Progress on a Willow Leaf Ficus

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone,

I thought I would share the progression of another Willow Leaf Ficus I have in my possession. I've had it since April 27, 2011, so this is the progress thus far.

First purchased from an online source:
wl3.jpg

wl4.jpg

wl2.jpg

wl1.jpg

Rootball before work:
wl5.jpg

Rootball after work:
wl6.jpg

Repotted:
wl7.jpg

wl8.jpg

wl9.jpg

wl10.jpg

I then chopped the tree and it backbudded like crazy:
wl11.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I then pruned the branches, but left the future ones:
wl12.jpg

wl13.jpg

And here it is today:
012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Thoughts/comments always welcome.

Engineer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was recently thinking about a trunk chop myself but was curious about the way to develop an apex. When you have a group of branches at the top all growing in a cluster like you do in your last picture how exactly do you go about picking a leader/ developing taper and hiding the cut?

All in all nice progression in my opinion :]

Thanks.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was recently thinking about a trunk chop myself but was curious about the way to develop an apex. When you have a group of branches at the top all growing in a cluster like you do in your last picture how exactly do you go about picking a leader/ developing taper and hiding the cut?

All in all nice progression in my opinion :]

Thanks.

Thanks Engineer!

What I'll do with that cluster here shortly is just determine which branch would be the best leader and cut the others away. The best way to avoid a situation like this is just to not let it happen. Pinch off the buds that you don't think will be the main leader. When you've got multiple branches coming from one spot they tend to create a bulge which looks awful. So I'll just select the branch that best hides the scar in the back and that seems to be growing the best.

Top Bottom