Procumbens

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Healthy junipers can be aggressively worked in one go. I'd think thin/ prune and wire the canopy soon, then repot as planned at the appropriate time. As well as you don't remove too much foliage (you could easily remove 50% off of this one with no worries), and you don't absolutely brutalize the roots when you repot, you'll be fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone should rock this song while working on there trees!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Snow day today, and the office was closed so I gave wiring a shot. Thoughts, comments, advice all welcome. Forgive the cell phone pic, I acutally think it looks better in person and I rarely will say that about my work. I didn't touch the apex too much, would like to maybe bring it back more to the right. Repot in another month or two.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 154

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Snow day today, and the office was closed so I gave wiring a shot. Thoughts, comments, advice all welcome. Forgive the cell phone pic, I acutally think it looks better in person and I rarely will say that about my work. I didn't touch the apex too much, would like to maybe bring it back more to the right. Repot in another month or two.
Hood start. Wire all the way out to the tips. You think a bit more...get some light in there. The crown is where the money is. It's also the toughest part. Don't be afraid. Thin it out, picking what you want and wire those little guys...have fun!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Fraser. I'll be messing with the apex at time of repot, i probably should have yesterday to create a better image, but between my own hesitations and the snowblower calling me i just didn't.

There are like one or two branches in there on each side i'd like to bring down to develop into pads. It's very thick up top. I tend to run into difficulties separating to create small pads but i think once it grows out after this season i'll be in a better spot to do so.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The important thing to remember is; usually the top/crown/apex, what ever you wish to call it, always tends to be vigorous and should be thinned occasionally if you want to preserve the hard work you have executed on the rest of the tree.

Ideally you should be able to see some branches peeking through the foliage which usually means you have to pretty much wire and treat every little branch twig and stub individually. I know from experience that it is easy to ignore some of this with Junipers, especially if you get one portion of a tree to look like a foliage pad. It is easy to accept the "That's good enough" gambit.

Having said that I don't want you to think I don't like your work. I think you have done a good job and show a good eye. I'm just telling don't let yourself get lazy. Always look to being better tomorrow than you are today and today better than you were yesterday. To this day I wish people had mentioned things like this to me when I was starting out.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice and input Vance. Once i get to wiring the top i'll post a new pic up.

Any suggestions on how to tackle the lack of any wood to actually wire? it appears to be all green foliage shooting off the trunkline with pretty much no actual branches.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Start thining out the existing growth this will let light into the tree and promote growth. If it is in that condition I wold not wire to top I would thin it for at least another season.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice start NY. If youre going to repot it this year, I would wait for late May/early June. Seems to be the best time around here for them.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12 nice progression! Any updates on this one?

After last year's wiring i let it grow unchecked. Removed wire once it started to bite and left it the rest of the season. It will get another styling this spring to see if I can bring the shape further along.

Top Bottom