Processing nursery-stock to bonsai? (specifically, 'Am I going for full "bonsai-roots" setup at initial re-pot?)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After a very upsetting loss of a transplant I went and got several, smaller nursery-stock specimen of same specie(Loropetalum) but, having "broken the seal"(I never bought, just yamma's & hardwood-propagates), I began buying something almost any time I'm at a hardware store which is pretty often so now have a table building-up with nursery-potted Parsoni's & Creeping Junipers, "green gem" Boxwoods, etc and in "processing" them for bonsai I'm running into the same problem over&over..... They're often (at least a lil) pot-bound, with roots curling back-into the root-mat, and since such non-radial roots are only going to become bigger/larger problems if left til later, I've been spending 20min with a hose & my root-pick til I've got a fully "proper" root-plate ie all roots radiating *laterally* from the trunk[none curling back inward] and none toooo long, and none especially thick if they're >1" below trunk-base on these lil 1-->3gal specimen.

Do people "2-step" the roots on nursery stock? Juniper rooting, in particular, seems weak-as-heck so am expecting most/all of my junipers won't make it (am kinda working from more-aggressive as a starting-point so I can see where the 'threshold' is for what they can take, am not trying to waste a year getting a plant into a pot unless truly *requisite*!)

Thanks a ton for any input, also would like to know how you guys "match canopy to roots" when doing such nursery--->bonsai (pre-bonsai/stock!), like if I had to remove 35% of a specimen's roots to achieve a proper root-plate then what should I do to the top? Have been doing limb-removals to balance, I figure it's a less-traumatic approach than a canopy-wide reduction which is what I would've done before!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also worth adding-- I know I've read "don't bare-root speciesXYZ", but how on earth would one un-tangle a nursery-stock-rootball without almost-fully bare-rooting the thing? I've gotten a couple nursery plants whose roots weren't much of a challenge but the norm for my area is halfway towards pot-bound....has crossed my mind to just use a big, serrated knife and "carve-to-shape" a root-ball, knowingly leaving-in all the "curled-back-inward" roots whose outside-edges you'd just severed which means they will die/decompose in-situ....feel like a (super gentle!!!!) bare-rooting / radial-spreading of the roots is gentler than cut-to-shape or any method that leaves dead roots in there, can only imagine how quick/'hot' the decomp of such roots would be..

Starting to suspect "2-stepping" the process, ie doing left-side now and right-side later, is worthwhile for the species that don't tolerate 'real' root-work very well [looking at Loropetalums here, have already killed 2 nursery specimen trying to prep their roots for bonsai..]

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bad roots - welcome to the world of using nursery stock. I'm being vague, in an effort to generalize. Specific species will have quirks. Some species are particularly forgiving in your climate, you might be able to speed up or compress the sequence below.

When I start with nursery stock, I always consider "getting the roots right" is Job number 1. Period. The "rest of bonsai training" is on hold until the roots have been addressed.

I spent a good deal of time writing from this point. Trying to write "generalized instructions" and I just deleted a few hundred words because there are no useful generalized instructions. Everything is species by species specific. Or at least genus by genus specific. Everything is specific to the genus of plant you are working with.

SO which species or genus are you talking about? Pick only one genus per post.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah I thought about replying to the thread, but I know nothing about junis. However deciduous I can help with...

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bad roots - welcome to the world of using nursery stock. I'm being vague, in an effort to generalize. Specific species will have quirks. Some species are particularly forgiving in your climate, you might be able to speed up or compress the sequence below.

When I start with nursery stock, I always consider "getting the roots right" is Job number 1. Period. The "rest of bonsai training" is on hold until the roots have been addressed.
Ok am glad to hear confirmation, I mean it seems pretty self-evident lol as to not do so would be to exacerbate bad-roots and no point growing a nice top if it could be compromised later by root-removal so as you say *Job #1*, period!!

