Probably goofed on a willow leaf ficus.

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
I have a willow leaf ficus that has 3 thin stringy branches growing where there should be one larger branch. Without thinking it through, I recently "braided" them together into an approximation of a single branch and wired them that way. I know ficus tend to merge branches and roots over time, swallowing other trees or their own branches, but somehow I dont think my hastily conceived plan will end up working out. I suspect that even if they did fuse, they would end up doing battle with the winner strangling the others. If they could merge peacefully, would i need more squeeze than wire can provide, perhaps that stretchy green plastic garden tape? Can this be done, or should I lop off the skinnier branches and let the remaining branch grow unchecked until it catches up?20210121_234313.jpg

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd cut off one and keep the other to grow out strong for proportion. IMO it is better to fix it now than take a risk.. it could end unfavorably and then you'll be set back further.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have hardly ever seen fusions look good. If you let that branch run, within a season it should double in size getting you near to where you want to be, size-wise

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
Makes sense. I'll lop the two weakest off, control the rest of the tree, and let the strongest branch run.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Remember to thicken a branch is to allow it to grow unchecked. Our bonsai are not always a nice and tidy image. One must allow the grow tips to keep growing to thicken what we aren't satisfied with. I would not keep the braided branch personally.

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
I separated the three branches, removed one entirely, one partially, and left the largest unchecked. If you look closely at the photo, you can see that all three originated at one point at the end of a larger branch stump that was broken off. The partially removed branch will act as a secondary branch. The unchecked larger branch has three tertiary branches starting on it, which should help the whole thing thicken quickly. The only disappointment is that the tree looks a bit bare in that area for now.

20210122_152519.jpg

Top Bottom