KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For those of us that have procumbens (nana) junipers, why don't we all share some pics? I've seen a bunch in the forums, but I thought it would be helpful to have a thread to share info and pics with each other.

I recently picked up a couple Green Mound junipers. I thought they were just a renamed procumbens nana, but the foliage looks a lot bluer.

Then I found some nanas for $5 each. Went back to get a couple more and they were marked down 50%. So now I have 11 one gallon nanas sitting around.

Tonight I did an initial styling and repotting on one of the one gallon nanas. I'm still learning a lot about styling and wiring, but I think it came out ok. Better than in the picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 361
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 353
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 350

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For those of us that have procumbens (nana) junipers, why don't we all share some pics? I've seen a bunch in the forums, but I thought it would be helpful to have a thread to share info and pics with each other.

I recently picked up a couple Green Mound junipers. I thought they were just a renamed procumbens nana, but the foliage looks a lot bluer.

Then I found some nanas for $5 each. Went back to get a couple more and they were marked down 50%. So now I have 11 one gallon nanas sitting around.

Tonight I did an initial styling and repotting on one of the one gallon nanas. I'm still learning a lot about styling and wiring, but I think it came out ok. Better than in the picture.
I like it! I think you did well. Isn't it funny how they never look as good in the pics as they do in person?

I see some dynamic movement, you created some negative space, seem to have left enough green to keep the tree happy and in places that will improve the tree as it fills in. I might shorten one of the Jins if it were mine, and that long branch that is bared but not completely carved down sticking off the side.. Is that still living or is it going to be a Jin? Cannot tell from the pics... Either way, I think it needs more movement if it is sticking around! A bit more detail wiring down the road, a couple years of growth and direction... Could be a nice little tree! The only fault with the stock itself is the lack of low movement in the trunk.. The angle it exists the soil makes up for that some but it would look better with a bit more curve right near the base.. You could kind of "fake" that eventually with a Twisting Shari perhaps but it looks like it is too late for wire.

I have a bunch of these guys! More than I even realized once J saw this thread and started doing a mental breakdown of my own! I have 2 recently purchased nursery trees and this one I just pulled into the garage for a bit of work. This image is after just a few clips, still mostly raw... I am not feeling really well tonight but if I am up to it I will try to get an initial styling done and perhaps we can compare notes? :) image.jpeg
Also, if I find the time I will try to photograph some of my finished ones to add to this thread... Perhaps we can make a true "mega tread" as probably damn near every one of us has had or still does have one or more of these guys lying around!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is about as far as I got tonight! All I have done this far is a bit of pruning- might be able to get some wire on it tomorrow. I was hoping to be able to see the trunk better in these pics, but it is tough to be real selective with an iPhone... Again, perhaps tomorrow I can take better pics too.

This one has OK movement down low and it gets much more interesting as you final the trunk.. I thought when I picked it up that the trunk was a bit thicker, but this is still a baby really! Still a cute little tree and shoul look pretty slick in an unglazed pot with a little more work! I will try to get some shots of my better pro-Nanas tomorrow as well..
image.jpeg
The reason these guys especially don't look as good in images has to do with the lack of depth of the picture. Front to back movement is almost eliminated in photos, making a dynamic trunk seem static sometimes.. Better lighting, better angles, better camera... Can help with that... Some!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Green Mound can't be procumbins Nana...

Cuz mine is alive! And......growing......and pretty vigorously!

While my nanas are dying, dead, or in decline.

Sorce

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have 4 but they are in grow out stage and not sure if they are ready for pics yet. Mine dont seem to have the growth this year that im accustomed too, perhaps it all the rain we are getting and no sunshine. They are also still in the nursery soil they came in, i was going to repot this year, but with the move, just didnt get around to it.

Rick

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One from a nursery 4 years ago when I started back up. It was in a 3 gallon nursery bucket. I took it home and instant bonsai'd it. I cut the 3 foot long sideways growing top,barerooted it,cut the roots back and put it in the pot in early summer. All in one day. It could use a repot but it isn't time yet. A couple more weeks. Judging from the picture it needs a little thinning too! And maybe some wire.
20150801_120530.jpg

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One from a nursery 4 years ago when I started back up. It was in a 3 gallon nursery bucket. I took it home and instant bonsai'd it. I cut the 3 foot long sideways growing top,barerooted it,cut the roots back and put it in the pot in early summer. All in one day. It could use a repot but it isn't time yet. A couple more weeks. Judging from the picture it needs a little thinning too! And maybe some wire.
View attachment 106528
Now thats a trunk my friend..great job

Rick

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 106528
And some deadwood! Some say all bonsai "deserve" a deadwood feature, that is especially true of Juniper IMO! Chunky little monkey ya got there Mike!

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ive been feeding mine since i moved down here, but only root fed. Does anyone folier feed their junipers.

Rick

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And some deadwood! Some say all bonsai "deserve" a deadwood feature, that is especially true of Juniper IMO! Chunky little monkey ya got there Mike!
There is some deadwood you can't see in the picture. Compliments of the voles. Naturally made you might say.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it! I think you did well. Isn't it funny how they never look as good in the pics as they do in person?

I see some dynamic movement, you created some negative space, seem to have left enough green to keep the tree happy and in places that will improve the tree as it fills in. I might shorten one of the Jins if it were mine, and that long branch that is bared but not completely carved down sticking off the side.. Is that still living or is it going to be a Jin? Cannot tell from the pics... Either way, I think it needs more movement if it is sticking around! A bit more detail wiring down the road, a couple years of growth and direction... Could be a nice little tree! The only fault with the stock itself is the lack of low movement in the trunk.. The angle it exists the soil makes up for that some but it would look better with a bit more curve right near the base.. You could kind of "fake" that eventually with a Twisting Shari perhaps but it looks like it is too late for wire.

I have a bunch of these guys! More than I even realized once J saw this thread and started doing a mental breakdown of my own! I have 2 recently purchased nursery trees and this one I just pulled into the garage for a bit of work. This image is after just a few clips, still mostly raw... I am not feeling really well tonight but if I am up to it I will try to get an initial styling done and perhaps we can compare notes? :) View attachment 106475
Also, if I find the time I will try to photograph some of my finished ones to add to this thread... Perhaps we can make a true "mega tread" as probably damn near every one of us has had or still does have one or more of these guys lying around!

That long left branch started to split when I was bending it. Then I looked and decided it was too long for the sillouette anyway. Left the wire on and cut the rest of the foliage off so it would be a Jin in the future. Definitely going to shorten it, I just didn't want to fiddle with the wire.

My plan is to extend a Shari from the base to that first jinned branch on the right eventually and hopefully that helps distract from the lack of low movement. I don't think I could have bent it near the base. There doesn't seem to be enough leverage to bend down there. Or maybe I just need to learn how to bend. :D

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont remember the trunk being that big.

Rick
It was. You were looking at a lot of trees that day though. Trying to take in all of the sights and me jabbering away the whole time.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2016-03-27 21.53.19.jpg Taken from a landscape job after about 3-5 years of growing in the ground. Then I brought it home and reduced it down to this.

2013 Fall.jpg
First design.

2014-04-04 15.42.23.jpg

2014-04-04 20.34.30.jpg

Which has got me to the first image.

Attachments

• 2013 Fall.jpg
    2013 Fall.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 2014-04-04 15.42.23.jpg
    2014-04-04 15.42.23.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 267