Progression of my second shohin Shimpaku

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On this tree I plan to continue studying the finely ramified, triangular canopy, shohin Shimpaku informal upright shtick. I want a twisted trunk and stunning dead wood to be important features, as if this were more of a yamadori-inspired tree. I am intending at least 3–5 years of further development before it approaches something worthy of showing.

Obtained June 2015 in a 5" square plastic pot that was marked as a 'Fishtail' cultivar. Its price was $14.99 and I slip potted it into an 8" nursery pot:
IMG_7653.JPG

The tree showed decent vigor and by October 2015 its canopy was more full:
IMG_8063.JPG

Come October 16, 2016 I was ready to perform the first styling; I attacked it:
IMG_9775.JPG

Most of the foliage remains for tree health and the branch lengths are for the purpose of thickening its trunk. The trunk and primary branches are wrapped in a self-sticking bandage, which serves the same purpose as raffia.

The first branch at back left will definitely be removed. The next branch—which starts on the right side above the first winding of copper—is also a branch I am not planning to keep.

The angle of the leader needs work, but that will come in future stylings. My target height is no more than 8 inches.

I'm intending for the curly jin to be part of the final design. The back right branch will definitely be removed.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: the entire top is dead. The main trunk bend above the bottom two branches was not wrapped tightly enough to prevent separation of the bark. The harsh winter then contributed to dieback. The bottom branches are not very interesting. I might just give this tree away at a club raffle.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bummer, what did you learn?

Top Bottom