Privet Styling

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I think at this point I’m just going to let it back bud and grow a bit and tell me which direction to go. How many times can/should these be pruned in a season? Last year it basically grew all spring summer and fall and flushed out every time I cut it back, maybe three or four times. Is that too much?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sort of end up where I started, albeit with a better branch structure

For me, this is the very essence of what we are doing.

The easiest way to "see the tree", is to see it as it is, for what it offers.

The problem is most folks try to use that garbage branch structure for the final tree.

I reckon 7 times out of ten, being "back where you started" makes a decent tree!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think at this point I’m just going to let it back bud and grow a bit and tell me which direction to go. How many times can/should these be pruned in a season? Last year it basically grew all spring summer and fall and flushed out every time I cut it back, maybe three or four times. Is that too much?

Anything that is used next to sidewalks as a hedge that must be cut 3 or 4 times a year, should be able to take it fine, health wise.

I believe once people get comfortable with this being ok for health, they completely ignore the value of NOT cutting back.

It doesn't matter how many times of can be cut back, Except for that number should stay larger than what you need to do to get good taper in the branches.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Privet can be trimmed many times through the grow season but that may not be the best course of action at this stage of development.
Most of those branches need thickening. That happens faster when they are allowed to grow longer with lots of leaves. Takes many years if you keep cutting off new leaves.
Don't worry about branches getting too long on privet at this stage of life. They respond so well to cutting back. Allowing the branches to grow long then cut back hard will usually result in a mass of new shoots which will build ramification.

I generally let young branches grow for an entire season (wire for direction if required but watch that wires don't mark the bark) then cut right back to 1 or 2 nodes. Allow the new shoots to grow for half a season (wire for direction if required) then cut them all back to 1 or 2 nodes and allow the new shoots to grow the rest of the year. In the following year trim whenever new shoots grow to 4-6 nodes.
If everything has gone according to plan the branches will now be thicker and have many side shoots and look like real branches instead of sticks with a few leaves.
I have found that you need to prune way harder in initial stages at plants only ever grow outward so during development your trees will occasionally look overgrown and sometimes like bare sticks. Knowing when to allow each takes some time to learn.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
AAAB918D-4503-4453-9D9F-AB3FA2DC7934.jpeg
D1320442-B723-4792-A8F0-F38C3379A448.jpeg
Before and after. I swung that back branch back toward the right side. I can’t decide if I like it on the left or right. I might have liked it better on the left. What do you all think?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
New position is definitely better.
Branch on the left is balanced but boring. The branch is way too long so eyes don't know which way to go.
New right only is interesting and dynamic. Add some more shari below the jin and it will be even better.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't know privet that well..

But DO know that the bark is fragile, and hardens quickly...

If you wire now, be SUUUUUPER careful.

I, personally, would wait until spring.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

I think you made some good decision with your work above:

The first branch, that is also your defining branche in this case is well place on the left and brings balance to the composition.

Capture1.JPG
The only thing you might want to consider is cutting down the branche on the right and choose a new leader to start working on better taper on that part of the tree. I think it will get too much energy at the expense of more growth on the defining branche.

The thing I will keep focus on is to maintain your first styling idea and stick with it.
For example if its a windswept tree the pads will be shaped ¨equally¨, going in the same direction.
Like this bad drawing below, the pads are going in the same direction as the rest of the tree and the defining branche occupy very important space keeping the tree in balance.
Capture3.JPG
Capture5.JPG

Keep-up the good work!
Ugo

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
maintain your first styling idea and stick with it.
Hi Ugo, thanks for the thought and for putting time into the verts. I actually wound up swinging that branch back to the right and chose the more off-balanced look. Honesty I’ve debated that decision a bunch so I appreciate your perspective.

You’re right about the top right yellow arrow. I think I have to shorten that section. It’s too long straight and boring.

Reactions: Ugo
Top Bottom