aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 106917 View attachment 106918 My weekends before and after. All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Not sure of the exact species though. Thanks for looking.
Jrs
You sis a very goof job. The only branch that bothers me is the lowest left branch coming slightly forward, is on the inside of a curve and will cause taper issues down the road.

Aaron

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Jrs1672 WOW 35 yo. that first jin looks rough, and that little knob under the first branch on right side is ????jin to be? After 35 yrs. you would think it would look it's age but it don't.
I don't see any blue/green in foaliage, some shari would make it look aged. Nice bright green foaliage though, will look nice if it fills in a little more and maybe the blue will show up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vin. I agree.

@MichaelS nice too!

@Steve Kudela I'd take the left back to raise it up some in vins virt, and maybe squash the rest of the left up too.

Though that MichaelS ideas is very provocative too!

Killer either way. And now!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ok thanks..one other question..i had a pot get knocked over and broke. When i went to put it in another pot i noticed somethin in the root that looked like wet cat hair..should i be concerned

Rick
Without actually seeing this substance I am prone to think it was probabbly microhiza and nothing to worry about ---as long as it was white.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Jrs1672 WOW 35 yo. that first jin looks rough, and that little knob under the first branch on right side is ????jin to be? After 35 yrs. you would think it would look it's age but it don't.
I don't see any blue/green in foaliage, some shari would make it look aged. Nice bright green foaliage though, will look nice if it fills in a little more and maybe the blue will show up.
Maybe the color is the result of the photograph?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey folks, here is a pair of older procumbens. Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I thought I would put 'em up. The first one is approx. 35 yo. Toyed with it awhile and finally put it in the ground for 15-18 years. I took it up maybe 6 years ago . . .

Here is one of them I put in the ground like 40 ago.
It has tried to die so many times I can't even remember.
P1010119.JPG P1010119.JPG P1010120.JPG P1010123.JPG P1010124.JPG P1010125.JPG P1010126.JPG P1010119.JPG P1010120.JPG P1010123.JPG P1010124.JPG P1010125.JPG P1010126.JPG P1010119.JPG P1010120.JPG P1010123.JPG P1010124.JPG P1010125.JPG P1010126.JPG P1010119.JPG P1010120.JPG P1010123.JPG P1010124.JPG P1010125.JPG P1010126.JPG P1010119.JPG P1010120.JPG P1010123.JPG P1010124.JPG P1010125.JPG P1010126.JPG
Something happened. Repeated the pics? Edit mentally.
I will get it in a pot sometime in the next 10.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is one of them I put in the ground like 40 ago.
It has tried to die so many times I can't even remember.
I will get it in a pot sometime in the next 10.
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. ;)
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. :)
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. :confused:
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. :p
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. :cool:
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one.o_O
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one.:oops:
Just trying to stay with the mental ambience. :rolleyes:

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put that damn thing out of its misery! I'll even send you a pot if you need one. ;)
Just trying to stay with the mental ambience. :rolleyes:
Cute.
[Note to self: create some emojis of hands; especially one with
an extended/extending middle finger.]
I'll accept the pot if you insist :rolleyes: but it still won't get around to
one for a few more years. I still haven't done any wiring or
trimming on this thing in all that time. Needs some major
thinning and work; that includes waiting on the root tourniquets
to back some roots into the same State as the top. I want it in a pot
so badly but not at the expense of the tree's life. I will take it nice
and slow as usual. :cool:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cute.
[Note to self: create some emojis of hands; especially one with
an extended/extending middle finger.]
I'll accept the pot if you insist :rolleyes: but it still won't get around to
one for a few more years. I still haven't done any wiring or
trimming on this thing in all that time. Needs some major
thinning and work; that includes waiting on the root tourniquets
to back some roots into the same State as the top. I want it in a pot
so badly but not at the expense of the tree's life. I will take it nice
and slow as usual. :cool:
LOL! I believe a single fingered emoji would get used more than any other around here. :)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL! I believe a single fingered emoji would get used more than any other around here. :)

No Doubt. Now I just need to trademark/copyright it . . .
Inside of a year the royalties/licensing would let me buy ANY
collection in this country. And that is income from this
site alone. Overall? Should be able to knock a heck of a
hole in the national debt. After all; once you pass $10 million
the rest is just a ridiculous collection of pretty toilet paper.

Reactions: Vin

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had this one that died about 5 minutes after I did this "styling" and took this picture.

Not to be thwarted, I got this one:

Which looks like this as of today:

Then I got this one:

Which looks like this as of today:

And here is my cascade that I screwed up earlier this year. I was doing some trimming of some downward growing shoots and accidentally snipped off a whole branch. I'm sure you can see where it was. I'm hoping it will pop a bud but I may have to come up with another plan if it doesn't.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Won't trimming the pads start some back budding in a year or so? That bare spot will never catch up to the rest. The pads look pretty good, I mean nice and full, I would flatten the bottoms on the cascade.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have an enthusiasm and tenacity that will go places. You can continue going the way you are going and over time figure things out or you can seek some instruction and training. I was thinking about the very subject earlier today, it is possible with the current state of the art that a determined person could learn how to do bonsai well in a few short years. Learning and developing the art could take a bit longer. However the problem with the art thing is that it is limited by the plant thing. Often we don't have the courage to make attempts to make a bonsai. In my early years everyone believed we had to grow our trees into bonsai when the actual truth was, and still is, that most good bonsai are the products of larger trees being cut down into bonsai. The reason is in the cut down method we are able to take advantage of larger trunks and mature looking branches that are made impressive and old looking when cut down to a smaller tree. A teacher will help you in putting these kind of things in proportions. There are some decent teachers in your area you might want to take advantage of.

The point of how this relates to what you are doing is simply this. Your are attracted to the Procumbens Juniper because of the wonderful full foliage that look mature and what you see of bonsai in the pictures. However Procumbens Junipers, have lousy, small and feeble trunks. They have to have a good deal of age on them to develope a trunk worth the effort to make one into a bonsai. I do not wish to discourage your efforts, I hope you will continue to design bonsai it is the only way to master that which you have learned, but advance to larger and diverse trees. Many of the sub-species of the Chines Juniper family have some really nice trees that make great bonsai. You ought to try some of them.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It changed my life when I noticed the emojis on my iPhone has one! I barely even need to type words in my texts any more...
Every thing is:
(Middle finger emoji) u
(Middle finger emoji) yo momma
(Middle finger emoji) clemsun
(Middle finger emoji) -insert image of animal related to mascot for whatever team the Gamecocks are playing....

You get the idea...

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom