Procumbens

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First time I have had one of these since 10 years ago when I killed one or two mallsai of this species. Hope this one has a better fate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 619
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 658
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 702
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 645
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 662

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I love those things; only wish I could find them with fat trunks!!

The local nurseries where I live material might yield 1 at best that has an interesting character to it and thicker than a magic-marker.

Your's looks like it has nice options, good luck with it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! I have one to small to actually work with...but was purchased at a local box store...I really enjoy seeing these styled and what ones can do with them.

How thick is your trunk on this one? Appreciated the photos...thanks again!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So tell me what the hell I am supposed to do with this thing!?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With winter dragging and this being the only tree I could get to on my yard not buried under snow I got stir crazy. With the help of a local forum genius in design ideas, I gave it a shot. The plan is tentatively to break up the left branch further into pads down the road. Thoughts comments appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 594
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 583

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've created an interesting trunk line with lots of curves. Its hard to tell in the photo but it looks like the large left branch could use a few bends to compliment the trunk, and I would also carve and reduce the jin as well. I think the tree is on its way to becoming an excellent bonsai.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You've created an interesting trunk line with lots of curves. Its hard to tell in the photo but it looks like the large left branch could use a few bends to compliment the trunk, and I would also carve and reduce the jin as well. I think the tree is on its way to becoming an excellent bonsai.

Thanks Barry. To be fair this wasn't my creation, but rather my implementation. I had help since I have a tough time seeing the tree within.

The plan is to reduce the large stumps left from removing the two lowest branches. Jin will likely be on the left side and right will be removed entirely.
The large left branch was actually pretty tough to bend but you are right that it could use a little more movement from what I have done thus far.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Guess we're in the same boat...sorry guess we must ride it out.

That's always a good excuse to buy another tree and try again while letting this one rest and develop.

There is nothing wrong with developing your own pre-bonsai. The term pre-bonsai does not necessarily mean a tree purchased from some pre-bonsai-grower-dude-who-charges-a-lot guy that sells from the back of his truck along the highway. Some people will argue you should pay a little or a lot to obtain material from someone who grows material just for bonsai. There is no guarantee that the so called pre-bonsai has had any more bonsai training than the nursery tree you now have. It's kind of like--- what's the difference between Kosher salt and just plain salt--- The blessings of a Rabbi? The same with some pre-bonsai. Some reputed grower of pre-bonsai walking the rows of trees saying: "Thou art bonsai", does not make for a significantly better tree. Some growers of pre-bonsai are worth what they charge; the problem is knowing which ones to trust.

Any way forgive me for the cabin-fever rant about pre-bonsai.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
With winter dragging and this being the only tree I could get to on my yard not buried under snow I got stir crazy. With the help of a local forum genius in design ideas, I gave it a shot. The plan is tentatively to break up the left branch further into pads down the road. Thoughts comments appreciated.

Actually you have this tree going in the right direction it just needs a couple of seasons to gain new foliage and fill out a little. You have a workable branch structure and nice movement in the trunk. You just need to let it wrest and see what it does this next year. But I believe you can now see that the key to making bonsai is not growing a tree into a bonsai but cutting one down into a bonsai.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually you have this tree going in the right direction it just needs a couple of seasons to gain new foliage and fill out a little. You have a workable branch structure and nice movement in the trunk. You just need to let it wrest and see what it does this next year. But I believe you can now see that the key to making bonsai is not growing a tree into a bonsai but cutting one down into a bonsai.

Thanks Vance. I'm going to let it rest this season and just give it fert to fill out. I'm learning little by little and this forum and it's members are a tremendous help.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think there is a good future here. Looking good so far.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks smoke, this was robs design and instruction so credit is truly owed to him. I just try not to mess it up too much

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NYBonsai, on your bottom left branch did you remove all the foliage? I ask becuase I have had several pro-nanas that when I remove all the foliage on a branch the branch dies, of course you may be making the branch a shari. I found they do backbud great when they are trimmed and some foliage is left on the trunk. They are also extremely brittle branches to bend and break easily.

ed

Top Bottom