Probio Carbon - Mirai Asymmetry Podcast with Karen O’Hanlon

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great!

I ordered Karen’s greenstone feed Biochar in the hopes the particle size was larger than the ones I have in hand. Also some Danu.

Can you please take some of your new Biochar out and post a photo of it?

btw: Karen mentioned to me she was very near getting a US distributor a couple weeks ago.

cheers
DSD sends

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very exciting @Colorado . Am curious to see your experience using Danu . If we don't try new products and give chance to using new methods, we will always be stalled in progress just like bonsai in Japan is recently

Will certainly post my experience with it!

Make sure you got what you ordered

Yes it is all correct.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great!

I ordered Karen’s greenstone feed Biochar in the hopes the particle size was larger than the ones I have in hand. Also some Danu.

Can you please take some of your new Biochar out and post a photo of it?

btw: Karen mentioned to me she was very near getting a US distributor a couple weeks ago.

cheers
DSD sends

Yeah, it is very small particle size. Would be nice if it were larger. However, with it only being a very small relative amount (5% recommended), I personally think the benefits could potentially outweigh any negative effects from the small particle size. We’ll see!

Here’s a photo with a quarter for size reference.
98F60285-0CF4-422F-92F7-C9F3E38FE5B4.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. I’ve been experimenting for two full years now with various products and learning a lot.

Seems better than the products I’m using and more granular, which is what I was hoping for. Mine should arrive in mid Feb in time for key repots.

I did watch and write up Karens podcast with Ryan. It was very enlightening… kicked me into a rabbit hole studying the various groups of ectomycorrhizae and endomycorrhizae (now outdated term). After I get ahold of this content the goal is to move on to the bacterial side, which I believe Karen is more on top of.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
@Colorado am sure you know this but you can take a look at Peter Warren and how he applies Danu and has 2 hour long videos in his YouTube on the same . Atleast I found it informative in various ways you can apply it .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a good success with Danh, but its too early to say its a massive success.

I apply Danu to batch of deciduous and conifer
Ive seen a massive improvement on deciduous, lots of back budding, very healthy.

On connifer im not seeing those result maybe i just need to wait.

This year is the first time i didnt use pesticide and fungicide to my garden and men theres lots of bugs and such, but the trees are healthy so i dont mind those bugs.

Will update you guys after two season of using this.

Reaction score
I’m always a bit sceptical about these type of products. I know for sure that fungi and bacteria play an important (and underestimated) role in all living organisms. Yet, as with all living organisms, they will need certain conditions to live. Are these conditions there in our bonsai pots? And if they are, our bonsai do not stand in a sterile environment. They are out there in rain, sun and wind. I’m sure they are naturally inoculated with fungi and bacteria. On top of this, I know that the trees, themselves, pick and ‘farm’ the fungi and bacteria they need. That’s the very nature of a symbiotic relationship.
My two cents.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I went to an agriculture summit(world agg summit) and majority of the talk there is about microbes, regenerative farming and etc.

They really want to move away from chemistry based fungicide. And want to go natural.

You can see in EU that lots of chemistry based stuff are disappearing in the shelves of the store.
And US will follow soon.

I hope somebody make a deep study in bonsai culture.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I tried to do a deep dive and comparative setups but my order never arrived. Spent a couple days setting it all up and selecting cuttings and seedlings.

So all the windows for repotting and applications have been missed for all the plants I had set up.
For a product with a shelf life of less than a year (understandable though!) it means that there is basically no second chances with a single buy.

Accidents happen but I'll not be producing any comparative studies with the stuff and I'm grumpy about it.

isid

Seedling
Reaction score
I tried probio carbon products for the first time this year. I gave manù in March then alternated lasc and Mara every week in May and June. I'm not satisfied.
I have had many inexplicable losses on young bonsai. I cannot incriminate the product because I have no proof, but what I can say is that it did not help to strengthen my plants.
My itoigawa cuttings died burnt at the tips. I am not competent to know whether it is a fungus (Phomopsis?) or a heat stroke, but I had every right to hope that with the help of these product they would recover easily.
in addition, all my potted junipers bonsai have reversed to juvenile foliage. this is generally interpreted as a sign of stress.
In the end a friend of mine who also tested the products and got same bad results, tried to talk to Harrington on Facebook and got banned immediately. These people are not ready for any discussion.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried probio carbon products for the first time this year. I gave manù in March then alternated lasc and Mara every week in May and June. I'm not satisfied.
I have had many inexplicable losses on young bonsai. I cannot incriminate the product because I have no proof, but what I can say is that it did not help to strengthen my plants.
My itoigawa cuttings died burnt at the tips. I am not competent to know whether it is a fungus (Phomopsis?) or a heat stroke, but I had every right to hope that with the help of these product they would recover easily.
in addition, all my potted junipers bonsai have reversed to juvenile foliage. this is generally interpreted as a sign of stress.
In the end a friend of mine who also tested the products and got same bad results, tried to talk to Harrington on Facebook and got banned immediately. These people are not ready for any discussion.

