problem with pine seedlings...NEED HELP PLEASE

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all

from my previous posts i said that i had a bunch of Korean Pine seeds and they had all started to germinate...so it has been 1.5 month now...they are all growing needles..etc

the question i have is...the stem..between the initial needles and the roots...it was all green in color, now they are all turning brown...is this normal? i'm a noob in this...have they dried out? i mist the needles every other day and water the seedlings with little water every morning before heading to work..

thank you for all your time..

J

Reaction score
...it was all green in color, now they are all turning brown...is this normal? i'm a noob in this...have they dried out? ..
J

Jun,

You need to send pics. The soil and moisture are critical. If their feet are too wet they'll turn brown and die from root rot. If the top is too wet they could die from "damping off" a fungus. I've had great luck using grow cubes from the hydroponic store, the pH is balanced and they hold just the right amount of moisture.

Hopefully you can get more seeds and try again.

JC

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi all

from my previous posts i said that i had a bunch of Korean Pine seeds and they had all started to germinate...so it has been 1.5 month now...they are all growing needles..etc

the question i have is...the stem..between the initial needles and the roots...it was all green in color, now they are all turning brown...is this normal? i'm a noob in this...have they dried out? i mist the needles every other day and water the seedlings with little water every morning before heading to work..

thank you for all your time..

J

Yes it is normal unless you are suffering from stem rot or damping off. If the latter is the case the trees themselves would not be looking too good. The needles would be wilting or shriveling up and the trunks would be falling over.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it is normal unless you are suffering from stem rot or damping off. If the latter is the case the trees themselves would not be looking too good. The needles would be wilting or shriveling up and the trunks would be falling over.

Well the needles are harder then before...and i see new needles growing out...so i guess it is normal then....scared me...

Thanks

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well the needles are harder then before...and i see new needles growing out...so i guess it is normal then....scared me...

Thanks

I am assuming you are talking about Korean White Pine trees? The important thing is that they are White Pine, regardless of what variety. Watch the needles. If they start to look like grass that has been mowed and started to dry on a side walk; kind of pale and dessicated, then you have a problem. Spray immediately with Captan or some other fungicide. This has been in my experience the big doom of young White Pines in my environment. I do not know the variety of the fungus, I have tried on several occasions to have the department of agriculture identify it and all I get for my efforts is a blank stare. But: Captan works to stop it what ever it is if you catch it early enough.

Top Bottom