Progression series #2 – 10 Taxus bushes collected from a hedge

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've chronicled the progression of 6 Taxus bushes into various stages of bonsai and pre-bonsai. They were collected in 2006 from a certain hedge row.

(#1 here, #2 here, #3 here, #4 here, #5 & 6 here )

The Taxus bushes featured in this thread were from a second hedge row and were collected in Spring of 2011.

There were 10 Taxus bushes in the hedge growing alongside a wheelchair ramp. They let me dig the bushes for free and I agreed to replant 2 gallon Boxwoods in their place. ( Boxwoods were on sale - cheap ;))

1109101244.jpg

0402111325.jpg

Large roots were cut off with a reciprocating saw. Clay soil removed by water jet. Main trunk/nebari areas range in diameter from 4 – 7 inches.

0328111619.jpg

0401111739.jpg

I potted the bushes into the smaller size plastic concrete mixing tubs. Drainage holes drilled in the bottom. The bushes were tied into the tubs and secured from blowing over by driving wooden stakes into the ground and tying the bushes to the stakes.

0328111622.jpg

I allowed the bushes to grow freely through Spring 2013. I dug into the media and inspected the root zones and found the pots filled with fine roots. The bushes had many dormant buds lower on the trunks and branches. I knew from past experience that with the plants in a state of good vigor I would be able to cut some of the branches back in early spring before bud swell and see an explosion of growth lower on the bush. The cutback occurred spring of 2013. In the following posts, pictures will show the state of the new growth as of 9-1-13.

9 of 10 Taxus alive and thriving as of 9-1-13.

Some bushes will be ready for some initial styling next spring while others will need another year of top growth.

I’ll keep you all posted as individual bushes are trained and styled in the future.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Lots of promising material...looks like you're going to have a busy winter!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ric, a lot of great potential. And very nice of you to leave them with bushes and a clean area...pretty impressive in itself considering how dirty a process urban collections go.

You left quite a bit more foliage on the trees than I did...are you finding the recovery better (quicker and higher success rates) by leaving more green on your collected yews?

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ric, a lot of great potential. And very nice of you to leave them with bushes and a clean area...pretty impressive in itself considering how dirty a process urban collections go.

You left quite a bit more foliage on the trees than I did...are you finding the recovery better (quicker and higher success rates) by leaving more green on your collected yews?

I have not done a truly scientific experiment to prove "better" recovery :D
However, I operated from the standpoint of leaving as much foliage as possible and allowing the tree to abandon what it could not sustain with its reduced roots. This way the plant has maximum foliage to aid in recovery.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The tree in the third pic in post #3 has an amazing trunk. Also, all the material in your yard looks to all have incredible potential.

Rob

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What a great score! I really wish we saw more yew as bonsai. I'll be following this with great interest.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I have not done a truly scientific experiment to prove "better" recovery :D
However, I operated from the standpoint of leaving as much foliage as possible and allowing the tree to abandon what it could not sustain with its reduced roots. This way the plant has maximum foliage to aid in recovery.

Thanks Ric. That makes sense, and I agree with what my limited experience I have. The foliage I did leave is budding out faster than the bare wood. I plan to collect more next yr. so I'll def. leave more.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great material! It must have been quite a feat getting all ten yews out of the ground like that, but that's one heck of a score, and certainly worth the effort and post dig aches and pains. Yews may be my favorite conifer subject, and I'm quite envious of what you've got in your back yard. Have fun:),

Dave

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great material! It must have been quite a feat getting all ten yews out of the ground like that, but that's one heck of a score, and certainly worth the effort and post dig aches and pains. Yews may be my favorite conifer subject, and I'm quite envious of what you've got in your back yard. Have fun:),

Dave

Taxus is one of my favorites, too. Thankfully, these Taxus were growing in a more loamy soil on top of a clay layer that prevented deep root growth. Their roots were naturally more spreading.

It was an all-day event to get them out and potted up. The boxwood replacements had to wait ;). As I drive around the area towns, I constantly see more potential bonsai stock. I wish I had time and yard space to collect it. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom