Progression of Acer palmatum ('Sango kaku' coral)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is better to let the trunk dry for a few days before putting the substrate around the ring. This is both a personal observation and and advice from a well known Japanese master.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It is better to let the trunk dry for a few days before putting the substrate around the ring. This is both a personal observation and and advice from a well known Japanese master.
I too have better success when doing this. However, I let the rooting hormone sit on there for the same 24 hours.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So don’t immediately apply root hormone and spaghnum moss?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So don’t immediately apply root hormone and spaghnum moss?
I wonder what happened with this tree.

Waiting a day or two would have no noticeable difference. There is a great write up here on Bnut (i think by the Nut himself) on the science of air layering. There is nothing that would be gained by letting the layer dry. It's going to have a moist substrate against it for weeks, likely months.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder what happened with this tree.

Waiting a day or two would have no noticeable difference. There is a great write up here on Bnut (i think by the Nut himself) on the science of air layering. There is nothing that would be gained by letting the layer dry. It's going to have a moist substrate against it for weeks, likely months.
I believe the intent is to make sure if there are any stray bits of exposed cambium they die. Sort of additional insurance against bridging.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taking a peek under the plastic wrap was on my to-do list this year. Ultimately, life caused other trees to be prioritized higher on the list.

Here it is, hardly recognizable without any pruning or pinching done this year.
BADC4C26-6DE8-4607-AD54-9470895CCB9B.jpeg

It’s been a doozy: deaths in the family, buying and renovating a home, heatwaves, a promotion, etc. I just might be able to separate the layer this year. We’ll see.

Top Bottom