Progression of an import juniper...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This thread is the progression of imported Itowgawa I bought from a friend who passed away (Paul Piptone) one of the good guys. I bought it from the first picture, because that's the way I have to buy all my trees. The second picture is after it lived with me throught the first year. The third picture is me and some hack, I'm the good looking one on the right. the styling took 8 hours. The last picture I took this morning. Spring is just around the corner here in Oklahoma, so the tree will need a haircut and a reppoting, if you will look at the roots in the second picture they are part of the nebari and the last picture the tree is pushing itself out of the pot. We are not through working on the Jin and Shari, so the tree should improve some this spring when Marco works on it some more. There are a number of reasons I like Marco and could right a page explaining them, but the main reason I like Marco working on my trees, he was trained by Kimura in the traditional Japanese style and that's what I prefer.
Harry
P.S. If this threads starts an argument I'm through !!!

Attachments

• juniper2.jpg
    juniper2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

tombeur

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This thread is the progression of imported Itowgawa I bought from a friend who passed away (Paul Piptone) one of the good guys. I bought it from the first picture, because that's the way I have to buy all my trees. The second picture is after it lived with me throught the first year. The third picture is me and some hack, I'm the good looking one on the right. the styling took 8 hours. The last picture I took this morning. Spring is just around the corner here in Oklahoma, so the tree will need a haircut and a reppoting, if you will look at the roots in the second picture they are part of the nebari and the last picture the tree is pushing itself out of the pot. We are not through working on the Jin and Shari, so the tree should improve some this spring when Marco works on it some more. Suggestions or coments are always welcome.

Harry P.S. If this threads starts an argument I'm through !!!

Lovely tree Harry ... and you ( the guy on the right lol) look great.

Cheers,

Steve

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Why do we have to have foreign material---foreign designer? Can't we use native trees and home grown designers / masters?

Why do we need all this foreign stuff?

P.S. If this threads starts an argument I'm through !!!

Just kidding Harry------LOL

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Why do we have to have foreign material---foreign designer? Can't we use native trees and home grown designers / masters?

Okay, Bubba ya got me good. Paybacks are hell. :)

Harry

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Well Harry , you know where to send it when you get tired of it.

BTW , who's the ugly old fart with you in the pic ?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Well Harry , you know where to send it when you get tired of it.

BTW , who's the ugly old fart with you in the pic ?

Some old retired fart I hired to pick up after me, fetch me stuff and find me women :)

Harry

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I love this tree. You've got the best trees of anyone who posts. You should start writing articles. You've got the trees to back up your opinions and viewpoints.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the complement, but I'm far from having the best trees. I have a few nice trees, but don't forget a gentleman named Walter.

Harry

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the complement, but I'm far from having the best trees. I have a few nice trees, but don't forget a gentleman named Walter.

Harry

Harry, where I come from,the mountains, if someone calls me a gentleman he is evilminded. Is this not the same in your neck of the world? :p

On another forum they called me 'jerk'. Now this would be more appropriate for this forum here.

Feels like we are all in a bar close to midnight. Most are half drunk. Some are full drunk, some are stoned. And all mutter strange things and nobody listens to what was said.

Now Harrry calls me 'gentleman' in this bar!! This is like asking 'do you want a glass to your beer?' Close to an insult.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry, where I come from,the mountains, if someone calls me a gentleman he is evilminded. Is this not the same in your neck of the world? :p

On another forum they called me 'jerk'. Now this would be more appropriate for this forum here.

Feels like we are all in a bar close to midnight. Most are half drunk. Some are full drunk, some are stoned. And all mutter strange things and nobody listens to what was said.

Now Harrry calls me 'gentleman' in this bar!! This is like asking 'do you want a glass to your beer?' Close to an insult.

Okay, Walter, in my neck of the woods you are a "Stand up guy" This can be an evil place if you are thinned skinned, but you never lose you cool and always have the right thing to say and have one of the best collections of bonsai I've ever seen and you are willing to share them with us for free.

Thanks,
Harry

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Incredible tree, Harry. Do you know how many years Mr. Piptone worked it?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Incredible tree, Harry. Do you know how many years Mr. Piptone worked it?

Paul never worked on it, what he did do was every year he would go to a wholesale nursery in California when importing was legal, send pictures of the trees for sale while he was there and let me pick out what I wanted. he would mark it up some to help his pay his expences, I wasn't the only one who bought from him every year, but he was fair with his prices and I could buy from home. Paul was a lawyer and by strange coincidence most of the trees I buy now come from a lawyer that deals somewhat similar to Paul, Paul was a straight shooter and so is Don.

Harry

Last edited:

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score

Okay, Bubba ya got me good. Paybacks are hell. :)

Harry

Harry,

Just could not pass that up.........

Walter has great trees but so do you..........

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Harry,

Thanks for posting this juniper, its a very nice tree. I really like the work you and Marco did on it and think it was a great first step in making it a great treee. I like the jins and the one coming out of the apex is great! This is an excellent tree.

I look forward to seeing what you guys do next..... oh, next time Marco is around your niece maybe you should make him wear a shock collar :)

Jason

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
boy 'o boy, what are feeding this guy. That's several years worth of growth in my backyard. Either I need to feed more or move my trees several hundred of miles south

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Harry,

Thanks for posting this juniper, its a very nice tree. I really like the work you and Marco did on it and think it was a great first step in making it a great treee. I like the jins and the one coming out of the apex is great! This is an excellent tree.

I look forward to seeing what you guys do next..... oh, next time Marco is around your niece maybe you should make him wear a shock collar :)

Jason
I slip stuff in his coffee, probably never happened to him before. :)

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
boy 'o boy, what are feeding this guy. That's several years worth of growth in my backyard. Either I need to feed more or move my trees several hundred of miles south

Hey Monk, We have a lot longer growing season down here and the kind of weather junipers like, that explains why I like them so well. Fertlize them, water them and keep the spider mites off of them and you can get pretty good results. never pinch the foliage, use sissors to trim the stem. The growth you see in the last picture is two years old. the summer after Marco styled it and last summer. Marco was disappointed, he thought it should have grown more, but you can never please Marco 100%

Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Monk, here's what I mean. The weather forcast for next week.

Harry

Attachments

• 7day.jpg
    7day.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 100
Top Bottom