Procumbens - 1 1/2 Years Work

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first pic is one of my procumbens junipers when I first got it and potted it from its nursery pot. I've been working with procumbens junipers for many years and the one thing I found is that they respond very well to pinching to shape as you can see in the second pic after only one years work. Granted there are other junipers that don't respond this way and are actually harmful to the tree but procumbens is not and I live in Texas where the summer temps are terrible and put a lot of stress on anything, these guys aren't phased at all. :)
175923875_1378828819160709_7213485065148468699_n.jpg
jun234.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very impressive, especially for one year! Nice!

When you say that you’re “pinching to shape”, how often are you doing that? Is it just once or twice during the spring/summer, or is it more continuous and constant that you perform when a particular shoot gets stronger than the rest?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another one with before and after pics purchased at the same time as the one above and also pinched to shape and coming along very nicely. :)
IMG_1981_pe.jpg
242293055_1060990760972480_6717860084200391289_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very impressive, especially for one year! Nice!

When you say that you’re “pinching to shape”, how often are you doing that? Is it just once or twice during the spring/summer, or is it more continuous and constant that you perform when a particular shoot gets stronger than the rest?

Hi, yeah it's constant, these guys will get away from you real fast if you're not careful. :)

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful trees!! Where did you purchase?

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very nice, what about the cascade pot? I've been looking for something like that for mine. Still in training pots and will most likely move over before the next spring.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice, what about the cascade pot? I've been looking for something like that for mine. Still in training pots and will most likely move over before the next spring.
I'll have to check with a friend of mine who had this pot for this tree, I believe he got it somewhere local here in the DFW area but I'll ask and repost if I find out.

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll have to check with a friend of mine who had this pot for this tree, I believe he got it somewhere local here in the DFW area but I'll ask and repost if I find out.
Thank you, I like to get my pots in person. Like to hold and see it. Most shops just have your standard size pots unfortunately.

Top Bottom