I did omit from my post that, much like my collected Live Oak seedlings (a species I gave-up on collecting yammas, just like w/ Loro's I did long-term "2-step" collections from-ground and all eventually fail even if survive some months they just keep getting weaker/never regain vigor after initial flush or two), that *all* nursery-stock that gets this treatment:
- first spent at least 1.5wks in my garden/in my regimens, verified as still-thriving (except Junipers am playing fast&loose and relying on #'s there), and after this initial root-work they're:
- kept in very-limited lighting, maybe 50/50 direct-sun until around 10am and indirect-only remainder of the day. They are either misted, or hit with the hose, at least 3-5x/day (and obviously no fertilizer now, obviously great soil / pH in-check / etc, only addenda there is I use a higher% sphaghnum(tan!) in the mix around the root-ball and tend to mulch, even if rock-mulch)

Have been using regular bonsai training pots and some colanders but w/ colanders I'm wrapping them w/ landscape-fabric to prevent side-losses, just want the colanders for once they're established!

I spent a good deal of time writing from this point. Trying to write "generalized instructions" and I just deleted a few hundred words because there are no useful generalized instructions. Everything is species by species specific. Or at least genus by genus specific. Everything is specific to the genus of plant you are working with.

SO which species or genus are you talking about? Pick only one genus per post.
Well then!! That gets difficult fast... I defer to you(can recall enough of your posts on soil-/water-/fert-science ;) ) of course but, of what I'd outlined above as my aftercare, which of my species shouldn't get such love? I'm dealing w/ just the mentioned ones I think:
- Juniper (a creeper, wanna say blue pacific maybe, and a parsoni. Also have (2) >1yrs old [blue rugs, I think] junipers that'd been stagnant in bad nursery soil for a while that I finally did 'open up' and process their roots, they look like the blue rug or blue pacific creepers I've recently bought)
- Boxwood ("Baby Gem" variety), had a crazy-thick trunk for what it was so have 1 of these in fact it's my 1st non-Juniper nursery..
- Loropetalums... have already killed these trying to process to bonsai-stock, have 1 right now that's doing well and another 2 un-touched.

I guess it's worth me posting a Junipers thread, but already have one on Loro's and my Boxwood is doing well at like 2-2.5wks, would be curious though if *any* don't like misting, or don't like lots of shade/avoidance of *any* high-intensity sun(especially while-hot), had always figured those as general "help a weak plant get-stable in FL summers" guidelines, virtually infallible unless talking succulents/plumerias/etc etc ;P

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah I thought about replying to the thread, but I know nothing about junis. However deciduous I can help with...
Thoughts on Loro's? Or boxwoods actually!! Though my boxwood seems to have taken (over 1/2 month and zero signs of stress), Junipers are something I'll take to /conifers forum but Loro's are the bane of my existence, had all-but-given-up on them, then w/ the last 1 of a hedgerow(that I'd repeatedly tried/failed collecting from), I severed the main roots in late 2017 and left it, forgot about it, luckily got it in early March as it was well-into its 1st flush....gave a real hearty 1st flush once collected(better than what it'd had in-ground!), solid 2nd flush and new hardwood budding, then 3rd flush hardly arrived and 2nd started fading fast, thing was dead in a week or two...that was when I said "forget it I'll grow-out Loro stock, do clip&grow to save the time of a real grow/trunk-chop/re-grow-canopy" and started buying/testing $10 lil Loro's!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok I have a lot of experience with both these. Loro be careful of any type of root work especially out of season. I have successfully killed two very nice Loro trunks, getting them from nursery soil into bonsai soil. I gave up after the last one. Boxwood can take a lot of root reduction after getting into bonsai soil, so I would have no qualms telling you to go ahead and get busy with those. I've taken off at least 2/3rd's of boxwood roots with no issues.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of 100 Nursery trees is worth buying for the trunk.
One of 100 of those are going to have roots that it is possible to bring down to a Bonsai pot without killing them.

So selection in the beginning is important. Everything in fact.

@Vance Wood is the only person I know that has made the National Show with a collection comprised of 90% potted Nursery Material, if not 100%.Transitional baskets, no savage root work, patience, seems to be the key.

