Procumbens juvenile foliage?

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the photo is this what is referred to as juvenile foliage?

Attachments

• 20230505_112751.jpg
    20230505_112751.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 92

WinstonWolfe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yes, that will change after a couple seasons undisturbed. If it is continuously trimmed, it may take longer.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
AFAIK, j. procumbens is full-time juvenile foliage form. I don't think it's going to revert to scale foliage.
If you wait long enough it can happen, just be patient and don’t upset it!

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
In the photo is this what is referred to as juvenile foliage?
AFAIK, j. procumbens is full-time juvenile foliage form. I don't think it's going to revert to scale foliage.
Im with Macie on this, procumbens and san jose are almost always juvenile and cannot be styled or pruned without reverting to juvenile with full force for a LONG time. Procumbens will only reach 25% scale-40% scale tops, if undisturbed and optimal conditions for years without pruning or styling(my conclusion from obsessive research on bnut and rest of internet).

IMO, embrace the juvenile foliage on the procumbens, and style it how you want. Make it the most interesting tree possible to the best of your abilities. Don't bother trying to go full scale. There's tons of world class procumbens that sport the juvenile leaves proudly.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Achieving adult foliage is very difficult, but it is not impossible. I didn't believe it myself until I saw it in person. Here is my sensei's "first tree" that I think people in the area are familiar with, as it has been shown a few times. It is consistently 90%+ adult foliage. These pictures don't do it much justice, but it looks almost like Itoigawa in person. In the close up, you can see some of the juvenile foliage pushing through, but the vast majority is scale:

1684183979632.png1684183964714.png1684184004425.png

Just to get some idea, this has been in a bonsai pot for 30+ years. I'd probably go with the other's suggestion and embrace the juvenile foilage, unless you have a lot of time and patience ;)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These threads ALWAYS get me, and not in a bad way.
It just catches me off guard. I'm just hard of learning I reckon.
I have more procumbens than anything, and they go scale in areas where I've
disturbed them more than usual. I should stay away from these threads because they make my mind go upside down.
To me, they're needle and stay that way until I thin a good deal, then they throw scale foliage which
I hate amid the rest of the needle foliage. I have embraced with love, the needle foliage of procumbens 😂
It's just me. I'll be ok. I'm just glad someone replied before me this time lol. Old dog not tricky here.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
These threads ALWAYS get me, and not in a bad way.
It just catches me off guard. I'm just hard of learning I reckon.
I have more procumbens than anything, and they go scale in areas where I've
disturbed them more than usual. I should stay away from these threads because they make my mind go upside down.
To me, they're needle and stay that way until I thin a good deal, then they throw scale foliage which
I hate amid the rest of the needle foliage. I have embraced with love, the needle foliage of procumbens 😂
It's just me. I'll be ok. I'm just glad someone replied before me this time lol. Old dog not tricky here.
Inconsistency bothers me as well. If I had a nice procumbens, I would try to keep it needle instead of having a variety blend of needles and noodles.

I can achieve 95%-100% scale with my parsonis with styling, so it's worth it for me to strive for scale for consistency's sake on those

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
All my Procumbens are needle, even the cuttings, even the old ones.
Perhaps, as @Wires_Guy_wires has said, it's also a matter of location?

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
All my Procumbens are needle, even the cuttings, even the old ones.
Perhaps, as @Wires_Guy_wires has said, it's also a matter of location?
I have a theory (loosely based on conclusions on my limited knowledge of junipers)that longer day duration in late autumn for regions closer to the equator can have an effect on foliage type for junipers, and when combined with low humidity, it's possible to retain/develop scale foliage as a greater % of total foliage.

So if ZombieNick's sensei is also in Los angeles, he would have the benefit of dry weather, and longer day duration in mid autumn, increasing the chances of scale foliage.

If someone on here has some knowledge on this, it would be interesting to hear

A few major cities and their late autumn day duration, and humidity

Rio
peak 13:30
May 15 11:01
shortest 10:43
humid

Miami
peak 13:45
Nov 15 10:53
shortest 10:32
humid

Los Angeles
peak 14:26
Nov 15 10:24
shortest 9:53
dry (more potential for scale foliage on juvi dominants?)

Amsterdam
peak 16:48
Nov 15 8:47
shortest 7:41
humid

Just some thoughts. It would be interesting to get a survey thread going of adult vs scale composition from different users and their different juniper types and map out a statistics based probability of foliage type.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have a theory (loosely based on conclusions on my limited knowledge of junipers)that longer day duration in late autumn for regions closer to the equator can have an effect on foliage type for junipers, and when combined with low humidity, it's possible to retain/develop scale foliage as a greater % of total foliage.

