Its nice !

The first branch on the right is a bit to low for my taste
the first branch left as the first branch would look better ballanced imo

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice trunk you have. Can you wire in the winter where you are? If so, post it up after wiring, bet it'll be even better.

Saffa365

Mame
Reaction score
I've also got a trident that is due a repot this year , I'm seeing bud swell so is it safe to repot now ? Seems a little early but maybe not ?

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I've also got a trident that is due a repot this year , I'm seeing bud swell so is it safe to repot now ? Seems a little early but maybe not ?
I went with Lees advice In around 4 weeks the trident will be in leaf, I will be overnight protecting from the heavy frosts we have been getting

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I’m so looking forward to pottting my new Trident seedlings.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had its first repot in my care yesterday, Found even more trunk under the akadamaView attachment 177435
Had it been my tree, I would have potted it more to the right, and a little more upright.

There’s not much room for soil on the left side of the trunk. So, there’s room for roots. Roots on the left side support the branches on the left side. So, the tree may start to get unbalanced.

As gor the lower branch on the right: it needs it. But it should be much, much heavier. So don’t pinch it back, let it grow out, then cut back. Doing this repeatedly will build girth and taper.

This tree is of the “pine tree” style. Nothing wrong with that. But the stage of development is where the major structural branches need to be grown. NOT ramification. Too soon for that. Building this style of tree has 3 stages: 1) trunk and nebari; 2) structure branches; 3) ramification. You’re in stage 2, the early part of stage 2. Stage 2A: Building primary branches with girth and taper. Stage 2B is building secondary branches with girth and taper. Stage3 doesn’t start until 2B is complete.

Please read @MarkyScott’s most excellent thread “Ebihara Maples”. There’s tons of good info in there!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The lower branches where allowed to grow last year, I pruned them off over Winter.
I will continue to do the same,
Ok.

Here’s my big Trident. I feel that it’s in Stage 2B. The trunk and main branches are set, and I’m working on the secondary branches.

Here’s a pic of the “before” fall work, and an “after”.

Before:

7B96ED49-DAEF-4E1A-B8D0-7711EC713D43.jpeg

After:

E3C8F899-F235-4F34-957C-AC3657DEB734.jpeg

I’m still letting the bottom branches extend. Not that I want them longer, I want them to be fatter.

I only apply a very little wire over the winter. Most of the wiring is done in spring and summer when the new shoots are soft and flexible. The wire will only have to stay on for about 3 weeks! Then it’s lignified. Then, it’s grow out, cut back. Grow. Wire. Grow out. Cut back. Repeat...

Oh, in case you’re wondering, it’s in the deep pot because it’s screwed to a board, and buried about 2 inches under. Rehabbing the nebari.

Top Bottom