Problems with a branch. Juniperus Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also, friends have informed me (upon my request to review this thread) that I'm being as much of a dick as the people being dicks are. They DID agree about other people being dicks tho.
I apologize for my part in exacerbating that ...... i

Your friends aren't wrong ;) I think you're the one showing a lot of ego... getting angry at pretty much any criticism and just bailing because you don't want to hear what the people have to say even if they are very knowledgeable on a topic that you supposedly have an interest in!

I'm just honestly curious if you have any genuine interest in bonsai...? This is after all a bonsai forum... Did you take a moment to check some of the amazing work or contributions some of the "dicks" who replied to you have posted before? Do you not see the worthiness in someone pointing out that you might just be wasting your time with a certain piece of material based on their previous experience? Do you know something that we don't?!

Quite frankly I'm just baffled by someone asking apparently very basic horticultural questions, and then acting as if they actually had all this stuff figured out and actually didn't need any advice... I guess you and I approach things differently! I come here for basic advice a lot too, I'm pretty new to this after all (maybe you're not?), and post pictures of materials I acquired and usually add "Also, don't hesitate to let me know if that tree is actually trash and not worth spending any time on!", because clearly it's something that I consider to be very valuable information (my time is limited after all). Could be a lack of confidence on my end, or perhaps overconfidence on yours! Who knows!

I still think you'd benefit a lot more from this community if you'd just.. chill out a bit, learn to take constructive criticism (or at the very least ignore it if you're really not interested), instead of just ragequitting...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@artao I Don't think your friends realize the emotion we feel for these trees.

Some here forgot too.

I know what it's like to post something...and wait for that first answer to pop up in hopes that your question is answered...

(Now if everyone else jumps in those shoes for just a minute....)

And imagine you get told to throw that away...

I feel myself in that situation..possibly with the first tree that has lived at all after digging, possibly the first tree that has put on growth..

My level of excitement/whatever other emotions go with that....would have me Motherfucking someone too...

Its about being fair.

It is somehow ok for us to forget these emotions we once had.

And you are supposed to know what it is like here without knowing. And react to it in some inhuman way.

Ass backwards impossible stupid.

Plus...
You dont need a bike story.

You asked a simple question.
Period.

You know what comes after period?

Douche!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Next time you find a broken branch, it's best to wrap it in parafilm or some other tape. If the tree is in good health, it might callus over. I got away with slipping the bark on junipers like that multiple times.

But a dead branch is a dead branch. A dead branch could be thrown away, but I'll STFU about it and GTFO.

Or just ask the animals to fix whatever they broke. It's all their fault this happened.
Put me on that list as well, btw. I get those red spots in my neck when people can't put internet comments into perspective. Just like handling a tree, I think its good to sometimes walk away, cool down, and come back when I'm ready to act as an adult. If I wouldn't have done that, my time here would've been up at the first day. It's hard, but I'm here to get and offer help, not to see who has the biggest dick or the best internet carreer.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Whew....well this one went down in flames quick!

The OP got offended by choppy's first post, which is a truthful post....maybe he could have brought the OP down a little easier, but the truth hurts.....most peoole don't want to hear the truth, they'd rather be bullshitted through.

To the OP, I bet 4 years from now, you'll reread this thread and realize why it happened this way, and you'll have a good laugh.

Welcome to the Nut House, good luck on you journey.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guarantee that I probably have more ERC than anyone on this forum. As of last weekend I have 250 planted for Christmas trees. I have another 100 that will go in the ground after our next good rain. The 100 will be kept closer to the house and trained as topiary or just trained trees. This winter I hope to dig up another 250 trees. When I first joined the nuts I was told that ERC was bad for Bonsai and several reasons were listed. All were correct. ERC is a hearty tree but it has a mind of its own. I currently have 2 that are in the pre-pre Bonsai stage just for fun but I’m not investing a lot of time in them. If I get any more new trees and need bench room, they will go back in the ground. The people here do us beginners a favor when they tell us a tree doesn’t make good Bonsai. There are good ways to say it though.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THIS BRANCH WAS DAMAGED BY FUCKING ANIMALS!!
How are you not getting that?
The tree is not "dropping branches" nor is it losing foliage. You haven't even SEEN the whole tree, just this one branch I'm asking about. So you're then making assumptions about the rest of the tree because you have 25 yrs experience. So you can diagnose an ENTIRE TREE from a picture of a single branch problem, with just a couple other branches barely shown in the picture? WOW!! That's truly a stunning ability.
Get over yourself.

THIRD person on my ignore list now. I've never had so many people on an ignore list so fast in my entire online history of 25+ years. EDIT: In fact, I don't think I've EVER before had ANYONE on an ignore list after only a month on a forum.
Some bonsai people are not only opinionated, but arrogant apparently. Perhaps I should go try the Internet Bonsai Association rather than this place. Never in my life have I encountered arrogant assholes quite to the degree I've encountered them here. From my very first post up to now. It's rarer for people to actually address my questions than it is for them to give unsolicited opinions about the looks or suitability of my specimen.

OK, so post mortem--a lot can be told from "a single picture" and FWIW, there are a couple. Those show foliage only at the ends of branches. Dead branches and funny colored bark on the trunk, along with withering bark on some of the twigs. All of those things indicate the tree has something going on.

Your mileage may vary, but this tree looks to be in decline to me. That advice depends on a larger picture, since conifer branches can't really be saved once the foliage goes brown. I could have said--your branch is pretty well screwed but that would be along the lines of "you might want to fix that flat tire" when your car has a broken suspension.

If the tree is as healthy as you say, more power to ya! good luck.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
OK, so post mortem--a lot can be told from "a single picture" and FWIW, there are a couple. Those show foliage only at the ends of branches. Dead branches and funny colored bark on the trunk, along with withering bark on some of the twigs. All of those things indicate the tree has something going on.

Your mileage may vary, but this tree looks to be in decline to me. That advice depends on a larger picture, since conifer branches can't really be saved once the foliage goes brown. I could have said--your branch is pretty well screwed but that would be along the lines of "you might want to fix that flat tire" when your car has a broken suspension.

If the tree is as healthy as you say, more power to ya! good luck.
Ha ha, you got a better look at it then I did... it actually hurts my eyes to look at a potted ERC... seriously.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like he's taken his act to IBC, where his question about the jade plant is awaiting its first reply.

Maybe someone should go there and suggest the kerosene/match method...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haven't been to IBC in over a year... total ghost town there.
There's a few tumbleweeds still posting occasionally. My guess is that the OP will be back here before long!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like he's taken his act to IBC, where his question about the jade plant is awaiting its first reply.

Maybe someone should go there and suggest the kerosene/match method...
IBC has its share of "egotistical" people too ;). They just don't post very often.

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This is pointless. I'm done here. I'm sure y'all will be as happy for me to leave as I will be to be done with this nonsense.
Lots of ego here. That's for sure.

Also, friends have informed me (upon my request to review this thread) that I'm being as much of a dick as the people being dicks are. They DID agree about other people being dicks tho.
I apologize for my part in exacerbating that ...... EXCEPT in regards to my reply to that first response.

Bai
Hey man, how's the ERC doing these days?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wouldn't count on a reply. If you click on his name, you can see he hasn't visited since June 2018.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Mt. Everest, "Because it was there." So lots of us play with ERC and fail because, It is there. It is one of the few trees in the world that has all of the negative characteristics possible, where many other bad trees only have one or two negative characteristics. To quote another world famous entity, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo, et al.

Top Bottom