Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
April 2012
ViwEEAP.jpg
Seedlings collected in Portland, OR.

April 2014
9tsSW8C.jpg
This was a larger pot with way too much sand and bark compost.

June 2014
uXmwktG.jpg
Repotted.

May 2015
6DZ3w51.jpg

January 2016
VyPMkzP.jpg
9gCid9B.jpg
I repotted this tree into a 7-gallon grow bag with diatomaceous gravel and pumice. For aesthetic purposes I trimmed away some smaller surface roots that were crossing over other roots

I inoculated the roots with endo mycorrhizae and fed it Osmocote 14-14-14.

Updates will come as relevant. I’m planning to grow this into an informal upright.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I repotted this tree today. I thought the tree had been in the grow bag for two years but this thread conveniently documents otherwise. (The system works!!)

Freshly pulled from the grow bag:
IMG_0398.JPG

Root pr0n:
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG

Wired, chopsticked, and sphagnum-ed into a grow box at a new angle. I also chopped the secondary trunk and reduced some reverse taper above the second branch.
IMG_0403.JPG

Trunk caliper is 2.25" above the basal flare. The flare is looking pretty good, except one strong root may need to be heavily pruned in a future repotting. This tree is heavy and I'm glad this box has heavy duty utility handles installed on the sides :)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Lead reduction is easy enough. Petiole reduction is something I would like to see more of. Unrestricted tree vs shohin in training pot:
IMG_9262.JPG

Here's how juvenile foliage can appear:
IMG_9739.JPG

Also of note: tree C (I have about 5 of these) puts on about 5' of growth every year.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I repotted a bigleaf maple today. Looking through this thread, I guess it was this one. I'm pretty amazed by its progress!

It took me three hours to comb out and remove roots that weren’t well positioned. I bare rooted the tree and cleaned out all organics, including the coconut coir I had used way back in 2014.

More pics to come when the lighting is right.
F85D22AB-BE80-4813-BD2E-1E7972F21FA3.jpeg

Attachments

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repotted a bigleaf maple today. Looking through this thread, I guess it was this one. I'm pretty amazed by its progress!

It took me three hours to comb out and remove roots that weren’t well positioned. I bare rooted the tree and cleaned out all organics, including the coconut coir I had used way back in 2014.

More pics to come when the lighting is right.
View attachment 232624
That root system is awesome. Well done!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who knew those ginormous leaves could reduce so much?? I spent a lot of time around those maple tre9copes, growing up in WA. Love them! Great work!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who knew those ginormous leaves could reduce so much?? I spent a lot of time around those maple tre9copes, growing up in WA. Love them! Great work!
*maple trees* It was late at night and didn't catch the typoo_O

Peter44

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am coming in way late here. What kind of a maple is that you're working with here? Peter

Peter44

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leo...the maple that I have growing in the Mts around here is, Acer glabrum var. glabrum, also called Rocky Mt Maple. It has bigger leaves also when mature. I collected a very small one last year that defoliated completely when I collected but then can back after I tented it. It had small leaves. Will see what it looks like this spring. Peter