Procumbens Juniper progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Hello Bnuts! My first progression thread! I've been bitten by the bonsai bug HARD. Its been about 14 months now since I acquired my first few trees and I now have about 20-25 that I care deeply about. It's a sickness, that I am ok with! I'm already trying to get collection permits! :p

This juniper is one of the more glamorous pieces of material I have purchased. Picked up from California Bonsai Stuido in Thousand Oaks, CA. Honestly, not sure anymore what kind of juniper this is. Either a San Jose or a Procumbens. Either way, I never saw corded foliage as of yet. So we will see what happens over time. I cut it back hard shortly after. Cut it back to about 2 shoots and removed all the branches I deemed unworthy for my design. I plan to do a bit of stylizing/carving to it in autum/winter.

I re-potted it about 2 weeks ago (1:1:1 pumice, lava rock, & akadama) and recently moved it into the sun full-time. This was the longest re-potting I have done on a tree. I spent a good 2.5 hours sorting the matted compacted root-ball. Not sure if I should sphagnum moss coat the top soil or just leave it be. I know these guys like to be on the dry side. Though we get some serious dry weather + santa anna winds that rip through my valley.

Here are is a photo from a few months back with new growth pushing out. This is the back
DSC01172.JPG

And today this morning, looking sexy! This will most likely be my front.
DSC01872.JPG

Anyways, Cheers! :cool:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYC!

The only sons a bitches who can have a progression thread on a tree that would have died from that foliage removal anywhere else.

I wish....they.....all....could be....

Well East Coast Junipers are shit I really see the death they share....
And them Southern J's except for BVF's, shed all their clothes until they're bare....
The Midwest Farmers almanac repotted J's they do alright...
And them Northern J's after the buckets kicked, keep Wireme Warm at night....

I wish they all could be California J's!

Fuckers!

Sorce

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
:oops:

ANYWAY... lol

Looks like a straight procumbens to me. Really nice trunk! Looks Nike some good Newark getting started, too. Some day you should work on the jin to make it look more natural.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Styled it up and raffia'd a branch in place. Starting to take form. I was going to wait till winter but I was bored this morning :p

And yeah, that jin in next up on the chopping block.

Before branch bend
juni1.png

After bend
juni2.png

my vision in a few years
juni-mockup.png

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Starting to look good! Wow! And thanks for actually updating a progression, and the virtual!
This foliage looks like my juniperus chinensis. The adult foliage I spot in the right lower branch looks like the adult foliage as well.
My procumbens have way denser foliage, way compacter leaf shape, except for the juvenile stage which looks kind of like this. But I could be completely wrong.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Snap, crackle, & pop.

I raffia'd and wired another juni today. I think this one is a san jose? Ill just post it here instead of spamming the forum with these common junipers :)

Bought it from Kimura bonsai in the san fernando valley out here 5 or 6 months ago (@bonsaibp Thanks for the great material) This place has supplied me with about 40% of my material.

The cutie pie girl workin the nursery sold me on it :p:p

Before style - side shot
juni-before1.jpg

Another before shot, from the planned front. this one shows the tunk that is hidden within this pot. It got hit with santa annas hard and fell over while I was out at work. So I did an emergency potting into a nice deep pot to recover.
juni-before2.jpg

All dressed up and ready to party.
Aftershot side
juni-after2.jpg

after front
juni-after1.jpg

some of the trunk. There is a bit more underneath.
trunk.jpg

Ill plan on putting it in a more shallow pot spring 2020.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a nice, clean design... I want to say classic? Love the line of the trunk

Brent

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great! So happy it survived your first MEGA prune! Roots must have been quite healthy. Your vision and planning has been great and in my opinion makes all the difference with trees. Too often those new to this world go in o a tree with out a plan and struggle. I myself when I first started. Great job. 👍🏻

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Been over a year since I updated this tree. It was slammed into a little drum pot this spring then wired and appears to be doing fairly well. This week I cleaned up the trunk and treated some of the deadwood too. Really starting to look like an old tree. I hope I can tame the foliage and turn it into some mature cords, but if all fails I have 5-6 shimpaku clippings being grown and plan to graft something in January 2021. More then likely will end up grafting either way, as this non-nana varient is pretty painful to deal with.

1594426105152.png

Top Bottom