So if ZombieNick's sensei is also in Los angeles, he would have the benefit of dry weather, and longer day duration in mid autumn, increasing the chances of scale foliage.

If someone on here has some knowledge on this, it would be interesting to hear

A few major cities and their late autumn day duration, and humidity

Rio
peak 13:30
May 15 11:01
shortest 10:43
humid

Miami
peak 13:45
Nov 15 10:53
shortest 10:32
humid

Los Angeles
peak 14:26
Nov 15 10:24
shortest 9:53
dry (more potential for scale foliage on juvi dominants?)

Amsterdam
peak 16:48
Nov 15 8:47
shortest 7:41
humid

Just some thoughts. It would be interesting to get a survey thread going of adult vs scale composition from different users and their different juniper types and map out a statistics based probability of foliage type.
As you can see, Rio and Miami are pretty close.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Im with Macie on this, procumbens and san jose are almost always juvenile and cannot be styled or pruned without reverting to juvenile with full force for a LONG time. Procumbens will only reach 25% scale-40% scale tops, if undisturbed and optimal conditions for years without pruning or styling(my conclusion from obsessive research on bnut and rest of internet).

IMO, embrace the juvenile foliage on the procumbens, and style it how you want. Make it the most interesting tree possible to the best of your abilities. Don't bother trying to go full scale. There's tons of world class procumbens that sport the juvenile leaves proudly.
I suppose it’s a good thing that my procumbens ’Nana can’t read BNut then. It doesn’t know it’s not supposed to do what it’s doing.
IMG_1907.jpeg

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I suppose it’s a good thing that my procumbens ’Nana can’t read BNut then. It doesn’t know it’s not supposed to do what it’s doing.
View attachment 488534
I like this stuff, now there's an out of the norm nana!

What do you think is your juvi/scale ratio overall and how much work have you done to it in the past 12 months? Looks like 70-80% scale from that shot.

Are scale heavy procumbens common in your area? Could be genetic, or an exceptionally happy tree?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this stuff, now there's an out of the norm nana!

What do you think is your juvi/scale ratio overall and how much work have you done to it in the past 12 months? Looks like 70-80% scale from that shot.

Are scale heavy procumbens common in your area? Could be genetic, or an exceptionally happy tree?
I estimate it’s over 95% scale right now. That photo shows the largest patch of juvenile foliage on the tree. I did significant work on it in 2021. Repotted it last year, but didn’t really do much else with it. Here’s its progression thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/lorax7-procumbens-juniper-1-progression.52387/

My guess is that genetics and/or age of the tree are factors in the tendency to get back to mature foliage after temporarily reverting to juvenile. I have another procumbens of similar size and age, which likely originated from the same nursery (I‘ve been told by someone “in the know” that the local bonsai nursery here gets these junipers from Plant City Bonsai around Atlanta). That tree exhibits similar behavior. Leave it alone for the most part over one growing season and it’ll switch back to mature foliage.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I estimate it’s over 95% scale right now. That photo shows the largest patch of juvenile foliage on the tree. I did significant work on it in 2021. Repotted it last year, but didn’t really do much else with it. Here’s its progression thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/lorax7-procumbens-juniper-1-progression.52387/

My guess is that genetics and/or age of the tree are factors in the tendency to get back to mature foliage after temporarily reverting to juvenile. I have another procumbens of similar size and age, which likely originated from the same nursery (I‘ve been told by someone “in the know” that the local bonsai nursery here gets these junipers from Plant City Bonsai around Atlanta). That tree exhibits similar behavior. Leave it alone for the most part over one growing season and it’ll switch back to mature foliage.
Wow, really unique tree and phenomenal work, completely outside the box design. Did it start out as a raft?

That's the kind of tree that one can spend a REALLY long time looking at different angles, lots of effort going into 360 view not just front view, needs a video or in person to do it justice 👍

a procumbens that bred through enough generations of chinensis to hold it's scale foliage for longer? Cloned from a tree in nature or done intentionally by breeders? Either way, it's a really cool variety of procumbens and definitely not typical at all

Maybe after a few more years of BNuttery we will have access to a 23andme type database of tree genetics. send in a cutting and find your tree's 4th bnut cousins progression threads 🤣

Top Bottom