Procumbens unintentional ground layer, can roots be cut?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I picked up this nursery stock procumbens a little over a month ago. It's doing well and I plan on keeping it in the grow pot for another 18 months while I slowly start styling and working on it.

It's got a pretty decent trunk but a large portion of it has been covered with soil while at the nursery and subsequently there are a heap of exposed roots coming off the trunk on the underside of the trunk. The trunk is thick and woody for quite a distance below the soil, the general shape is indicated in red.

The brown line shows the soil line and the green is the general area of roots in question.

My question is, over time can I reduce the exposed roots from that underside portion of the trunk and start exposing more and more of the trunk that's currently buried, creating a longer trunk to work with above the soil? If yes does this need to be done slowly over a few repots or can those expose roots be removed and the soil line reduced to my desired level in one go?

Attachments

• IMG_9664b.jpg
    IMG_9664b.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 61

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You can remove them, if they make up less than 25% of total root mass, you can do it all at once.
Thanks. That makes sense, I don’t know why I imagined they’d follow any other rules related to root pruning when repotting.
I guess the way forward then is to decide how much of the buried trunk I want to expose with each repot and then balance the “trunk roots” and “normal roots” removal each time to stay within 25% total root removal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Since junipers are root/shoot specific, it's always worth thinking about what those roots are doing.

If you intend to keep the left part of the tree, the right roots can be removed.

However, say you decide to cut those roots, and the left top (red). You will have severely reduced the roots necessary for the right top to live, so the entire tree may die.

Sorce

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to Crazy!

Since junipers are root/shoot specific, it's always worth thinking about what those roots are doing.

If you intend to keep the left part of the tree, the right roots can be removed.

However, say you decide to cut those roots, and the left top (red). You will have severely reduced the roots necessary for the right top to live, so the entire tree may die.

Sorce
Planning on keeping the left side, if I can figure out how to lift the main left branch up to get the tree taller. Either way I don't intend keeping the right regardless of what I do with the left, so I should be ok removing the right roots.

But anything can happen over time and I may change my mind. At least I have some of the answers I was looking for 👍

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also keep in mind you may get down to a cinch point, a "thin waist", if you keep removing stuff, so look lower, than cut high.

That said, I cut those surface roots off willynilly, they are usually only responsible for the latest crotch growth. Now is a decent time. Full moon in 3 days.

But a long slow game never hurts.
Cut a couple this moon, a couple the next.

Slow game all day!

Sorce

Top Bottom