Progression thread consolidation, and 'tree folio' view in user profiles

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
General Question:
I find myself sometimes making a thread that asks a question about one of my trees, then a progression thread of another tree of the same species. As a growing novice, cloning, airlayering, procuring trees, I am finding that it would be more reasonable and conducive to commentary and discussion with the community to consolidate similar trees into a single progression thread.

Ie- all of my small bougainvilleas in a single progression thread, all my bucidas in a single thread, all my small ficuses in a single thread, big ficuses in a single thread instead of a thread for each individual tree....etc.

Would it be spammy or bad etiquette to go ahead and make new threads that group my trees so that everything in each species/category is in a single place?

Suggestion:
A 'tree-folio (portfolio of trees)' view for each user that could be manually populated by a user by selecting the progression threads for each tree and placing it on the 'tree-folio' list.
To view the tree folio, click the user's profile and the list of organized threads will be visible. (either grouped trees into progression thread, or progression threads for individual trees).

If a similar feature/capability already exists, let me know guys! I think it would be fun and useful to be able to browse other people's trees in a more organized manner that omits questions, technique, and general discussion threads. Of course, it is up to each user to organize their progression threads and properly list it in their profile.

As a stop gap measure, I guess that I can make neater progression threads, then post the list of progression thread links in my profile.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Check out the Resources. Someone - I forget who - started cataloguing links to progression threads there for learning reference.

The tree-folio idea is kinda cool, though there's already a user photo gallery option. I haven't played with it, so I can't speak to how customizable it is.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It would be neat for each user to have a portfolio with a direct link in the profile next to each post. That way you can see the user’s trees before accepting advice.
Just add a link to their gallery to the profile pop-up like their location.

I get the feeling allot of these can already be achieved with only minor changes at most. Some of us just don't tend to use many of the functions already available on the site.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It would be neat for each user to have a portfolio with a direct link in the profile next to each post. That way you can see the user’s trees before accepting advice.
Yea, or in the signature, ordered by stage of development, with small hyperlinks to threads.

my tree collection for example:
Juniper Parsoni (link 1, 2, 3) Bucida spinosa (link 1, 2, 3, 4) Bougainvillea (link 1, 2, 3, 4)
Kishu (link 1) Tiger bark ficus (link 1, 2, 3, 4) Fukien tea (link 1)
Shimpaku (link 1, 2) Benjamina (link 1, 2, 3)

This is why I often preface when I am giving advice which is a reference of what I have read online, or by saying that it is personal experience with a specific tree that I am working on . Makes a big difference.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can put whatever you like in your signature, so no changes needed there. It's just not as convenient as on social media.

Seems to me that's the crux of this topic; making a very active forum more social-media-esqe with built-in standardized functions everyone has to use, but half of us still won't.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just add a link to their gallery to the profile pop-up like their location.

I get the feeling allot of these can already be achieved with only minor changes at most. Some of us just don't tend to use many of the functions already available on the site.
if there was an option when creating a thread to ADD TO TREE-FOLIO, and it places that thread link on the banner/profile popup in list format

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
exactly, more 'social media' esque is a great way to put it.

it would be very easy to identify who shares the most tree species with one's current garden collection, and that would make it possible to ask relevant questions via DM more effectively, or like previously mentioned, knowing the credibility of responses from subject matter experts who actually have a ton of experience with those trees.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check out the Resources. Someone - I forget who - started cataloguing links to progression threads there for learning reference.

The tree-folio idea is kinda cool, though there's already a user photo gallery option. I haven't played with it, so I can't speak to how customizable it is.

It was me 😀

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I certainly understand the desire.
I'm no programmer, but I think it would be ALLOT of work, quite the overhaul, to make everything happen the way it seems your hoping, but something like the option to add a thread to a portfolio like you say, that might be more practicable.

It was me 😀

Ah, that's better!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can always tag your threads with your username and the word “progression”. Then use the advanced search feature and search by tags.
1624809B-ADD3-4E3B-9A15-52B8D3CAB6C9.jpeg
If you’re new, maybe start a single thread called “My Projects” that you can update regularly throughout your journey. As you develop a few standout specimens, start a new thread featuring your development of that specific tree going back to its humble beginnings…just a thought.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You can always tag your threads with your username and the word “progression”. Then use the advanced search feature and search by tags.
View attachment 488884
If you’re new, maybe start a single thread called “My Projects” that you can update regularly throughout your journey. As you develop a few standout specimens, start a new thread featuring your development of that specific tree going back to its humble beginnings…just a thought.
Great input, i've been using progression *insert species* to see people's progression threads for given tree species and it has helped me find examples of quality work to emulate.

The 'what did you do today' thread has been a great way to find like minded nutters as well.

For now, instead of opening new threads for every new tree, I think I'm going to just add to consolidated species threads and just update those as I go along. Much easier to keep track of, and it will be more photo and update dense than individual tree threads.

I'm also going to put my tree threads in my profile posts and try to get it neatly in my signature, maybe it catches on!

Top Bottom