Problems with a branch. Juniperus Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I want to try grafting either itoigawa or shimpaku onto ERC. Have people done this successfully? Either it’s either that or plant.
At least ERC is loved by carpenters.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I want to try grafting either itoigawa or shimpaku onto ERC. Have people done this successfully? Either it’s either that or plant.
At least ERC is loved by carpenters.
It must be possible a lot of european and american junipers can be grafted with itoigawa without problems, by scion or aproximation graft

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There was talk that Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' was a better cultivar for bonsai than the wild type. It might be, but I haven't seen any in a few years. Anyway, they discovered 'Grey Owl' is a hybrid, possibly with shimpaku, so that would explain the improved traits.

I don't put time into virginiana anymore, even though volunteers pop up in my yard.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a itoigawa and shimpaku I am growing for cuttings and grafts. I have some grey owls and ERC I am going to attempt to scion graft. @Leo in N E Illinois i have to different grey owl types one that grows upright and one that grows bushy. I could see that they aren’t as scraggly as the erc. One that I repotted two years ago is growing somewhat denser. No long runners. Lower dose of nitrogen. The foliage is pretty.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
There was talk that Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' was a better cultivar for bonsai than the wild type. It might be, but I haven't seen any in a few years. Anyway, they discovered 'Grey Owl' is a hybrid, possibly with shimpaku, so that would explain the improved traits.

I don't put time into virginiana anymore, even though volunteers pop up in my yard.
Yes I can confirm that grey owl can have a really good and tight foliage way better than regular erc, so its totally plausible

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
ERC grafted with Kishu Crataegus bonsai blog, 30 Year Juniper Development Story

dsc_7358.jpeg

Top Bottom