Have you read my Boxwood for Real thread? I think you'd dig it, I went and read it again. I think it's due for an update. I'm 100% convinced that for me, box need to be equally reduced. If I reduce too much toop and don't Repot. Death. If I cut the hell out of everything, they bang out. Can't say I've ever left a full canopy on a box at Repot, but I don't think there is ever a need to, Nursery Boxes tend to need one mindless cut back to the first green everywhere upon purchase, then they fall into order easily.

I been cutting 70% off of juniper roots leaving full tops. Doing this..
"carve-to-shape"
filling around a bit with DE, mossing the tops, and they push roots in a week. Full moon Repot...key.

I have 2 concepts of how Nursery Roots become bonsai Roots.
Dry Death, and Wet Death.

If you transition to a regular pot, or leave it in the nursery pot, the core is able to remain wet, and everything will rot out in time, making it easy to remove excess and put fresh soil.

In baskets, because there is no pot wall returning water into the center and up the core, the center mass dries out, and becomes easy to remove the excess, and add fresh soil.

This works simply because In an environment where there is daily surface water, surface roots grow. That is a tree thing. We have to utilize these tree things to our benefit when transitioning these materials.

Rather than water "deeply" like all the books on finished bonsai say, why not just lightly water the surface every hour? Trees want to live, they'll figure out how to rid themselves of the excess BS below that they aren't using, and they will grow where the conditions are right.

Sorce

Reactions: SU2

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None of the species you discuss will tolerate "full on root set up". Fine for things like willow leaf ficus, olives and elms... And there really is no reason for it. Bonsai is about persistence. If you strain one part of the system you potentially set it back where a bit of patience would have been more efficient.

I don't mess with Lora's much. Other than yeah, they don't seem to like aggressive work.

My boxwood experience coincides with Sorce's though you/we need to bear in mind that he gets like 3 days in August that approach a TX/FL summer... :) Climate is definitely a factor...

I just did over 20 boxes for a wedding - making basically "mallsai" centerpieces ( I feel a little dirty but my future daughter gets what she wants!) ----half in the first week of February- 50-75% reduction by saw and 75% foliage removal and wiring of main branches... repotted into a bonsai grow out mix (50/50 organic/perlite-pumice- box like to be evenly moist... They get kelp-fulvic acid foliar and soil feed. We don't want aggressive nitrogen growth that will over run the root. The second half was done May 24th- very late in our season with temps in the 902 already. Same treatment. They are bouncing back quite well. I continue to pick and tweak weekly- removing old leaves, particularly as buds break and selecting a branch here and there. They will be slip potted in early September in the same forgiving mix.

My normal work if they were staying on my bench would then proceed to a half or third bare root and root selection every year or two over about 3 or 4 years into sequentially smaller pots. Collected boxwoods seem to tolerate a heavy reduction/chop back in the top once, back budding strongly, but get real finikky about subsequent severe reductions...

Junipers are handled much slower. Tradition and experience says you never heavily work top and bottom at the same time "junipers carry their strength in the foliage". You can do 50-50 root work over 2 sessions but you really shouldn't do a second assault on the root ball until you see strong growth recovery up top. Bear in mind specific roots feed corresponding branches. Often times you can relieve root bound conditions in a pot up and gently chop sticking pumice or other aggregate into the root ball. Of course if your top already looks weak then you can probably just say screw it and gently bare root it to get it into better soil since it likely will crap out anyway.

My thoughts anyway...

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also as Sorce says you have to water carefully with a careful consideration of pot-soil dynamics.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok I have a lot of experience with both these. Loro be careful of any type of root work especially out of season. I have successfully killed two very nice Loro trunks, getting them from nursery soil into bonsai soil. I gave up after the last one. Boxwood can take a lot of root reduction after getting into bonsai soil, so I would have no qualms telling you to go ahead and get busy with those. I've taken off at least 2/3rd's of boxwood roots with no issues.
My Boxwood was, thankfully, not so root-bound and I probably did around 2/3rd-->3/4th reduction of its rootplate w/o issue (think he's @3wks now, I reduced canopy's limbs by about 1/4th to compensate and he looks healthy&happy still, have given-up on my nursery-diary so no specific dates anymore...is keeping dates a norm? I'd done so for years but starting to feel 'past it'..)

