Progressive Maple - "Bigfoot" Trident

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome tree. Did you know how many years it was field grown?

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree is about 15 years old and was put into the ground as a 2 year old sapling.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In the second photo you can see root tips that have already found their way out of the grow box. Shows just how important a good draining soil is to root growth.

Well that's one theory. The other possibility is that really awesome grow box its in.

Looks like it's healthy, Brian. Great looking tree. Watch for that lead curl and stay on top of it.

Scott

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Scott.

And yes, the craftsmanship on the box is excellent!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I know who made that awesome grow box!

Sorce

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update. This tree was worked on 7-16-2015. The large stub, left over from a sacrifice branch, was removed on the left side. Some branches were removed and others were shortened. Almost all the remaining branches were wired into a more desirable position.

I am hoping more buds pop on the back of the tree to create back branches. I need to select a new leader, but no branches are in just the right spot. There may be some grafting necessary in the future if buds do not emerge in these places.

IMG_0373-resized.jpg IMG_0375-resized.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update. This tree was worked on 7-16-2015. The large stub, left over from a sacrifice branch, was removed on the left side. Some branches were removed and others were shortened. Almost all the remaining branches were wired into a more desirable position.

I am hoping more buds pop on the back of the tree to create back branches. I need to select a new leader, but no branches are in just the right spot. There may be some grafting necessary in the future if buds do not emerge in these places.

View attachment 78307 View attachment 78308
Thought about removing that bottom left branch?

Not sure where you want a new leader to emerge, but I suspect the stump at the top is dead above where the branches are... At the very least, even if it isn't dead yet, the tree is not growing above that point and it will make it hard/ impossible to graft above that point...
It appears that you have branches at the side, front and back around that top stub, so you should be able to pick one of those as a new leader... OR ALL OF THEM.. look at trees in nature- there is not usually a single trunk extending in a line you can follow to the top. A tree this large would look better/ OLDER with a top that splits, flairs and becomes a dome of twiggy branches, not just a snaking, undulating single trunk. JMHO.

I think people (not you specifically Bg, just something I myself and many others I have noticed...) see the generic drawings of "Myogi" style in Bonsai books and think trees should look like that, but we would have a bunch of twins looking contrived (see the mass produced S curved Elms)... I prefer trees that look more like trees usually.. Especially with Deciduous trees! You have a chance to make a Bonsai that looks a lot like a tree here and I don't think finding ONE leader is the way to go if that is your goal!

Great trunk, lots of potential!

As far as grafts go, it looks like the nebari will need the grafts. I would make that your next focus.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A tree this large would look better/ OLDER with a top that splits, flairs and becomes a dome of twiggy branches, not just a snaking, undulating single trunk. JMHO.
Oh if it were that easy. That idea would have had to have been thought about way before where it is now. It could be done now but would mean reducing the trunk to as much as half. Not that prudent a way to use all that wood he paid for.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh if it were that easy. That idea would have had to have been thought about way before where it is now. It could be done now but would mean reducing the trunk to as much as half. Not that prudent a way to use all that wood he paid for.
You are probably correct... It would need to be reduced a bit.. Perhaps not full on half the tree, but no matter the direction he choses another cut needs to be made to get to living tree. Almost no branch development has happened so far, not too late to start it off right. Counting down from the top, the second full set of branches is the area I would target and make a really small scale of that "modified broom" sort of look I we as talking about out of the top of the tree from there up...

Just an idea, based off a couple of 2-D images. Obviously it would be easier to tell in person what to do and where.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far I think he is on the right track for what he sees in his tree. Based on his friends and references, he has a good group behind him to make an excellent tree.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

View attachment 78307 View attachment 78308

B -

If you're thinking of grafting next spring, it's a good time to wire the shoot into place so that it will be ready when the time is right.

- Scott

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Eric - The tree is alive all the way to the top. The top had started to callous over before it was shortened. If you look at the last two pictures, the top was cut a little shorter, just above a live branch. I don't have a traditional moyogi style trident maple in my collection, so that is the direction this tree is heading. The bottom left branch could very well be removed in the future and there will definitely need to be some root grafts.

Smoke - I'm really looking forward to the development of this tree. We will see what I can make of it. And yes, I do have some good people around me to learn from.

Scott- I'll look tonight and see what could be wired into position for grafting next year.

Top Bottom