With all due respect, it sounds like you may not be particularly experienced in the horticulture of bonsai. There are many, many causes for stress in plants. Without a baseline of excellent horticulture, I don’t think it’s really fair to blame the product. There is no product that is a replacement for good horticulture.

isid

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not blaming the product only to mention it did not help in any way. I have been growing bonsai since the 80- I was in Omya in 1989 for the first world bonsai convention and had a long talk with Saburo Kato. I still wont claim I am a champion in bonsai growing, I did loose trees in the past, but most often I know or understand why. I can also mention a Bougainvillea who for the first time in his 20 years life did not bloom !.
Anyway, deleting post and banning people on Facebook because they cannot stand a critic should be mentioned here.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fair enough.

I will say that I have not noticed any groundbreaking changes either since I started using the products this year for the first time. However, all trees have been very healthy. It’s hard to say if its because of the products or the unseasonably mild and wet spring/summer we’re having. In any event, I haven’t noticed any adverse effects whatsoever on my collection of 50+ trees.

I will also add that I have a trident maple which I just acquired from another practitioner last fall. When it leafed out this spring it was obvious that it is suffering some kind of fungal infection. I have treated it 3 times now with Maru, 2 weeks apart per the label recommendation. It is doing MUCH better now. I suspect that by the end of the growing season it will have kicked the infection, but we’ll see. I’m going to do a few more applications of the Maru. I do think it’s helping.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bit of an odd season to try out new magic formulas. Conditions havnt been optimal for many growers across the world, lots of reports of trees not waking up, or just dying for whatever reasons unbeknown to many. In any case, if peeps are carrying out experiments and critiquing products, its only fair too that one produces dates, photo evidence, befores n afters etc etc documented PROOF of your findings. Not that im really bothered. But just sayin

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am not blaming the product only to mention it did not help in any way. I have been growing bonsai since the 80- I was in Omya in 1989 for the first world bonsai convention and had a long talk with Saburo Kato. I still wont claim I am a champion in bonsai growing, I did loose trees in the past, but most often I know or understand why. I can also mention a Bougainvillea who for the first time in his 20 years life did not bloom !.
Anyway, deleting post and banning people on Facebook because they cannot stand a critic should be mentioned here.

Cool Saburo Kati! One of my favorites. It’s because of his Ezo work that I have a nice starter 9 tree Ezo forest and multiple healthy cuttings.

As far as Probio carbon’s products go, I have have I am entirely opposite experience.

This we spring soaked all major bonsai, except the young azaleas, into a big vat of Probo carbon Danu. Also have been using probio carbon Biochar in the media of all repotted trees.

All trees are flourishing including some that were sickly. This includes multiple Kishu juniper, young JBP, JEB, JRP, and Paul’s scarlet Hawthorn second and third year cuttings and seedlings to name just a few of the smaller trees.

Honestly I can’t directly attribute the collections robust good health to Probio Carbon’s products, it could be our approach to horticulture 😉, but it’s very clear these trees have not been harmed in any means by use of their products and quite possible they have benefited.

JSYK we don’t silence opposite opinions here, we do have spirited conversations especially of media, fertilizer, and many other topics, but always strive for intelligent factual information.

So post away….and be open to opposing views and learning from others. It’s clear the forum may have a lot to learn from your experience.

That said I, for one, abhor trollishness and readily hit the ignore button to block all a posters conversations after the second snarky post.

Btw: Please enter your approximate location and USDA Plant Hardiness zone. Do this by clicking on your icon atop the page. Then click account details scroll down and enter this information. This helps others understand your key information when seeking or providing help.

So sorry for the longish post!

Cheers
DSD sends

isid

Seedling
Reaction score
It is true that weather is unusual this year. Usually here in Corsica (France), the summer settles slowly, each day being a little warmer. This year we had an alternance of very hot and dry days with cold and rainy.
I am expecting many more testimonials from satisfied customers of probio, this could help me to understand what went wrong.
I decided to post my bad experience here after reading a post of "Wires_Guy_wires" saying: "but over the years I have developed some scepticism towards most claims people like Harry Harrington made about this specific product. "
This reminds me of this product called "superthrive". there are as much people claiming it is awesome than people who finds no benefit to it.
Magic potion doesn't seem to work for me.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting discussion.

Followed the podcast and her reasoning made more sense than most or all of the people selling new products H of which I am usually sceptical. I also purchased but don’t expect to be able to provide conclusive proof of it working.

Top Bottom