I hear you Re giving-up on Loro's, but if you google and see what can be, it's so damn hard to give-up...I have accepted there's a good chance I'll never see their completion, but will be happy just getting them to be bonsai even pre-bonsai!! Loro's & Oaks are the two specie I just can't quit on, they're too-great if/once you get them bonsai'd! I've got (2) Loro's left "waiting to see", one was recently cut and I'm currently watching for its death/success and the other I'm planning to hit today BUT going to do it differently, going to do a VERY minimal *reduction* of the root-mass, focusing instead on solely flattening/radially-laying the roots, see if it tolerates that type of shock better...there's gotta be a way here, I know I'll find it lol (with Oaks I finally found my way, I collect seedlings by the scores and transplant them together, have a ton of "SU2 Live Oak" specimen that are actually multiple Live Oaks so, once they're fattening/growing-out properly, they'll fuse and I'll have 3X, 5X or more the girth(and ramification) of a single-stem Live Oak!)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also worth adding-- I know I've read "don't bare-root speciesXYZ", but how on earth would one un-tangle a nursery-stock-rootball without almost-fully bare-rooting the thing?

With fine-rooting species like azaleas, boxwoods and the like, if you have to do major root work, it is best to do it over the course of several years until you have the root structure you like and the tree is established in bonsai soil. If you have to reduce the depth of the roots, only cut them about 50% (depending on the train wreck you are working with). If you have nasty tangled roots around the nebari, think of the root mass like a pie (when viewed from above) and bare root a pie-slice of about 1/3th of the roots on each side of the root ball, prune them and untangle them (cleaning about 1/3 of the entire root ball in one go). That way in 3 years you have a much better root mass without ever once bare-rooting the entire tree.

Also when you do this work, you need to get creative about placing tiles or even pie-shaped pieces of wood under that root ball so that your new roots grow outwards instead of down.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With fine-rooting species like azaleas, boxwoods and the like, if you have to do major root work, it is best to do it over the course of several years until you have the root structure you like and the tree is established in bonsai soil.
I have found that of all the species, boxwoods and azaleas are actually the most forgiving (bald cypress too) as far as drastic root work as long as they are healthy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have found that of all the species, boxwoods and azaleas are actually the most forgiving (bald cypress too) as far as drastic root work as long as they are healthy.

It is a strange thing for me. If you are moving them out of a nursery pot / nursery soil, I have found them extremely sensitive. However once established in good bonsai soil, I have found them quite hardy. I can't explain it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is a strange thing for me. If you are moving them out of a nursery pot / nursery soil, I have found them extremely sensitive. However once established in good bonsai soil, I have found them quite hardy. I can't explain it.
Perhaps its the difference in humidity of our climate here and your past climate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel a little dirty but my future daughter gets what she wants!)

👏 My God good for you! Sorceress asked my 15YO girlfriend what she wanted for her birthday and she said a pack of beef jerky, somehow Sorceress upsold her to a gold chain. WTF!? Beef jerky is so much more useful!

We got 90's already!

And it is within those regular 3 100F days that I do repot.

I am a firm believer in heat has nothing to do with it.
If it's heeded of course. If one knows they get a good 2 months hot of no root activity, I wouldn't Repot then. I think roots can be kept active with water.

Sorce

Sekibonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
👏 My God good for you! Sorceress asked my 15YO girlfriend what she wanted for her birthday and she said a pack of beef jerky, somehow Sorceress upsold her to a gold chain. WTF!? Beef jerky is so much more useful!

We got 90's already!

And it is within those regular 3 100F days that I do repot.

I am a firm believer in heat has nothing to do with it.
If it's heeded of course. If one knows they get a good 2 months hot of no root activity, I wouldn't Repot then. I think roots can be kept active with water.

Sorce
Yes we call those months our "second winters" - everything stops until September- one can do all sorts of things if you know a few tricks- digging water elms out of Lake Catahoula for example.... but it is risky. Have to keep those roots happy and in the zone. Trying the white cloth wrap this year to see if a few pouting trees are a bit happier with hot heads and cooler roots.

