they tend to like higher humidity so boosted my drip tray level and watered a bit more but am worried it may be an over watering issue. Soil seems damper then necessary but I made the effort to water more. The soil may also be the culprit as it does appear to hold water more than what I typically use but bought it from someone local (who would know the climate) so thought it would be correct.

Do I risk a repot to add some sand/akadama to increase the drainage? Ride it out and see? Maybe underwater then over water?

Would love some opinions, thanks!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are you showing in the last picture? It looks like mud. If much of the soil looks like that then the soil is not draining properly. Before you water it the next time feel down a half inch or so to determine if it is still wet. If so, then you don't need to water again. Overwatering can be a problem, but not within a week.

Privet are extremely hardy in general. What conditions was it growing in before you got it and what kind of environment do you have it in now?

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Lars, the last picture is indeed the soil with the gravel top dressing pulled back to give a better context of the type of medium. It was not deviously growing in a mostly covered enclosure (a large truck that the grower sold from). Given all of the foliage is facing one direction it was likely there for some time. Will cut back on the water. Wait to repot?

It is currently inside under a light with good ventalation so I could keep a closer eye on it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(a large truck that the grower sold from)

I'm a little disappointed that we supported the "bonsai man in the bonsai van" so well, that he was able to upgrade to a large truck.

At least he will be easier to spot with the RPG. No, computer nerds....that is not a game!

Welcome to Crazy!

Can we talk about the contradiction that is.....
"Not new to bonsai"
And....
Buying S shaped privets as "tropicals" off of a truck....

?

Swear to God....

You take a video of you throwing that pot through the windshield of said truck, and I will totally buy you a new pot!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View attachment 126713 View attachment 126714 View attachment 126715 Hello!

New to the forum but not to bonsai. Recently bought the Chinese privet below and seem to be having problems with the correct water levels? Maybe?

Have had the tree about a week and notice some leaf wilt, tips are graying, some small drop. I know they tend to like higher humidity so boosted my drip tray level and watered a bit more but am worried it may be an over watering issue. Soil seems damper then necessary but I made the effort to water more. The soil may also be the culprit as it does appear to hold water more than what I typically use but bought it from someone local (who would know the climate) so thought it would be correct.

Do I risk a repot to add some sand/akadama to increase the drainage? Ride it out and see? Maybe underwater then over water?

Would love some opinions, thanks!
Welcome to the forum, but let's get something straight...if you're buying a tree from a guy selling them from his van, keeping an outdoor tree inside on a humidity tray, don't know what's wrong, and considering repotting it in December, you're new to bonsai. The good news is, we have all done it.

In Phoenix, this tree can/should be outside all the time, and it would be much healthier. It will die inside in a few weeks. They are invasive weeds here, and with enough water and good outdoor siting, it should grow like a weed for you. Wait until spring to repot, then yes, get it into better soil, but make sure you're able to water it as often as an inorganic soil will require.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Love all the positive encouragement :p:(

To be fair, my "not new to bonsai" comment was more meant as this is not my first tree. I do recognize that I am still very much a beginner. I have been working my way up slowly to harder material and definitely struggled with the summer climate in phoenix. Joining a forum is part of that so you should see me around.

I do appreciate the help and suggestions though! Sorry my "tropicals" aren't super interesting. Open to suggestions for new tree material to try.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed that we supported the "bonsai man in the bonsai van" so well, that he was able to upgrade to a large truck.

At least he will be easier to spot with the RPG. No, computer nerds....that is not a game!

Welcome to Crazy!

Can we talk about the contradiction that is.....
"Not new to bonsai"
And....
Buying S shaped privets as "tropicals" off of a truck....

?

Swear to God....

You take a video of you throwing that pot through the windshield of said truck, and I will totally buy you a new pot!

Sorce

Best place to buy new material?? Been a bit frustrated with eBay.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best place to buy new material?? Been a bit frustrated with eBay.

I'm Not a buyer....

My thing. ..

If I can smell it growing from my front door....
It's good to use!

I'm a digger.

With a cold green house and maybe a couple k, I would be confident in my ability to keep zone unfriendly material.

Club auctions would be a good local source....but find all the info you can about its previous growing conditions.

Sorce

Top Bottom