Progression - Shohin Home Depot Mugo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one for you to sharpen your teeth on.

A couple years back I received this from a friend who paid four bucks or less for it at the local Home Depot. It is six inches tall from the soil level to the apex.

1) Shortly after receiving it.

2) After hacking it back to nothing.

3) The response, heavy budding

4) As it was last summer, still a long ways to go...

5) A top view in late fall 2006

Will

Attachments

• shohin mugo 001.jpg
    shohin mugo 001.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 281
  • shohin hacked.jpg
    shohin hacked.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 236
  • shohin budding.jpg
    shohin budding.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 339
  • shohin mugo 002.jpg
    shohin mugo 002.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 334
  • shohin mugo top.jpg
    shohin mugo top.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 215

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey, where's the cigarette pack?! How big is this guy - and when did you first buy him? (i.e. what is the time frame of each photo?)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, where's the cigarette pack?! How big is this guy - and when did you first buy him? (i.e. what is the time frame of each photo?)

Darn, I forgot the cigarette pack, rats!

This is six inches tall from the soil line to the apex. This is about two years worth of development, pines are slow....I had it for a year before i hacked it. I figure another two years will increase ramification and reduce the needles a bit. The branches are filled with buds now after cutting the candles last year, I'll remove most of them and do some reshaping and detail wiring this coming spring.

Suggestions are more than welcome.....

Will

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Will,
Is this your avatar tree? I'd enjoy seeing some other current views but I like where you are going with this.

As is usual with me when I see trees, the first impression is good ...I see a nice tree. Then my mind starts looking deeper and I see things like the C shape and the branch that appears to come from the inside of the curve ( I think it actually comes more from the back). I sometimes wish I hadn't heard of the 'rules' of design because they cause me to pick apart an otherwise nice tree.

How are your jack pines coming along?

Jay

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jay,

I agree with many of your observations, thank you. There is no doubt that this tree has a long ways to go yet. This spring I plan on giving this trunk a twist of just under 180 degrees just above the lower branches. This should give me a final trunk shape that I'll be happy with and add some character to the trunk.

Sometimes, just a twist is enough ;)

Please excuse the shabby virt, I need another coffee, I haven't reached my target heart rate for the morning yet.

Will

Attachments

• mugo 005.jpg
    mugo 005.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Valenwood

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How is the tree coming along if you don't mind my asking? I have a Home-Depot-sai Mugo as well and I'm in a state of consternation at the moment regarding the poor guy's future. Love the progression threads for technique/artistic enlightenment.;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I re potted it last year, just a slip pot of sorts to change the position. Funny you brought this up today, as it is one of the trees I am displaying at the church tomorrow, I'll take a couple pictures.

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Cool...
I bought 3 Mugos last Thanksgiving when we were in Oklahoma....Something to play with...
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a couple pictures from Thursday. After another serious hack back last year, there are buds galore, I imagine this 6" shohin will change quite a bit this year.

Will

Attachments

• shohin_mugo_040909_003_400.jpg
    shohin_mugo_040909_003_400.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 91
  • shohin_mugo_040909_012_400.jpg
    shohin_mugo_040909_012_400.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 97

packooh!!!

Seedling
Reaction score
wow will!!!!

a great job in just two years, congratulations.

I have one like this and I'm growing it on a rock, for a roots-on-rock style.
it will be the second time that I try it, the father of this one dies when was replanted but I made a air layer and with it i'm trying again

when the project be more desenvoluped i will show it

sorry for my einglish, i'm very un-trained

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you.

You're English is good enough to understand. I think the buds will bring new, compact, and shorter foliage this year and may make a dramatic difference in this tree.

Will

Top Bottom