Pulling every hydro growing trick I can find to push them boxies. Not sure if they come back to the nursery, if they will hide a "lucky number" under one chair at each table...

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your post here was so great that I probably did 2 or 3 'attempted replies' that I wasn't happy with, honestly there was still a lot for me to mull-over and even to learn but wanted to say sorry for such a delay & thanks for such a great, thorough ans

One of 100 Nursery trees is worth buying for the trunk.
One of 100 of those are going to have roots that it is possible to bring down to a Bonsai pot without killing them.
Heh this does seem to be the case!! Obviously things vary wildly but I got several Loropetalums after my final yamma one had died, finally got *one* to survive and it's still just 'alive' not thriving (hmm maybe I should put it to higher sun? It gets mostly-indirect light til ~noon, then all indirect....am afraid to look at it wrong, my sole surviving Loro....though its roots were done fully & it's in a colander so it's not gonna need another root-job that'll kill it now I can just wait&hope it gets strong and only intervene when the rootplate has 'eaten-away' everything in the colander except the minerals/rocks ;P )

It really is insane I'd like to avoid nursery buys as much as I can, just needed that Loro as I neeeeed one lol but yeah I'm much happier to collect yamadori that's (IMO!!) giving you great trunks all over the plate whereas nurseries.....not so much :p [[though this type of preference would also, of course, have to take into account your tastes/preferences for bonsai-aesthetics, some like small Naturalistic bonsai others like big squat "Fairy Tale Style"(Pall) trees, I'm all-in on the latter and yamma's are the path there and to be clear I'm hardly touching conifers I mean broadleaf deciduous....trunk-chop-wounding is a PITB to cover but it's like a 5yr venture if done right, heck I've already got some closed chop wounds in my collection, IMO nursery is getting stock to "build-into" a bonsai whereas yammas are far more often "getting stock to reduce-down-into" bonsai, yes you reduce then add a canopy/apex but especially when you've got thicker yamma trunks the inherent die-back, since they no longer have a fraction of the rootplate they're used to having, creates so much wild features in the body that I just cannot 'get' the idea of nursery being a main avenue!! I know not everyone is capable of collecting yamma's, but w/ how difficult starting-from-nursery is, if I couldn't get yamma's I'd be buying stock that was already processed for bonsai & just pay that premium, not worth the #'s game of nurseries IMO the odds just suck from what I've seen!!

I been cutting 70% off of juniper roots leaving full tops. Doing this..
filling around a bit with DE, mossing the tops, and they push roots in a week. Full moon Repot...key.
I have 2 concepts of how Nursery Roots become bonsai Roots.
Dry Death, and Wet Death.

If you transition to a regular pot, or leave it in the nursery pot, the core is able to remain wet, and everything will rot out in time, making it easy to remove excess and put fresh soil.

In baskets, because there is no pot wall returning water into the center and up the core, the center mass dries out, and becomes easy to remove the excess, and add fresh soil.
you lost me a bit here...

However...
Disagreement: You're saying 'center dries-out better with grow-basket containers', I feel like it's not right to distinguish "center" here...the whole rootplate gets along better in such containers in fact the reason I made this thread & all my Loropetalum drama? Well after the last yamma died I started buying nursery ones just lil ~$10-15 specimen and, one-by-one, I'd "prep them for bonsai" primarily their roots (one instance I did remove a good deal of the top, another instance I did some defoliation, 2 or 3 instances I left the tops fully un-touched) Did varying degrees of aggressiveness to the roots (both "1 step" and "gonna need more root-work" approaches), and only 1 survived - it was:
- moderately pruned up-top, got
- a full 'bonsai-pot' root job, and was
- 1-of-2 that I'd put into a root-maker container

