Problem with trident and what to do?

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Attached are pictures of an ailing trident. The second one is for reference and has been treated the same as far as watering etc goes. We have had a few tough winters and both were root pruned this spring but the ailing one was slower to come back. Now, for no apparent reason all the leaves are wilted and my concern is if I don't bring it in for the winter it might not survive.

Should i pot it up and bring it in for winter to nurse it back to health or leave it for nature to decide? Frost is coming by November...

Thanks for any advice,
Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_00000231.jpg
    IMG_00000231.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_00000232.jpg
    IMG_00000232.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_00000234.jpg
    IMG_00000234.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 78

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Same as above.

I don't know much about trident (nothing in fact) but sounds to me that dig and pot a sick tree is the best way to kill it completely.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd also leave it for nature, watch the watering on it too it may fluctuate randomly.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jim, have you wintered trident in the ground in Ontario before?

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes Gary, in fact these two have been in the ground for the last 3 years. The trunks are ~ 1.5" at the base. I am 5b just 15 minutes north of Lake Ontario. We normally get a good blanket of snow and the tridents have lots of dieback but I am trying to bulk up the trunks before potting up and then they would get winter protection. Last winter no snow until February and minus 30C weather beat them up pretty good. I should have left them alone but I had to move them to a new bed. It would be a shame to lose this one to another bad winter.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Going to stick with the majority on this one. One strike to move it to another location. But, to do a second strike and mess with those roots so shortly the same year, doesn't sound like right next step. Offer winter protection...and hope for the best.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup.
But you can always sing to it!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tridents don't really like cold weather. As you've found out.

Contact Bill Valavanis's. He lives in Rochester, NY. And do whatever he says. I'm pretty sure he brings his inside.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Damn, nature 3, me 0 so far. thanks for your replies.

Actually : is it because in Ontario people work on sick trees in Sept that the Leaves never make it to the playoffs? Like, in April they are already dead or something?
:p
Sorry ;)
I couldn't resist :)

But may be you don't care much about hockey.
Well, GO HABS GO! Anyway

Last edited:
Top Bottom