Procumbens

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice progression.

I especially like how much progress YOU have made in five years.

Thanks James. Progressions can really highlight the progress we make, along with the missteps as well. This image likely could have been achieved earlier in it's development, but it took me a while to get there.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree, really dark green and healthy! The mature foliage cool, but it will eventually open up and look like the other foliage, only tighter. It would be neat if it stayed that way.

Not necessarily true about the mature foliage reverting back. I've had these procumbens for many years and for most of those yrs they have been like what you see here, mature foliage that looks like shimpaku. :)

IMG_0283_pe.jpgIMG_0285_pe.jpgIMG_0282_pe.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Not necessarily true about the mature foliage reverting back. I've had these procumbens for many years and for most of those yrs they have been like what you see here, mature foliage that looks like shimpaku. :)

View attachment 243314View attachment 243315View attachment 243313
That is because what you have is not procumbens. What you have pictured looks a lot like the parsoni junipers I have growing in front of the house, and yes, you are correct, they most always have the "mature" foliage.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is because what you have is not procumbens. What you have pictured looks a lot like the parsoni junipers I have growing in front of the house, and yes, you are correct, they most always have the "mature" foliage.

Sorry my friend but what I have ARE procumbens junipers and not Parsoni. The pics below are of two of the trees I posted that are in their very early stages and have the procumbens juvenile foliage. After years of working them they now have the mature foliage . I can see how you might assume they were Parsoni as the foliage might be confusing at some point. :)

aaa jun lit 6-08#1.jpgjun7-07#11.jpgjun7-11#2.jpg

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry my friend but what I have ARE procumbens junipers and not Parsoni. The pics below are of two of the trees I posted that are in their very early stages and have the procumbens juvenile foliage. After years of working them they now have the mature foliage . I can see how you might assume they were Parsoni as the foliage might be confusing at some point. :)

View attachment 243604View attachment 243605View attachment 243606

OK, you can call them what ever you like, if procumbens makes you happy, I am all for it. I am not here to argue.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

View attachment 243604View attachment 243605View attachment 243606
I've always had a feeling that it was at the very least possibly to get mature foliage on these trees. Do you think you did anything in particular to encourage mature foliage or is it just a matter of age?

Edit: I didn't see the request to create a new thread before posting. My bad. On topic: The majority of my trees are procumbens and I aspire to have a tree as nice as OP. Also if there is a delete button for comments I cannot find it.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've always had a feeling that it was at the very least possibly to get mature foliage on these trees. Do you think you did anything in particular to encourage mature foliage or is it just a matter of age?

Yeah for sure age does have a lot to do with it, in fact two of the trees above are over 17yrs as bonsai and the other is 6yrs being potted and that one is about 90% mature foliage. I do have a way of working them that will bring the mature foliage but I won't mention it here as it would cause too much controversy and who needs that? :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah for sure age does have a lot to do with it, in fact two of the trees above are over 17yrs as bonsai and the other is 6yrs being potted and that one is about 90% mature foliage. I do have a way of working them that will bring the mature foliage but I won't mention it here as it would cause too much controversy and who needs that? :)

this is the second time I’m asking you to start your own thread for that discussion.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is the second time I’m asking you to start your own thread for that discussion.

OMG, chill out man, the topic came up about mature foliage and I just commented on it, no ones trying to go off topic and take over your thread, jeez.
I'm through here.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
looking at this one outside today, looks better than the photos let on. I gifted the cascade a few posts above so this one below is my only procumbens. Pruned a little but guess it could use a little more As it appears heavy. quite A transformation over the years!35A37B5F-FB97-47B7-AB43-BEFA5DB22301.jpegE2CA645B-A8CB-4A93-B1B2-2B58969DE612.jpeg

Top Bottom