Procumbens question

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My intention is to get this juniper strong and to flush out a bit before repotting next season. Would it be better to keep it in the 2 gallon nursery pot or to put in the colander with bonsai soil?
Thanks for any thoughts and feedback!

Attachments

• 4977102B-AFCB-43E4-BD0C-41D75DC137BA.jpeg
    4977102B-AFCB-43E4-BD0C-41D75DC137BA.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 43

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would leave it alone for now and just feed heavily and ensure it’s in full sun.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no one real answer to this question.
Usually leaving it in the larger pot would get better results but that will depend a lot on the soil mix it is in and how root bound it currently is.
I find pots easier to maintain than colanders here. The extra air contact dries out colanders much quicker so unless you have experience with those I think a pot will give you a margin for error over summer.
NH has a very different climate so the colanders may be easier for your area.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave it in the nursery container for now. It’s healthy from what I can see. Skip the colander thoughts. Colanders are not a magic solution.

Shoshin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually leaving it in the larger pot would get better results but that will depend a lot on the soil mix it is in and how root bound it currently is.
I find pots easier to maintain than colanders here. The extra air contact dries out colanders much quicker so unless you have experience with those I think a pot will give you a margin for error over summer.
NH has a very different climate so the colanders may be easier
Th
NH has a very different climate so the colanders may be easier for your area.
Thank you for your thoughts. It does seem happy in this pot and does not seem to be root bound.
This is my first season with the colanders (not going too crazy with them). I have a couple pairs of smaller junipers, two in nursery pots and two in colanders. I suspect any difference may happen over several seasons? I am checking several times a day for moisture, especially when we have hit high 80’s and around 90. Is there anything else that I should know about them?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
next season.

Like ...season season? Or year? "Fake repotting season"?

Cuz the next season is summer and that's when I'd Repot it!

I think Junipers are efficient enough in root to not need a colander to build a good root system, but they can grow stringy swirly extensions so using them isn't without benefit.

Sorce

Top Bottom