My other failed-loro in a root-maker (colander) was also the one I did the hardest canopy-reduction on, so not blaming colander for that....I think that having an aerial root-pruning is of massive significance in fact my last two container builds, that'd normally have been me making wooden boxes, were instead me bending metal hardware-cloth(thick metal screening) into shape and lining with 'shade cloth' to make my own 'grow bag' containers!!
This works simply because In an environment where there is daily surface water, surface roots grow. That is a tree thing. We have to utilize these tree things to our benefit when transitioning these materials.
Important observation for sure :) Yes I do this myself in fact I like using thin, wet bark (I get a good deal of this from carving green-wood that's being prepped for wood-working/carving) because it's a great physical barrier and moist, once established though I find most species actually do better with 'open top' substrates that 'can breathe' in fact in my nursery I'm always 'shuffling-around' top dressings(or 'mulchings') in that, when in-need of some, I just go and remove it from a specimen that'd previously needed it but no longer does...I know what you mean Re trees loving to grow their feeders right-at soil level but for obvious reasons this can negate the aesthetics we're aiming for in that area for instance I've got some Maples with really showy bases/nebari and, being swamp trees, they'd actually benefit a good deal if I could just leave big messy piles of leaf-mulch atop their substrate (and I do in year-1 ;) ) but they just aggressively shoot roots into it from higher-up on the bark than I'd like so with stronger rooters it's actually a fight/takes some vigilance to keep the soil-level just right, for transplants or specimen who were just root-pruned then it's great IMO and even things like bark-rot at the base don't become an issue for a lil bit and the plant tends to only 'need' the help of that surface-protection for a lil bit as all those surface roots, once a bit further along, have enough downward growth that "exposing the surface" just kills a tiny% and the rest of the surface roots simply toughen-up their uppermost-layer as necessary in fact this is something I "play with" so far as design aesthetics on some specimen by the technique of "continual, over-time raising" of the specimen in its container / relative to its soil-surface :)
Rather than water "deeply" like all the books on finished bonsai say, why not just lightly water the surface every hour? Trees want to live, they'll figure out how to rid themselves of the excess BS below that they aren't using, and they will grow where the conditions are right.
well...heh I could say a lot about this[not in-disagreement, just a topic I deal w/ frequently because water balance can be a PITB here&now when the trees are thirsty as can be but the atmosphere never dries out!] but......watering deeply is actually a problem for me this time of year in FL because it's so humid, not only do I not water-deeply many days but I've also found that mid-day irrigation helps a great deal above&beyond mere water-to-the-roots.....when doing a "pall style watering" (hosing the heck outta everything) you're showing the crowns/canopies/trunks, as-if it'd been raining out, the trees have been cooled via external sources and:
- are not devoting nearly as much energy(resources) to transpiration&cooling, and
- are not spending hours doing that midday "quasi-senescent wilt", here in FL we've got days where the roots simply cannot pull the water needed to keep the foliage turgid, artificial irrigations in the midday can :D (this, coupled w/ getting pH on-point, has let the use of Pall's fertilization approach, here in semi-tropic Florida, has led to some stunning growth rates in my nursery I mean it's insane it was last summer when I had to dial-back nitrogen because I just couldn't keep-up w/ the vegetative rates and the increased pests that soft, forced growth tends to invite -- I never use chemicals / have pest issues, and I'm quite sure it's simply result of Pall-type watering although will say I make a point of being aggressive to the foliage w/ the hose, it really sets-back any pest attacks :D )

By not 'watering deeply' I mean it's just not every watering, I do flood-waterings w/ pure rainwater at least every few days, and the sheer volume of water from the hosings can 'flood' in many cases (I am at the trees/canopies more than the surfaces) but again it's too-humid right now so I'm back to hand-waterings and, in that context, I do do a standard 'pall style' of heavy heavy waterings, let them dry-out, repeat (it's funny because the ground here can be wet, the air so moist you can feel it, but my thirstier trees will have sucked their substrate bone-dry lol!!)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@SU2
Nearing the 12th post here is how I typically handle nursery junipers.
You can see how much root work I do with a healthy bushy juniper.
The next potting I will remove a little more nursery soil, much less roots, but still tending to them.
After recovery that year I initially put them up, I do very little foliage work if any at all.
In my climate they do best hard pruned early July as with the example of the Gold Lace and Sargent above.
Hope that helps .
Oh, more Sunlight after repotting with afternoon or late afternoon shade on through the evening.
I mean the Sun is why I want my juniper bushy before I repot it to drive root development and survival
once potted up.

Top Bottom