Problem child JBP

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I picked up this JBP back in the spring and chopped off a good 3 feet from above the 2nd whorl. It has responded well and is growing really strong since. It was in the pot you see for the past 5 years (I think it was a 2009 acquisition from Evergreen Gardenworks that happened to end up possibly as a wholesale type purchase at my local nursery). I think it was a good buy for me to learn on and I have been experimenting on it to a small degree--candle pruned recently, needle removal per Ryan Neil instructions, but it came with a whole host of issues being as neglected as it was...typical whorls, crossing roots, somewhat long and thin needles from growing in a shaded spot at the nursery and a stove pipe like trunk (hence the chop at the 2nd whorl).

I didn't cut down to the 1st whorl because I didn't know if I was already taking off too much and, mostly, to leave my options open in case I decided to graft one of the 2nd whorl branches lower down on the main trunk. The base is what I liked (and the fact it looked like a Brent sold tree) and I am thinking that 1st whorl is a good spot to start a new leader and develop a chubby, shohin-esque sized tree. I know it looks kinda thin now cause I needle pulled and candle prune the 2nd whorl. I didn't take any of that energy away from the lower section though. After this long winded post, what do you guys think as far as future moves go? I would love to get all of your perspectives to go along with what I have been contemplating. Thanks in advance b-nutters.

--Joe

P.S. I am the kind of guy that sees what appears to be a neglected tree and try to breath some life into it based off of 1 or 2 good qualities, i.e. a fat base.

Attachments

• P7051707.jpg
    P7051707.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 104
  • P7051702.jpg
    P7051702.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P7051703.jpg
    P7051703.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 66
  • P7051701.jpg
    P7051701.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 71

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leave it alone for now. It needs to grow out again.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would be surprised if this came from Evergreen Gardenworks.

I'd also suggest waiting until next spring and then identifying a sacrifice branch and maybe a first primary branch from among those in the lowest whorl. It reminds me of one I have in the ground, and a good exchange with Adair on this thread:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15358-3-year-old-JBP-pines&p=204960#post204960

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
that top will have to go eventually. You may want to trim that back as not to shade out those lower branches.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not from Brent, Brent would never allow all that growth in segments. I would be willing to bet this is an Andy Swanson pine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You still have some buds in close on that first whirl so all is not lost. Definitely trim the branches that are in on top of your new lead bud to keep from shading it. Then let it go until this winter or early spring and flick off any buds on the upper sacrifice growth to stimulate strength in the first whirl.
Let it grow other than the early by flicking in order to maximize the auxin redirection while sapping a minimum amound of energy.

I am not a jbp expert , but I am trying Similar strategies with two I am working on. Sacrifice growth while maximizing the energy down low.

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would be surprised if this came from Evergreen Gardenworks.

I'd also suggest waiting until next spring and then identifying a sacrifice branch and maybe a first primary branch from among those in the lowest whorl. It reminds me of one I have in the ground, and a good exchange with Adair on this thread:

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?15358-3-year-old-JBP-pines&p=204960#post204960

Good info Brian. Thanks for that and I hope you update your progress on the jbp in that thread. I would be interested in seeing it's development.

that top will have to go eventually. You may want to trim that back as not to shade out those lower branches.

I pruned off one or two and reducing the 2nd whorl tips to 10 pairs of needles helped also.

You still have some buds in close on that first whirl so all is not lost. Definitely trim the branches that are in on top of your new lead bud to keep from shading it. Then let it go until this winter or early spring and flick off any buds on the upper sacrifice growth to stimulate strength in the first whirl.
Let it grow other than the early by flicking in order to maximize the auxin redirection while sapping a minimum amound of energy.

I am not a jbp expert , but I am trying Similar strategies with two I am working on. Sacrifice growth while maximizing the energy down low.

Good advice and I will take to it. The saving grace for me was the small and vibrant branches down low on the tree. Should provide several options and make my tree pretty fun to work on over years.

Thanks for the replies!

Top Bottom