Procumbens Nana workshop with Roy Nagatoshi this weekend

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At this month's meeting this weekend with the Bonsai Society of Dallas there was a styling demo by Roy Nagatoshi on a collected olive tree and then I got the pleasure of going to a workshop with him on Procumbens Juniper.
The demo tree wasn't too challenging (Roy's words) because many of the branches were too thick to work with. Regardless, he gave a great demo.
The tree before major work:
20180505_100516.jpg
It was too tall so he chopped the top off and was going to jin it:
20180505_101647.jpg
After branch selection:
20180505_103415.jpg
I didn't get a really good final picture but here is *almost the front:
20180505_111105.jpg
Since the tree was getting raffled off at the end, he didn't finish all of the jin work so the new owner could do that themselves.
After the demo we had the workshop with him where we all got a Juniper to work on and got to take it home at the end.
Here is the one I got before starting:
20180505_134622.jpg
After cleaning it out, some branch selection and jin work, here is the finished tree:
20180505_154315.jpgIMG-20180506-WA0009.jpg

Attachments

• 20180505_103416.jpg
    20180505_103416.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 5

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice juniper you have there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm new to bonsai so sorry for the stupid question but I was not expecting for him to cut everything off! Does the tree not suffer from getting pruned like that?

And is Roy a well known artist? I just see online that he has a nursery in California. Cool Juniper!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm new to bonsai so sorry for the stupid question but I was not expecting for him to cut everything off! Does the tree not suffer from getting pruned like that?

And is Roy a well known artist? I just see online that he has a nursery in California. Cool Juniper!
It'll be fine. Those things bounce back from such treatment.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Like @M. Frary said, that's no problem for a tree like that. There's plenty of stored energy for it to bind back and that's actually how lots bonsai are started.

Yeah he's a definitely well known bonsai master. He was actually the one that provided the trees for the movie Karate Kid 3 which I thought was really cool. He talked a bit about that during his demo

Top Bottom