Procumbens 2 - The NON-Urine one.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The non urine one? Explain please hahah
My first Procumbens... is.. um.. POORLY recovering from my last "Yard Vandalism"-session..

In said session... It was heaved against a cement wall, shattering the container, and then Urinated upon.. 😬

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am, historically, notoriously hopeless with Conifers/Evergreens.. So will be asking many questions as we get to fall/winter.

Probably to @Japonicus and @Wires_Guy_wires .... cause they're NICE TO ME!!

😂😂😂

(And we've spoken in the past about evergreens.. and they've TRIED to help me not kill them..)

For some reason... collected conifers are the only ones I can keep alive. EVEN then, my success rate is not "super"

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well 1st off you selected a procumbens with an exceptional amount of juvenile growth.
Personally I think juvenile growth has less surface area for sunlight. It's an assumption for me.
Truth is, it was stressed at some point prior to your purchase...now it's insulted double duty.
A junipers strength comes from its foliage, which will help speed recovery after repotting or
collectively gain vigor prior to a work out, rather than going from surgery to physical therapy in same day/season.

You're going at this like a JM in Spring at bud brake though, unpotting and a harsh cut back
with more than half of the remaining foliage being juvenile at that.
With it unpotted, what did you do with the feet this go around?

You could do 1 of 2 things here for a successful beginning.
Please allow me to illustrate...

Work the foliage
DSC_7845.JPGDSC_7848.JPG

or, work the roots
DSC_7687.JPGDSC_7711.JPG
Hope this helps your endeavour into the horticultural facet of conifers.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you!!!

The roots received no work.. I just slid it (root mass) out of the container to access the base, easier... then slid right back in.

I would never repot ANYTHING around this time.

Is juvenile juniper foliage like fingers.. cause that's what most of this was.. not needles.. but tiny green "dredlocks".

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hahaha!! You were probably thinkin' "C'mon MAN!... you REPOTTED IT!?!?"

😂😂

Either way, a vicious "haircut", I understand.... it .. got away from me... I got lost in the "music" of tree-work.

🤣🤣

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
s juvenile juniper foliage like fingers.. cause that's what most of this was
Yes. Needle juniper (procumbens included) has scale type juvenile foliage.
Scale type juniper like Shimpaku, has needle type juvenile foliage.
HLF Juvi proc.jpeg
Circled in red here is 100% juvenile. Back away in a full shot, the whole apex looks juvenile, but in your close up
it appears to be striving to bud out needles at many of the tips that aren't bug eaten.
Like where the arrow is pointing to juvenile but the tip trying to bud normally.

The roots looked like they'd been fluffed some in the 2nd pic, post 1.

Have you done the paper test? Overall colour is pretty good. Don't suspect mites, but should check.
Still, somethings been chomping down on it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not fluffed intentionally. :)

Some surface roots possibly jostled when removing low branches.

Nothing CONSCIOUSLY, with intent, "done" to the roots. 😂

I will paper test, But everything I bring IN normally, gets treated for bugs and spores juuust in case.

Thank you for the information. That's interesting the contrast in maturity regarding foliage in Needle Junis and Scales.

🤓

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wait, what? Did you misspeak or am I missing something - J. procumbens has spiky juvenile foliage, and scale mature foliage. https://www.kusamurabonsai.org/articles/juvenile-and-mature-juniper-foliage/
Please see @Brian Van Fleet s Nebari Word Press
or maybe he could link the illustration.
Your term “spiky” should be replaced with either needle or scale to be accurate.
Needle juniper (procumbens included) has scale type juvenile foliage.
Scale type juniper like Shimpaku, has needle type juvenile foliage.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t mean to give unsolicited advice, but since you stated that you’re having issues with conifers, I’ll throw my 2 cents in the ring…

Personally I would never remove that much foliage on a juniper in one fell swoop. Looks like 90-95% of the foliage was pruned off. Obviously there is no mathematical formula for this but I would aim for more like 40-50% at the very most.

It is widely discussed that junipers’ “strength is in the foliage” and therefore removing this much foliage can be detrimental. I’ve found it’s better to reduce in stages, even if just a few months apart. For example perhaps work it in spring, give it a chance to recover, and then go back in later in the summer.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom