Progressions forum

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok, I accidently sent this message to the admin before I realized this forum existed and would've been the proper place to post it:
"Hello,
I'm sure you get site suggestions all the time, mine is, have you thought of a way to group long term tree progression threads together in one forum/place where it's easy for members to find them? https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/itoigawa-juniper-stock.8647/ I'm talking about threads like this. I don't know if the requirement needs to be 2-3 years to avoid someone starting a progression thread with 3 posts that ends, just to make sure the author plans to keep it going. I know for myself I love looking at progressions to learn the steps used in going from nursery tree to prebonsai to bonsai. Doesn't have to be limited to nursery trees of course but seeing the stages of development is very beneficial. I haven't found the book yet that gives that information outside of the usual "instant bonsai" section that probably turns a lot of people off to the hobby after those trees die, luckily I was too stubborn to fall for that. Thanks for your time & happy Easter!
Nathan"

what does everyone else think about this (now that I've proposed it in its proper place)? I know I like progressions as I feel everyone I read helps contribute to my knowledge base of whats possible with a tree, my bonsai vision if you will. To be able to see that that procumbens that looks at first glance as an obvious cascade has about 3 other better trees hidden in it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about you create a resource that lists the progression threads as links, by species and/or by topic?

Thanks for the nod BTW. That itoigawa is easy to overlook walking through my garden, but it is one of my favorite trees for many reasons. Nice base, taper, trunk movement, amazing foliage color and texture, and good development over time: I've worked on it with Peter Warren and Bjorn. Owen Reich has wired it out once too. It's been influenced by lots of hands over the last 6 years, but throughout, it's been my work and vision that has advanced it most.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Brian Van Fleet no problem, it's progressions like yours that help inexperienced members like me find the way from prebonsai/nursery stock to finished bonsai. Seeing examples of it is very helpful. I like your idea even better creating a resource.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I accidently sent this message to the admin before I realized this forum existed and would've been the proper place to post it:
"Hello,
I'm sure you get site suggestions all the time, mine is, have you thought of a way to group long term tree progression threads together in one forum/place where it's easy for members to find them? https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/itoigawa-juniper-stock.8647/ I'm talking about threads like this. I don't know if the requirement needs to be 2-3 years to avoid someone starting a progression thread with 3 posts that ends, just to make sure the author plans to keep it going. I know for myself I love looking at progressions to learn the steps used in going from nursery tree to prebonsai to bonsai. Doesn't have to be limited to nursery trees of course but seeing the stages of development is very beneficial. I haven't found the book yet that gives that information outside of the usual "instant bonsai" section that probably turns a lot of people off to the hobby after those trees die, luckily I was too stubborn to fall for that. Thanks for your time & happy Easter!
Nathan"

what does everyone else think about this (now that I've proposed it in its proper place)? I know I like progressions as I feel everyone I read helps contribute to my knowledge base of whats possible with a tree, my bonsai vision if you will. To be able to see that that procumbens that looks at first glance as an obvious cascade has about 3 other better trees hidden in it.

There is a giant one here

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think progressions are the most valuable tool for study.

A Couple things...

I Remember during the upgrades a while back, or at least I thought, at one point...

The thumbnails would scroll the entire thread of pics, rather than just one page.

That would be HUGE!

At least now that we can upload tons of pics...
It would be pretty easy for us to proactively go and put all our pics in one post.

It sure would make for a ton of cool updates!

What I know know...

I love my threads where I dug up old pics and added them...
Gives Patience and Progress a good Visual!

Creating Folders for each tree to move pictures to is great...

But I just load them here now.

An...

Auto scroll thru all option, with Lance gif delete....
Would be killer.

Sorce

Top Bottom