Progressive Maple - "Bigfoot" Trident

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree was nicknamed "Bigfoot" by another member of our local bonsai club. It was collected 2/21/15 from the growing fields of MBP Bonsai in Pflugerville, TX.

Our group collect about 10 trees that day. This was the largest, the trunk measured 6" at the original soil level.

Brian

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is my first post. Having difficulties with the photos. Any suggestions on the best way to upload?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is my first post. Having difficulties with the photos. Any suggestions on the best way to upload?
Click the Upload a File button. If it refuses or times out, the photo is too big, and you'll need to reduce the file size. Not convenient, but if you're working from an iPad, you can email the image to yourself, and change the file size in the email. Save it, and upload the new, smaller version. Or, change the settings on your camera.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just watched season 4 of the X files, episode with "Leonard Betts" I'm wondering if this creature similarly radiates some sort of energy that nullifies any actual image of itself from being viewed.

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This trident has a long way to go, but it is a good start. It is currently pushing buds and hopefully new roots are growing as well. The box is sitting on propagation mats in my greenhouse. I will post a new pic in about a month.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love stonkers !

Nice tree! Real nice!

Sorce

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree was nicknamed "Bigfoot" by another member of our local bonsai club. It was collected 2/21/15 from the growing fields of MBP Bonsai in Pflugerville, TX.

Our group collect about 10 trees that day. This was the largest, the trunk measured 6" at the original soil level.

Brian
"Everything is bigger in Texas." This remains true, I guess.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great looking tree - and what an awesome grow box, Brian!

Scott

Reaction score
Outstanding!!!! That is impressive, will be looking foward to see Bigfoots development. I was out of state for the MBP dig. Really will have to arrange everything around it next year.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Yup, a stonker alright. I too like that word! Doesn't look like this is your first rodeo, lol. Great looking tree:D

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont think i have the courage to remove that many roots in one season,especially in my area,nice tree.

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: 04-12-2015

7 weeks from being dug out of the ground, shoots are extending and new buds continue to pop all over the tree.

In the second photo you can see root tips that have already found their way out of the grow box. Shows just how important a good draining soil is to root growth.

The tree spent 3 weeks in my green house with propagation mats providing warmth underneath. It has been outside on the bench since March 15th. Organic fertilizer was applied 30 days post collection, after growth had really started to move.
IMG_0369resize.jpg IMG_0365resize.jpg

Top Bottom